Am i running too hot (please help)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisgti

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi all took the revo out to day with the settings my lhs adviced, hsn 4 1/4 out and the lsn just proud of flush. All it needed was a tweak of the lsn and it was flying and running really well even tick over and take off was great, but i felt it was running to hot i did the spit test and it fizzed straight away, and also my ez-start then needs a tap to start the engine as if its siezed. Any idears.:\

Optimum engine temps depend on ambient conditions and your particular engine. Your temps will fluctuate throughout the day as atmospheric changes occur. The main thing to look for when tuning is steady smoke from the pipe with a gradual tapering off as you reach maximum rpm. The vehicle should also not bog or choke upon initial acceleration.

The spit test is a very unreliable method of checking engine temp. A basic tool to help monitor your engine temperatures is a temp gun. But you really want to check your temps after you have it in optimum state of tune, just as a precaution that you are not running too hot. Most engines will run between 220-280 degrees F at optimum tune.

thanks for that it looks like ill be buying a gun after all, i can set the hsn nice but how does the pinch test really work should it cut out around three or start to rev up around three then cut out. or is there another method.

I've always thought that the pinch test should shut down between 3-5 seconds. Basically, pinch, quick rev, shutdown.

Thats what i set it for and all runs well, as you can tell i'm new to nitro, i just thourght it was running way to hot i could not even touch the chassis below or around the engine and the cooling head is untouchable is that normal, just a bit panicky this is my pride and joy.

You really need to invest in an infared thermometer.

Are the on board temp gauge any good i carry enough tools as it is lol. been looking at the mini venom gauge.

i tried the mini venom gauge and thought everything was fine, until i doubled checked it with 2 of my friends temp guns and it turned out my venom gauge was giving me temps anywhere from 35 to 50 degrees colder than the other 3 handheld temp guns that i tried... so, my advice is go with the handheld, much more accurate

I picked up a infared thermometer after reading this and got it for 36$ from harbor freight with a coupon. It looks just like the 70$ models from everyone else.

well also remember the more that you keep the throttle at Wide open. the hotter it will get. you should have the throttle all the way down for more than a couple of seconds otherwise you will have high heat from the cooling head.

once you start useing like half throttle and being easy with it after WOT than you should be at a lower temp range.

i like to keep my HSN a little rich during bashing, but i like 250* my optimal temp for racing.

i use a infrared temp gauge, but i use a traxxas on board temp and it has never been more that + or - 5 to 10 degrees off from my temp gauge

Last edited:
thanks for all the replys guys, i bourght the mini venom. Thank god i did, i was using modelsport 16% fuel and if i tuned it for sound and sight it was way too hot ( around 290 - 300). If i tuned it for temp it was spluttering and way too rich. So i now purchased side winder 20%, what a difference holds its tune really snappy and i can set it too any temp i want.

Back