Aloha nate from Hawaii,new to rc,need help with savge nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natelehman922

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
Aloha,I just got into rc as a hobby to quit smoking,I've looked for weeks all over for a decent nitro truck,I wanted something new,was trying to get a revo,but it was impossible at the time,I was lucky enough to find a brand new (2013) hpi savage 4.6. In Australia ??,I have been looking high and low for a place to get good aftermarket parts and advice,as I would like to do a 100% build on it,the only place i can find online is integy there parts are limited,also I'm not exactly sure what parts I need to do certain mods,(screws,bolts,fastners)...first thing I would like to do is change my shocks to aluminum adjustable ones,my savage comes with 4 big bores,is it possible to do an 8 big bore shock set up,running different springs,basically I just need some advice

id pass on that savage.its to old and parts will be near not gonna find. as far as dual shocks with different springs thats a no go.. think about it.

Anything can be done but remember you bought a discontinued kit. Ebay is the best source for parts.

id pass on that savage.its to old and parts will be near not gonna find. as far as dual shocks with different springs thats a no go.. think about it.

You can definitely do dual shocks with different (or even no springs in one). That's pretty standard practice in many solid axle builds in fact.

just not worth it to make a reply..do whatever ..LOL

Well I saw what you wrote before the edit, and started to answer, so I will.

A lot of people run the dual shocks with one spring, and the other shock with no spring to act as a dampener.

Thank u guys,new to this really like nitro concept due to loving mechanical things, electric rc is cool but lacks the interest that I seek in nitro,not to be rude but tntproof is a straight douche bag and is the reason most people have a hard time asking simple questions on any forum,moving on........the savage seems like the most capable nitro monster basher made,I live in hawaii,we do not have Hobbie stores on my island let alone refined land to bash on........so let me ask a other question and hope I don't get another rude comment from tnt.what parts for the nitro savage are compatible with the electric,..........I already bought mine from aus it's on the way I need to make the best of what I got with limited resources,it's brand new in the box never from a hobby store,it's an older model(2013),it's discontinued,so that means if I take care of it, keep it nice and upgrade it with what's available. it will be worth more and in the end be more exciting for me in the long run

Last edited:
Well I saw what you wrote before the edit, and started to answer, so I will.

A lot of people run the dual shocks with one spring, and the other shock with no spring to act as a dampener.
And that's what I was my thinking and was why I asked the question before a mr. know-it-all all came off like and uneducated ass with wrong information,is there any information you can tell me on what your preference would be(springs,oil weights,and variations of such? Like dual big bore,or big bore and the standard size,just looking for sugestions,

Last edited:
Id like to know what 1 thinks they will accomplish by putting 2 shocks on a axel side ..? so if you put 2 springs on what will it do really? lets hear it then you can try and throw crud..LOL get ready to eat.

Last edited:
And that's what I was my thinking and was why I asked the question before a mr. know-it-all all came off like and uneducated ass with wrong information,is there any information you can tell me on what your preference would be(springs,oil weights,and variations of such? Like dual big bore,or big bore and the standard size,just looking for sugestions,

On my truck with that setup, I have small bore Boom Racing piggyback shocks with internal springs, coupled with small bore internal spring shocks with the springs removed in those in the front shocks(the rear I put in light springs, to help counter engine weight). 30 wt oil in all. The piggyback's are using medium springs.

Now my setup is for a solid axle truck, and a lot of my weight is in the axles/wheels/tires, as well as me having reduced the weight in the top by replacing steel with CF plates, etc, so it would probably be a bit different with an IS truck like a Savage.

20210324_071833.jpg

HPI is selling new Savage X4.6, not discontinued. parts at the moment are slow because they are catching up with not making them for long enough and everyone is buying them right away. plus with Covid they are going to be slower to get parts available.

I'm going to have to agree with dual shocks, one acting as a dampener, you can run lighter oil so it saves strain on the pistons internally by running heaver fluid, and shock shafts wont be bent as often, and disperses the load so one shock will not have to take the brunt of the force.
worst comes to worst if you dont like quad shocks, just remove the one pair and you have replacements if the others break or fail.

i would shy away from integy, they aren't really known to be the best structurally, some of their parts are designed well and handle it, others bend pretty easily. i will say i do not recommend any aluminum arms except for maybe FLM(fastlane machine), RPM or stock plastic, you want a fail point that is cheap and easy to replace.
overall savage is known to be a very durable truck, if not the most durable Nitro MT.