American muscle or import power?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbgagnon

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys I was looking at some pics in the gallery when I came uppon somebody slamming a civic. So this came to mind......What do you prefer and why American Muscle or Imports with their no2 super/turbo chargers?

I'm on the import bandwagen I had a 97 eclipse and it was a blast. Sold it now and have a civic for commute and my wife's Jetta for the nice car.

This is going to prob start a war, but keep it clean and don't slam people opinions. I just want to get a general consensus on who likes what and what the majority is.

Simply put I've never been much for imports, I'd take an american muscle car any day.

-Michael

Well, the tough part about this arguement is the fact that time has lain a fine layer of dust on American Muscle. And that's a shame. I see all sorts of import stuff on the roads. Most are rather poorly attempted. Kids who inherit a late 80's Civic and decide it will be cool to put a fake intake scoop in them. WalMart wheel covers. Some nonsensical kanji character on the window. And they think it has suddenly made their car the coolest thing. I have seen bone stock Neons with a fart can because the driver thinks it sounds cool. And all this just makes me scratch my head and laugh. Granted, I have seen a few very nice rides. With nice body kits. Neons. Smooth paint. If someone takes the time to really make it a complete package (body/engine/wheels/interior) then it really can be a work of art.
But nothing can replace American Muscle. Sorry all you import dudes. You can have your sputtering 4 banger turbo nitrous mills. I'll take a big block Detroit muscle any day. The kind of car that shakes from stem to stern when you fire it up. The kind of car that sends shivers through the floor when you lay on the gas. With an engine so big you have to cut a huge hole in the hood to get it on. With dual quads or better yet a 6-pack. Tunnel rams or supercharged. The kind of car where you're always uncertain if you're going to tear the rear end off it whenever you light it up. That's what power is all about. GTO. Camaro. Firebird. Baracuda. Chevelle. AMX. Cobra. Mach I. Javelin. Corvette. You just can't replace these kinds of cars.

For me it depends, I'd love a nice Corvette but a nice suped up NOS car would be cool. I just don't like the people who have and drive crappy "tuned" imports. Some of these cars can be done up nice but for the most part they are annoying to hear and look at. So the more I think about it, I'd would love the feel of a Corvette V-8 under the hood of a C6 :D

I am more of a truck person myself, but I would definately have to say american muscle over imports also.

There's no replacement for displacement. Like Candyman said " I'll take a big block Detroit muscle any day. The kind of car that shakes from stem to stern when you fire it up. The kind of car that sends shivers through the floor when you lay on the gas. With an engine so big you have to cut a huge hole in the hood to get it on. With dual quads or better yet a 6-pack. Tunnel rams or supercharged."

American Muscle all the way.I have owned severl great cars over the years.
dodge chargers 69,70,71,and a 75 se. ford fair lane 68 two door post w/289 hi/po.325 hp..chevy camaro 68 rs ss w/396 limited edidition,70 LT W/350 350 hp..currantly own a 64 t-bird w/390 bb 300 hp. all most restored to factory.
and severl others list goes on. the 68 ford was my first car my dad and I biult togher.when i was 16. wreck it 2 months later..

whew. good question. i can't give a straight answer either way.

my first car was a '64 chevelle. i started working on it when i was 12 and finally put it on the road a few months after i turned 16. long story short- by the time i was 20 i had owned my original '64, a '65, and a '67 (all chevelle's) and two nova's ('64 and '66). i had a 1986(?) volkswagon GTi as a daily driver those first several years. oh yeah- it would keep up with the 'not so radical' V-8's i had.

this spawned my purchase of a 1991 honda crx in the mid '90's. imports were not common at the drag strip at the time, so i took a good verbal beating the first time i showed up to race it. all laughter came to a quick halt after the first pass. from then on i put all of my time and effort into this car to make it even faster. best time ever- 12.91@117. no body mod's- just a clean car with full race suspension and motor. scca racing took over after that and i haven't been to a drag strip since.

fast forward a couple years. when everyone started doing stupid poop to their imports and i started getting pulled over by every other cop that passed by it got old and i started to loose interest. when 'the fast and the furious" hit the theaters and i could take no more. i got an offer on the car just a couple of weeks after the movie came out that i couldnt turn down. it was wrecked about a month later and the kid driving it was killed.

my wife has been on my ass to either buy or build another muscle car and wouldn't ya know my ol' '66 nova is now up for sale by the same old man that bought it from me in 1994. i dont know if its what i really want to get back into or not, but if i get the balls to tell her about it I'm sure it will be in my hands again as that one was her favorite. $18,500 is $3500 more than what i sold it for and the mileage has only gone up 1270 miles. not a bad deal but still...thats a lot of r/c stuff!

