Aluminum Bulkheads Vs. OEM Bulkheads

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkrecords

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So i built a badass jump for my truck was running it and busted the rear bulkhead. Was looking for an uprgrade and all i can find is aluminum. Which is stronger for jumps, and track running. Thanks

The aluminum one is much stronger. But need to remember if the bulkhead don't break, something else would. So don't change everything to aluminum. Usually I leave some easily replaceable parts as "weak point" like upright, or arm with stock plastic parts so It will break during hard impact without damaging other more expensive parts like chassis, etc.

The bulkheads on a maxx is one of the good areas to upgrade to aluminum. I have aluminum bulks on my maxx with RPM arms, and stock bumper supports. The stock bumper supports are a good place to leave a weak link so that if you land on the front or back of the truck you break an easily replacable three dollar part. You may also want to consider getting titanium hinge pins, the stock ones can still bend easily in a hard impact to one of the arms, then good luck trying to get it out of the aluminum bulkheads. Avoid Integy aluminum bulks, they are weak metal and can break almost as easily as the stock ones, they are total junk.

Replace the front and rear while your at it.I replaced my front..... the rear broke 2 minutes later.

does anybody know anything about the traxxas aluminum bulkheads?.......maybe i should have ask a week ago because I've already ordered them......should be here in a few days!!!

i have integy rear bulks, and no problems what so ever, did the research, integy uses 7075 aluminum! show me a company that uses better and then integy can be called "junk" but until they find stronger aluminum i guess every single aluminum made part out there is total junk so sucks for us all i suppose!

I have seen more broken Integy bulkheads than all other brands combined. That's great you haven't broke one yet, but with their track record, complete lack of customer support, and horrible warranty policies, I will give my money to someone else.

You know, back about 4 or 5 years ago Integy TMaxx bulks WE'RE absolute junk. At the time I'm pretty sure they were NOT 7075 but rather 6061 (less expensive & softer). Also, I remember the design being extremely open and over-lightened. I'm not vouching for them by any means but just for shits & giggles I took a look at their current offerings and they are a VERY different design than what I remember them looking like. They look pretty tough if you ask me. :2cents:

However, that's just one end of it. They have a horrid reputation for customer service and they ship EXTREMELY slow if you order direct, at least in my own personal experience.

I'm pretty sure that other companies use the same aluminum but there is a difference because it was something about like tempering there material that integy doesn't do and everyone else does but nothing integy is good. Ig you havent broke integy then you either bent t or don't drive you rc hard at all!

Hands down, the aluminum bulkheads are a must on the tmaxx. You can usually get a better price on ebay for them. But I would absolutely buy traxxas ones. I have em' and I trust em.' If you have a hard head-on collision they will bend before they break... and when they bend they might as well be broken. It was my own stupidity for that one. With that being said, they take more abuse.

I always make sure aluminum parts are machined rather than cast. I'm not sure if better material compensates for the problems that cast parts can have, but I assume it helps to start with a solid piece of material. At the moment I would strongly advice against RC BOYZ bulks. Bulks are the only thing I've tried of theirs, and I had to wrap a pretty thick piece of twine wire around the part of the diff that sits in the bulks to get the side to side slop out. They were cheap. I got what I paid for! $35 for the set with the hardware(well, most of it. Some screws were missing). Almost forgot. My buddy dropped an Integy bulk of his work bench on to the concrete floor. The ear that the chassis bolts to broke off! They came off a vehicle that was never jumped or crashed. He just picked up his maxx at the time.

Last edited:
I always make sure aluminum parts are machined rather than cast. I'm not sure if better material compensates for the problems that cast parts can have, but I assume it helps to start with a solid piece of material.
Very true only question how does one tell if something is machined or cast when most descriptions don't even tell you metal quality(7075, 6061)

I suppose you should just e-mail or call. If it ever says made from billet aluminum that means it's machined.

You can easily tell if a part is cast or machined. Most cast parts will have a flat (rough) finished, like the stock engine mount on the Revo. And as little CNC (machined) as possible as it is a very expensive and long process.

CNC from bluk aluminum as it is a block or rod of aluminum we start with. We need to machine all sides to get it to the shape we wants. So all finish are much smoother on all side.

Due to the manufacturing process CNC parts would be much stronger than cast parts. But CNC will takes longer to manufacter = cost more. In regard of what materials they are made of only lab test can confirm....

:D

Last edited:
I have seen more broken Integy bulkheads than all other brands combined. That's great you haven't broke one yet, but with their track record, complete lack of customer support, and horrible warranty policies, I will give my money to someone else.

i don't want you to think I'm saying your a liar as far as integy. however i wanted to put my opinion out there about them, but also i can't say if there worth the money cause mine were free:D but they are holding up really well, soon ill have integy skids front rear and center, and a integy servo skid(again free) but its all still better than stock plastic!

but 7075 is 7075 regardless and all the main brands are using just that!

although that donesn't mean its indestructable, had a bmx with a aluminum frame not too far back and we broke the top tube so it will def break regardless of strength. just depends on how bad you hit it!

I wish integy made a shovel. That way I could bury their crappy parts with it. In sand, anyways.

I used Integy bulks on all 3 of our Maxx, my son crash into all kinds of stuffs are they are holding up. I'm not spending hours to replace the plastic stock ones anymore.

I used Integy bulks on all 3 of our Maxx, my son crash into all kinds of stuffs are they are holding up. I'm not spending hours to replace the plastic stock ones anymore.

+1 It takes a long tome to swap out bulks...... takes a second to break em ( especialy in cold weather) Go w aluminum.

I bought the cheapest ones i could find on ebay ( chinese $50 for 4 of em) still holding up fine. I am a basher, meaning 20 foot high jumps ect.

Back