Airbrush help

• Thread starter alpinehyperlite
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinehyperlite

Original RCNT Nutswinger
Supporter
Police
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So i finally took the plunge and bought an airbrush set. I have no idea what i am doing, so any advise would be awsome.

Well, how about you list what items you have as far as the airbrush and method of propellant (air compressor vs. can). And what are you stuck on? Let us know how far you've come so we can help you.

I got a Badger 350 Standard Set (single action), with a can of propel, but i have a compressor at my house. a 10ft braided airbrush hose, air flow regulator (for compressor).

Paint:

Pactra: Comp Orange, Outlaw Black, Flake Silver, and Thinner
Faskolor: White, Pearl Silver, and Thinner
And Hobbico Liquid Mask.

Well, you have a pretty easy setup. Your best bet is to use the compressor with the regulator. So I'd start by hooking that all up properly. The airbrush is single-action so it's basically regulating air pressure. The more you push the button, the more air, and the more paint. You can also regulate paint by how far out you thread the cone that goes to the paint jar. If you thread it in, you'll get less overall paint. And if you thread it out, you'll get more. You'll want to experiment with that to see what differences you can make in coverage. You'll want to be able to lay broader coats for coverage, and thinner, narrower coats for shading.
For your Pactra colors, you can use low pressures. 15-20 psi. But for Faskolor, you'll want to thin it from 25-50% and you still may have to run it up to 40-50 psi.
At this point, I'd suggest getting a few 2 liter plastic soda bottles. Split them lengthwise and use them as practice canvases. Practice trying different densities of paint by varying pressure and flow. Also work on how you move the brush to learn to be steady. Once you feel comfortable, you'll be ready to start your first design.

Thanks. That was awsome. Just what i needed.

Practice makes perfect with this stuff. And don't get to far ahead of yourself. Keep it simple and you'll be amazed at even the first body you do.

Yea, imma toy around with it tonight, and do a simple design on my Losi Rock Grappler body. I have used the Liquid Mask with the spray can paints, and am deffinatly gona keep using it.

Sooo, what am i doing wrong if it looks like spiderweb is comming out of my airbrush? Its right after i put new black paint into it. Any suggestions?

pactra paint

That's either Polycarbonate or acrylic. Start adding thinner to it and spray patches on paper till you see a smooth mist.

I had it at about 2/3 paint, 1/3 thinner, but now I'm 1/2 & 1/2 and its good. Thanks

Sooo, what am i doing wrong if it looks like spiderweb is comming out of my airbrush? Its right after i put new black paint into it. Any suggestions?

Yep, not enough thinner. I've experienced that myself along the way.

I had it at about 2/3 paint, 1/3 thinner, but now I'm 1/2 & 1/2 and its good. Thanks

I've actually noticed that different paints require different thinning ratios. I use mostly Pactra stuff and some paints don't need as much thinner. Metallics and pearls tend not to require as much as thinner as solids. Sprint white tends to want a little more as well.