Air leak - Carburetor slide and dust boot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kikkeraap

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have taken my TRX 3.3 engine apart in order to clean it. After having it put together I did a test to detect air leak using a soapy solution. Unfortunately, the front bearing has a leak, but I've also discovered a leak at the carburetor slide and the dust boot, as bubbles formed between the throttle arm and the boot. In to clearly describe the location of the leak, I've included a picture. The bubbles form around the area at the arrow.
V0XYTrwZJ5kzg6uwKSWlaf-CnZBcUlZzLl5NQtnp7MWTzomX48BcOPgaY2jutDaIAVM5QPDx4K2YHidP9W1SESgX2Q

Is this an issue with respect to an engine possibly running lean? Should it get fixed? (How should I fix it, using silicone gasket material?)

Finally a short question related to the front bearing. I know that is normal that it leaks (at least that's what I've read on the forums). Since the engine is not that old (it ran 20 tanks) I assume that a fix is not required?

As for for your leak, they say after a gallon of fuel you should replace the front bearing I don't know if I agree, I do agree if your having a problem if not leave it alone, thr 3.3 eng is not known for its bearings every time I got a new 3.3 I always put upgraded bearings in it before I installed it and never had a problem. As for the air leak, you should fix it or you will burn the eng if it runs lean do to the air leak

Make sure the carb slide boot is good and run it. That and the front bearing will both show air bubbles during a leak test. Unless the bearing feels gritty or loose it should be fine. You only need to worry about bearings if there's excessive fuel leakage on the chassis or if you hear that very distinct bad bearing sound.

Back