aluminum vs plastic a arms?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeze

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
sup rcers I'm new so i have been doing a lot of searching and reading. before i started reading i went out and ordered the flashy look good parts like the upper and lower arms (alum) but i dont see alot of people endorseing them why is that? i have been in it for about 2 weeks now and i have decideed that I'm all in.I will be starting a new project that i will be listing in the members projects section soon. my uncle said he wanted to see an all out race truck (or at least a real pretty show truck) before he leaves this world:(,so I'm motivated. :South_Carolina:

Aluminum adds a bunch of weight to the truck. It will bend when you hit something and then will never be right again. It is fine if you want to build a shelf queen that you have no intention on running. For a basher you would be much better off with RPM arms.

There is only a few spots on a maxx where upgrading to aluminum is beneficial. Bulkheads, shock towers, diff cases, maybe a few other small parts here and there, but a -arms is one of the worst parts to replace with aluminum.

i got aluminum skids, chassis brace, transmission cover. gonna order a steering servo protector also. looks cool when u do high speed passes over rocks as sparks fly from under the truck off the skid plates. I'm just waiting for my stock a arms to break to buy the RPM ones.

Aluminum skid plates aren't really a very good idea either. They will do the job as far as protecting the diff cases and making the entire bulkhead area stronger but one the front/rear lip gets bent they are pretty much done. You can bend them back but that just makes them weaker. I'll admit I have aluminum skids on my TMaxx but they will come off if I intend to do more than simply driving it around aimlessly in the backyard.

"There is only a few spots on a maxx where upgrading to aluminum is beneficial. Bulkheads, shock towers, diff cases, maybe a few other small parts here and there, but a -arms is one of the worst parts to replace with aluminum."
I totally agree.
Some parts just need to flex and/or break to keep other things from breaking.

Aluminum adds a bunch of weight to the truck. It will bend when you hit something and then will never be right again. It is fine if you want to build a shelf queen that you have no intention on running. For a basher you would be much better off with RPM arms.

There is only a few spots on a maxx where upgrading to aluminum is beneficial. Bulkheads, shock towers, diff cases, maybe a few other small parts here and there, but a -arms is one of the worst parts to replace with aluminum.

+1 on that. I totally agree

aluminum for show plastic for go i guess i will order rpm all the way around thanks for the advise guys :South_Carolina:

Aluminum skid plates aren't really a very good idea either. They will do the job as far as protecting the diff cases and making the entire bulkhead area stronger but one the front/rear lip gets bent they are pretty much done. You can bend them back but that just makes them weaker. I'll admit I have aluminum skids on my TMaxx but they will come off if I intend to do more than simply driving it around aimlessly in the backyard.

yeah i understand that but it was on the truck when i got it and the truck was basically free. just had to fix a couple things. who can turn that down?

If it was scratched up already then I guess it's acceptable. If it was new then I would've resold the skid plates and replaced it with plastic.

just return them nd get RPM A Arms there the best

Hey guys I went with flextek

So did I. I hope they hold up as well as expect. I've had the setup for a while now but my truck has been a work in process for like a year. She should be up and running here shortly though.

Let us all know what you think of them.

Back