aluminum vs. plastic wheels?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browners9

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
aluminum vs. plastic which is better? lighter? what do u guys think?

Aluminum would be heavier most likely but more durable. The only problem i find with plastic is that the chrome/paint wears out real fast.

Plastic wheels rarely break, aluminum wheels actually stand a higher probability of bending or getting out of shape. Aluminum rims looks great though and unless you are either a hardcore basher or a very new r/c driver they would probably hold up ok.

Plastic wheels rarely break, aluminum wheels actually stand a higher probability of bending or getting out of shape. Aluminum rims looks great though and unless you are either a hardcore basher or a very new r/c driver they would probably hold up ok.

X2 If your gonna bash RPM all the way . If your building a shelf queen aluminum .

Completely agree.. Alum. will get out of shape very easily

Plastic is IMO going to be better over all,they are a frction of the price of aluminum, there is less rotating mass, they are much cheaper to replace if you damage them, and are going to be more forgiving if you are out bashing, but of course if your building a shelf queen like some of our members, we won't mention any names :whistle:, and your truck is never going to see the dirt then go with aluminum...

i had aluminum wheels on my savage. i got tires of stripping hexes left and right. i got the extreemly cheep ( like 10$ a pair) and they held up for a long time. i am no were close to gentle with my rigs and i never bent one. they were however a bit heavyer. made the truck slower to. this was with the original 14mm hex savage wheels. if you go bigger the plastics should hold up better.

Back