And so it begins ...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicoBanderez

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well folks I’ve not been here for a while ... I finished all my research, got my cash up together ready to buy all the bits and pieces I need to get the thing running and the day has finally arrived. It’s my birthday and here is my kit!

image.jpg
image.jpg

happy b-day! and was wondering when you were going to start the build thread haha! can't wait to see progress!

Great birthday present. Please keep us abreast of the build including pics

No building just yet .. I’ve got a weeks holiday on the approach in August which might end up being a build week.
I need to buy all the servos, radio and engine kit which I will do today.
Thanks for the wishes everyone!

Hi all,
All servos and radio etc all bought.
For anyone interested, to go from nothing to owning a half way decent nitro 1/8th scale RC car with again half way decent radio kit has cost who has grand desires of building and tinkering, cost £871.52 which is 8.94% more than I wanted to spend (was trying to achieve full build for £800).

So lesson for anyone looking to get into RC nitro cars it’s going to take some cash ... and I’ve got no experience yet with routine / non-routine maintenance so I’m expecting the cost to rise some more yet.
I might post my full shopping list (if anyone wants to see it) because I reckon I’ll end up touching the £1000 mark when I start running.

I reckon if I’d gone for a cheaper HaBao buggy I reckon I’d still need £600-£700.

Attachments

• 67F9553F-560F-43EA-9C2F-39C1BCF8FF11.jpeg
    67F9553F-560F-43EA-9C2F-39C1BCF8FF11.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 156
Hi all,
All servos and radio etc all bought.
For anyone interested, to go from nothing to owning a half way decent nitro 1/8th scale RC car with again half way decent radio kit has cost who has grand desires of building and tinkering, cost £871.52 which is 8.94% more than I wanted to spend (was trying to achieve full build for £800).

So lesson for anyone looking to get into RC nitro cars it’s going to take some cash ... and I’ve got no experience yet with routine / non-routine maintenance so I’m expecting the cost to rise some more yet.
I might post my full shopping list (if anyone wants to see it) because I reckon I’ll end up touching the £1000 mark when I start running.

I reckon if I’d gone for a cheaper HaBao buggy I reckon I’d still need £600-£700.

Have you considered about getting a good used nitro RC to learn with?

Have you considered about getting a good used nitro RC to learn with?
I did consider yes and (not that it’s a great reason) my decision to buy new was the ability to have a base knowledge about what things should look like when new. I wouldn’t be able to decipher if things are broken / warn with buying second hand because I wouldn’t have the prior experience of knowing what new and good looks like. The added benefit is that I get warranty on many things as the support of the shop to talk to .. so ... considered yes but decided to go new.

I did consider yes and (not that it’s a great reason) my decision to buy new was the ability to have a base knowledge about what things should look like when new. I wouldn’t be able to decipher if things are broken / warn with buying second hand because I wouldn’t have the prior experience of knowing what new and good looks like. The added benefit is that I get warranty on many things as the support of the shop to talk to .. so ... considered yes but decided to go new.
Have you ever built a kit before? Losi has very good instructions, though some things aren't as clear as they need to be, the diffs can be tricky to get right. The setup for the brake and throttle needs some patience to understand, it's easy to get it to work, but if you know how it is adjusted it will help you with break bias in the long run. It is a far superior buggy to a rtr, you will enjoy it mate. Just take your time and have fun building it, it's a great exercise.

Yes ,building a kit would definitely teach you how things go together an work!

In fact ,kit building is always urged because of that ,an is the best way for beginners & racers!
I had bought second hand stuff that didn't even touch the ground ,but ,you may not find or be
that lucky ,however ,you do have a very good point in buying new as they haven't been altered or tweaked!...:thumbs-up:

More fun stuff for the build has arrived!!
Just need to actually build now.

Attachments

• C5761371-48DC-4F4C-9C6C-BB3AC9F094B7.jpeg
    C5761371-48DC-4F4C-9C6C-BB3AC9F094B7.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 199
  • 8945E833-8973-448C-8A98-C25BF807BE32.jpeg
    8945E833-8973-448C-8A98-C25BF807BE32.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 647253EE-165A-4932-BB8F-DE2FBFB47BFB.jpeg
    647253EE-165A-4932-BB8F-DE2FBFB47BFB.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 179
Guys,
I’m starting to get ready to build and the kit it calling for some “Motor Spray” which looks like it could just be their own version of GT85 or WD-40 ... what do you all think?
I want to make sure to follow the instructions exactly and I can’t get past the 1st page. I’ve got GT85 and I can pick up some WD-40 but is one of these the usual off the shelf equivalent?
Thanks all

Last edited:
Guys,
I’m starting to get ready to build and the kit it calling for some “Motor Spray” which looks like it could just be their own version of GT85 or WD-40 ... what do you all think?
I want to make sure to follow the instructions exactly and I can’t get past the 1st page. I’ve got GT85 and I can pick up some WD-40 but is one of these the usual off the shelf equivalent?
Thanks all
as long as it has a high alcohol level for quick drying and is plastic safe you should be gucci

WD40 contact cleaner is what I’ve gone for.
Thanks folks

Hi all,
Servo saver mech done. My fingers are already sore from all the little fiddly bits and trying to tighten the nut under the spring.
The instructions state to tighten the nut all the way and then back off 5 1/2 turns but I don’t think I’d get it all the way by hand. As you see it in the picture it’s as much as I could do by hand

Attachments

• 703D5A05-B7A7-45B0-9822-D4F12428D304.jpeg
    703D5A05-B7A7-45B0-9822-D4F12428D304.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 177
  • C8E5FE3A-B468-4514-A12F-44C877A16039.jpeg
    C8E5FE3A-B468-4514-A12F-44C877A16039.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 159
Back