aluminum vs plastic

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da beav

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
which arms are the best for bashing? i broke a stock lower and am contemplating doing a complete upgrade.

Go with plastic RPM arms if your bashing the aluminum will bend. Check out ebay they have the sets for about 12 bucks from RCBoyz. Make sure you get a pack of LF/RR and RF/LR I almost made the mistake of getting the same pack. I broke a stock arm put the RPM arms on and never had a problem.

Stock or RPM, don't waste your money on aluminum.

In all the years I have had my Savage SS, I have only broke one arm when I slammed it in to a curb, I replaced it with another stock.

which arms are the best for bashing? i broke a stock lower and am contemplating doing a complete upgrade.

aluminum. ur going to be spending and replacing a ton if u use plastic...

plastic is the way to go. i have personaly never broke a savage arm. i have seen them break and have broke 1 hub. but that is it. the savage is a tough truck stock. rpm arms are guarateed never to break. if they do, they replace it free.

dunno what t-maxx monster is talking about up there.

RPM parts, very durable and cost effective.

I have no clue either.

Aluminum will bend when you hit something, and it will never be right again. It also adds a ton of unecessary weight. RPM or stock is the only way to go.

yep, stock plastic is my choice, rpm would be my second.

besides if you just slap on some aluminum arms, chances are your gonna start breaking bulkheads and hubs.

Ok... I will jump in with my two cents...

I agree with the above. Plastic all the way. I have never broken an RMP arm.

For a Savage my first choice would be the stock arms, second choice would be RPM.

If your willing to drop some serious cash FlexTek arms are killer

aluminum. ur going to be spending and replacing a ton if u use plastic...

This is the worst advice ever. Go with RPM over aluminum any day on things that are under stress, like the a arms and things like that. Aluminum is great for shelf queens. On the HPI Savage, the stock arms are of VERY high quality, and I can't imagine someone being able to break one without trying REALLY hard to destroy the truck.

plastic is the way to go. i have personaly never broke a savage arm. i have seen them break and have broke 1 hub. but that is it. the savage is a tough truck stock. rpm arms are guarateed never to break. if they do, they replace it free.

all I'm saying is that w/ plastic they snap. nothing bad, but after a few breaks, u've spent the same amount of money that u would on some aluminum ones.

If you are hitting anything hard enough to break Savage arms you will destroy the truck if you you use aluminum. Like I said, I have had the SS since it first came out and only broke one arm in all those years, and I have put that truck through hell and it has taken everything I could dish out.

Aluminum arms are a VERY bad idea!

Yeah the stock arms or RPM arms will hold up A LOT longer than most aluminum arms. I'm a vendor of aluminum products that are of very high quality, but the fact is that if you're going to be bashing on the truck, aluminum will bend and have to be replaced WAY before the stock Savage arms break. The plastic and nylon will bend upon impact and flex back into place. The aluminum doesn't have that elasticty, and it will stay bent.

I think the guy who is reccomending the aluminum parts is thinking about the stock arms on a T-Maxx which are total junk. But T-Maxx RPM arms and Savage stock and RPM arms are not total junk like the T-Maxx stock arms, they're actually of impressive quality. I've had both a T-Maxx and a Savage, and you can't compare parts on the two or say that the same rules apply.

thanks everybody i prob gna get some stockers at moment and if it goes again i gna get some RPM's. Since all the houses around me are in limbo and not being built there are some massive mounds of dirt sitting so i decided to make some jumps the first jump came up short and since its a double with bout 20ft in between them i hit it at prob bout 30mph I'm guessing and it just launched and hit a brick upon landing. wish i had a camera cuz it was some massive air

dam, now that's how to put a beating on one. I hope Rolex doesn't see this thread. The massive pounds of dirt will be enough to keep him awake at night, but hitting them at 30 mph and hitting a brick, that might give him "the big one" or "this ones for real" as red fox so cleverly called it.

yea man plastic is ur best bet the alumium is expensive and plus it u crash it then u got 2 straighten it out and vs plastic u would just replace it.

Aluminum is garbage unless you want a show truck.Rpm is great stuff and the stock are pretty good also and very cheap to replace. I just make sure I keep spares with me. You are best to put your money into performance upgrades such as servos,ofna linkage,tires and if ya feel like some awesome speed you could get a 3speed with an lrp spec3 powering it :D am I rambling and off topic;).

yea man plastic is ur best bet the alumium is expensive and plus it u crash it then u got 2 straighten it out and vs plastic u would just replace it.

If you bend aluminum in a crash, you need to replace it. When you bend it back into place, you're just creating a weak spot that will give out and likely cause more damage to the truck.

i broke my xl's upper rear arm and replaced all after that with rpm's. Ever since not a problem