Another Cheap Project - Warhead - FINALLY DONE!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well here I go again. I really enjoyed the Project Cheap-O-Maxx so I bought another cheap truck to rebuild and it just arrived yesterday. It looks to be in fairly good shape and shouldn't take a lot to get it going but there is no deadline so it may take longer to complete. Ok, probably not! I already have all the parts on the way to complete it!

Here's what I bought to start with. It's a Duratrax Warhead(not EVO). It came with the radio,original manual,papers,dvd, a rechargeable ignitor, tools and a couple of extra glow plugs. It's even in my favorite color!

thestuff.JPG

topless.JPG

Some careful inspection revealed the few things it'll need. A new spur gear, rod end for the steering link, and skid. I guess Duratrax doesn't use any coatings on the steel parts, they all have surface rust on them but that'll all get polished off!

toastedspur.JPG

brokenend.JPG

brokenskid.JPG

So there she is. I'll have parts by the end of the week but I still have a couple of other items to fix first, so there probably won't be any updates at least until then.

Warheads aren't real popular on RCNT, is there a just reason for that? We'll soon see. I like to try things myself so I'll see what I think after I get some run time.

I know there are some Duratrax haters, but any/all comments welcome.

Enjoy the pics
- Randy -

Warheads aren't real popular on RCNT, is there a just reason for that? We'll soon see. I like to try things myself so I'll see what I think after I get some run time.

I know there are some Duratrax haters, but any/all comments welcome.

Enjoy the pics
- Randy -

Besides the fact that it's DuraTrash? :hehe: Really, there is nothing wrong with DuraTrax--I use a few of their products, and have thought about getting an Evader. Keep the pictures coming!

Looks like a fun project. Got those chevrons today! Great deal man thanks!

I enjoyed reading the Cheap-O-maxx a lot, so ill definatly be keeping tabs on this one!
Good luck!

I know. Shows how much I did with it when I got it. I had no idea there were other parts broken.

Odd that it rusted that bad. I remember reading about it in XRC mag. The engine can be hit or miss. The one they got in their rig was definitely miss. The carb would spin on the carb neck, which means severe air leak out of the box!. Other than that and using phillips vs hex, they seemed to like it.

Looks like a decently built rig. I thought the throttle/trans linkage looked a bit on the annoying and complicated side.

What's the diff between this and the EVO? WTH is the EVO?

EDIT:
I just looked closer at the photo's. You weren't kidding about "every part rusting"! Looks like someone sanded every metal part, then stored them in salt water for a month! Every single metal part!

What's the diff between this and the EVO? WTH is the EVO?

I haven't figured out what the EVO means but here's alist of whats different.

REPLACEMENT PARTS:
DTXC7707.........3 Pin Flywheel
DTXC7158.........3 Pin Clutch Shoe (3)
DTXC7166.........3 Pin Clutch Spring (3)
DTXP6033 .........Super Start Back Plate Set
(Which includes the following):
DTXP6053 .........Super Start Spur Gear
DTXP6061 .........Super Start Gearbox Set
DTXP6044 .........Super Start Connecting Joint
DTXP6042 .........Super Start Washer
DTXP6041 .........Super Start Screw And Washer Set
DTXC9304.........Updated Slipper Clutch Set
(Which includes the following):
DTXC9404.........Updated Spur Gear 49T
DTXC9301.........Updated Slipper Clutch Inner Plate
DTXC9302.........Updated Slipper Clutch Spur Gear Plate
DTXC9303.........Updated Slipper Clutch Thrust Bearing
DTXC9304.........Updated Slipper Clutch Set
DTXC9306.........Updated Slipper Clutch Spring
DTXC7818.........Fuel Shut Off Clamp
DTXC6829.........Updated Front Bulkhead Set
DTXC8877.........Updated Servo Saver Set
DTXC7819.........Updated 165cc Race Fuel Tank

Maybe EVO means Evolution, like the Lancer Evo, but from the list, I don't really see an evolution. It's mostly for the engine and tranny.

Last edited:
Maybe EVO means Evolution, like the Lancer Evo, but from the list, I don't really see an evolution. It's mostly for the engine and tranny.

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. I found a complete conversion kit for under $20, so I'm going to go ahead a get it, can't hurt to have some extra parts.

Definitely. You should. Looks like a great build man! Keep it up.

Good News Bad News

Time for an update here.

I picked up the new parts I ordered Friday so I figure it's time to take things apart and see what else I can find.

newparts1.JPG

I started with removing the tires/wheels fuel tank and engine.

stripped1.JPG

I removed the clutchbell to clean up and check out the clutch shoes. Bam! There's another problem. The clutch spring is broken. It's the old 2 shoe style and one shoe has some damage(still usable though) so it's time for more parts! Looks like I'll be getting the EVO upgrade kit right away :D

badclutch.JPG

Next I pulled the cooling head and button to check out the internals of the engine. With the way everything else metal rusted I was a bit worried about the engine even though it is supposed to only have break-in plus 2-3 tanks on it. I was very happy to see another clean piston and sleeve. Looks like it's going to be good :thumbup: Make sure nothing dropped in the clyinder, added a couple of drops of oil and put it back together. This engine is still very tight,the glow plug is good so it's done until the new 3 shoe clutch arrives.

whengine1.JPG

I polished the pipe and header, cleaned and Armoralled the tires/wheels and cleaned out the fuel tank.

cleanparts.JPG

The only other thing for today was to install batteries and test the electronics. Everything works as it should but it didn't take long to decide the tranmitter needs to go. It was uncomfortable to hold and I didn't like the hard plastic steering wheel. I bought an Associted XP3D radio system for another project but it's going to be used on this truck for now.

That's all for now, until next time : HAPPY NITRO BURNIN!

Dang. I had no idea about any of that. Shows you just how much I did with it.

So how you making out so far Racer? I tore mine down to a pile of parts and started putting it all back together tonight. I think I now know why the LHS charges $50/hr to work on the Warheads. lol Some things go back together completely in a baffling manner. I think I had to remove the skid plate no less than 5 time to tuck other crap in where it's supposed to go, even though the steering knuckles bolt to it directly.

VERY odd setup.....and I wouldn't say HARD to work on, but FRUSTRATING is a better word. Once I get familiar with the oddities though, it seems pretty easy to work on.

I got the frame all back together and the electrics are all back in place and working correctly. Just need to slap the motor back in, bumpers, and front/rear skid plate and I may be able to drive it for another 5 min. lol I'll post pics tomorrow.

I definately agree with you, they did some odd engineering on this puppy.

I really haven't done much more to mine. I'm working on this one at home and I don't have place to spread out and leave it whenever I'm done for the day. Plus I have few other things that need done first.
I did pick up the rest of the parts I need, just need to find(take) time to do the work.

Oh parts are dirt cheap. I just bought a ton of them that were needed. The EVO Upgrade is like $13 or something silly. I plan to buy 2 or 3 just because they come with some extra clutches and slipper discs and such ;-)

Installing/uninstalling the parts that presents a challenge from what I'm seeing. It's not hard if you pay attention, but as Racer said...they have some odd engineering to them for sure.

Back