I also was into sport compact cars way before the "fast & the furious" tuner poop exploded. When I was 16 I came across a 85' Carol Shelby Dodge Charger. It had a 2.2L turbo 4 bangger pumpin out 170hp through a limited slip front diff. Not bad for a 1200lb car! I added a larger turbo,stock was 14lbs mine was 24lbs,added larger injectors,and a new turbo timer,lowered it 2" all around and had 15" aluminum rims with 225/50/15 Z rated BFGs. The car was guessed to have around 270hp with the mods.I ate GT mustangs and Z28 cameros all night long. Insanly fast little car, I ended totaling it at around 110mph,hit a big ass pot hole in a curve and slid sideways atleast 100yrds before exiting the road flipping 3 times in the air and hitting 3 big trees. I suffered a broke colarbone and my gf need like 13 stitches on her back,we were very lucky. I went through alota rides after that not finding anything I was really into then I got a 94' sentra moded and spent alota money on it, it looked good but was still slow. Then I bought a 88' S-10 roller, I say roller because it didnt have a engine or trans. stuffed a 305ho engine and 700r tranny out of a 86 monte carlo ss in it and ran the piss out of it. No more 4 bangers for me. I have been building a good 350 to replace the 305, it will have alot more power and hopefully last longer than the 305 did.

i would have to say muscle for me seeing as my dad had a 1963 nova and my dads friend had a really nice rx-7 I've worked on both and prefer the muscles sound,look,and just overall feel but then again the import was pretty cool looking when he dicided to drift in this open parking lot but seeing my dad smoke this guy more than 5 times daily was enough for me to easily prefer muscle over import but i still think that if someone takes a nice import and does a nice even job in tuning it up which means body,engine,interior and all those goodies they are pretty cool.

i dont like ricers

but id take a skyline, supra, or rx7-8, over any muscle car anyday..

now id def. take a chevelle over a civic.. i can't stand civics with poop can exhausts and huge wings. all show "gay" no go.

I've been a muscle car guy all my life, and still am.
As I've gotten a little older, I like the big pick ups.
The only import that I like and would consider, would be the Subaru WRX STI.
And leave it stock.
Other than that, I Want a new Ford F350 Deisel 4 door.

:hammer: COME ON GUYS!AMERICAN MUSCLE ALL THE WAY!!!! :hammer: There is nothing like the sound of a big block rumbling at the track or in your driveway!These poopy imports sound like me farting after a good night of drinking.Actually I think my farts sound better,what do you think ratzo?You have seen me after a good night.69 shelby mustang now thats a car.
Ratzo stay away from the 6.0 motor,nothing but having trouble with them.7.3 all the way.Ford should of never gotten rid of the 7.3

Last edited:
Depending on what type of car it was I will go either way.I currently own a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI. All wheel drive and turbo charged baby!!! LOL!!! Best I've gotten out of it is a [email protected] bad for a nearly bone stock 3400lbs car! All I added was a boost controller so I coul up the boost from 14lbs to 18lbs.Other than that the car is completely stock. If someone were to offer me a 1970 Chevelle SS I would take in without even thinking twice though!! I've always wanted a Chevelle but can't afford to build one.To me it's not worth having unless it's a beast! One day I will have one but for now I'll build my TSI.

Give me a car from Europe over any.........

When I see the prices that American muscle cars are bringing at the Barret-Jackson auction, I kick myself for ever parting with my 1969 GTO.

I'm still verry young but IMO American Muscle will rape any import. theres something about the roar that comes from an American Muscle rather than the buzz that comes from MOST imports. i see soo many civics with those exhaust on them. wow a loud exhaust half of them still stall going up the hills on the grand concourse LMAO. i mean come on if you want a loud attention grabbing car dont have half of ya paint peelin off!!

Thats a easy answer. American Muscle for sure. Its V8's in my book or get out. Id rather walk than ride in anything with a Fart can exhaust. I do have to give some of them props though. I have a buddy whos running 10.3 with his DSM (eclipse 3G) thats preatty quick, but its also completely gutted and looks goofy. I always laugh when I see slicks on a front wheel drive car..Just looks so odd. Anyway, If ya can afford it get some good Detroit Muscle. IMO that nothing newer 1969.

almost off topic but i want to see what you guys think. i heard on tv a while back what the fastest mass-produced car was. anyone wanna guess what it is? too many people would never guess the make/model/year. only one person i asked got it right but he has been doing nothing but researching and wrenching all his life...he is now 76 years old. in fact he is the guy who built the 502 that was in my '66 nova. ;)