airbrush help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkslayor24

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm looking to get into the whole airbrushing thing. i have gotten pretty good at masking and spray jobs, this year for the racing season i want to roll up with an awesome looking body for my T4 race truck. i want to try to work a true fire design, into a racing body with number.

to the point: i need a decently cheap airbrush set. i dont need anything real fancy. i found this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGUZ4&P=0 what do you guys think? i can't afford an expensive airbrush. so i want to try to find a cheap one that is workable.

Try to get gravity fed if you can.

can somebody explain to me the advantages/disadvantages of bottom feed/ gravity feed/ side feed??

i need a decently cheap airbrush set.

Those two words don't go together. I have used all the way from a cheap ass wal mart hobby brush, to an aztec, not much better, to a badger, dont remember the number, then a paasch vl, and now a gravity feed Iwata HP-CS, absolutely awesome brush, blows away the paasch vl. The control is far superior to any other brush I have used.

Definately get gravity feed! You can paint with just a few drops of paint, and the paint flow is much better and more consistant than a syphon feed.

its also easier to move the brush around the inside of a lid without a big bottle hanging off the bottom of the brush

I took NcNitro's advice when I purchases my airbrush setup and I couldnt be happier. If you want cheap, go with a $10 setup from walmart, or go with something nice that you will have for ever and beable to paint everything with. I paint all sorts of stuff with mine, bodies, the wall lol, tool box's, and so on.

the issue that i am having, is the fact that i can't afford an to buy pretty much anything, I'm flat broke lol, so I'm trying to get my mom to buy me an airbrush before the racing season starts and of course she says "why not wait till christmas" and my reply is, but the racing season starts before christmas and i need a body lol

Trust me, I started with a cheap siphon feed and it sucked. Now I'm looking into a gravity feed dual action setup. They're not cheap, but you can do so much with them.

If you're only wanting to get one lid painted for your rig in time for the race season, why not just have someone paint it for you? Then you can get the airbrush rig you want for Xmas.

I don't know what some of the guys here charge, but I'm sure you could work something out and get your lid sprayed now.

HTH...
Mark

I got my Iwata HP-CS with a box full of paints and an airhose for $100 locally. I already had an air compressor with regulator...so all I needed to buy was a water trap. So I'm into my airbrush setup for $105, give or take....not too shabby. It's a nice brush and Gravity fed.

Craigslist can be your friend sometimes ;-)

For about $20, Harbor Freight has a siphon type double action airbrush. It's not an Iwata, but it will do in a pinch until you can afford better. The only thing you will need if you don't already have one is a compressor with a regulator and moisture trap.

I bought 2 guns. 1 is $120.00 from my local hobby shop. Caught a bad bounce and the housing for the needle bent. I STILL haven't been able to find the right replacement piece.

Bought number 2 on eBay for 44.00 plush 6.00 shipping. It is amazing.

Both are Gravity fed and both were capable of handling amazing out put and precision lining. But for less than half the price, this second gun has lasted 6 months longer than that first gun did.

Let your mom know that with a little more practice time you can actually use your airbrush to start your own business and start earning your own money. Tell her to think of it more like "seed money" in a small business instead of "hobby money" for you to just go play with. Ifshe's reasonable, she'll see the value in it :)

Back