An odd servo problem...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC48

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm having a rather odd problem with my servo in my X-Terminator. It is the XTM X-77 servo used for steering. I am using an Airtronics Blazer Sport radio with it and have not had any problems until now.

Anyway, here is the problem: The servo always goes all the way to the left when it should be centering. But, when I use the throttle servo the steering servo will center again. As soon as I let of the throttle the servo will shoot to the left again. Basically, with out turning the wheel on the Tx the servo will center when I use the throttle. If you can't understand I'll try to explain better, anyone know what's going on?

P.S. I'm using 4 AAs and they were changed 3 days before this.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Just to save yourself some time and aggravation, put fresh batteries in it. If it does the same thing, your other batts are still good for spares.
Earlier this summer when I was burning a gallon a week, I had to replace the receiver batteries daily, and they were alkaline. The steering servo can drain a lot of power. I've since replaced the battery pack with a NiMh hump pack.
If your problem doesn't change with the new batts, get back to us for more info. Do you still have a good range? Have someone stand by the car while you walk away and move the controls. If you have a shortened range, it could be a broken or disconnected antenna wire.

few things I would suspect in addition to power....

Bad Centerring Pod on the steering servo
Possible Mixing enabled on your TX (if it even has it)
Possible short in your receiver
Possible short in your servo
Wacky POtentiometer in your transmitter

If changing the batteries doesn't do the trick, the try another servo before you go freaking out ripping stuff down to the extreme. It will quicly rule out whether or not you have an actual servo issue or TX/RX issue.

These types of issues require a process of elimination to identify the root cause.

Ok thanks guys, I'll get some new batteries after work today and get back to you.

Well, I went and picked up some new Alkaline Batteries after work. Now there is a completely different problem. Now the servo will never center. If I turn to the right the servo will go right slowly with some twitching, and will not go back to center. It won't go left. Normally when I try to turn the servo while it has power it will give resistance to stay in the center, however this servo doesn't. It just goes to where I push it. I think it is fried... any thoughts??

I know your not stupid, so don't think i'm saying it as if you were,
but, did you switch the wires in the reciever??

You mean put the throttle wire in the steering plug and the steering in the throttle right? lol. Well, I have done this before, but...

No, the throttle servo still works fine when I use the throttle and the steering servo just twitches no matter what I do.

Switch them to see if the same servo still twitches. It's a quick way of testing if you don't have a spare servo to plug in.

Do you have another servo that you can plug into the reciever lose.
you don't have to uninstall the other one just unplug it.
see if it works??

Well I tryed a few things. I switched them and the throttle servo works fine in the steering input, and the steering servo still doesn't work even in the throttle input. I'm pretty sure the servo is dead.

Sounds like you figured it out. I've had massive servo/glitching issues. I've found that it's more pronounced when I use Hitec servo's vs traxxas/futaba/airtronics/jr servo's.

Yeah, its dead. I just switched out the HS-645MG out of the savage and into the X-Terminator. I'm planning on buying the XTM X-175 Torque Punisher for the savage. That servo has 175 oz./in. of torque at 4.8 volts, and I will be using 6.0 volts so it'll have quite a bit of power. Oh yeah, its only a lillte bit slower than the HS-645MG and it cost $34.99.

Yup, it's your servo. Just remember that quick test in the future. It saves hours of trying to figure things out.

Thanks for your help, I hate it when servos die!!! Earlier I found a rip in my fuel line, so when I would go to prime I saw fuel shoting out of it. I'm guessing that fuel got in it or something...anyway, everything works fine now. I changed the fuel line and put in the HS-645MG and its all working, but now I have to buy another servo...oh well.