air filter oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytims87

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
is there any other fluids that i can use on my air filter that will work as good as the recommended air filter oil. i ask because i live an hour away from the nearest hobby store and i can't justify driving that far for oil when i need it

Regular oils such as motor would serve the purpose but probably not a good idea to run on forever. All your doing is making the filter "sticky" so any airborne particles will stick to it instead of going thru the filter and into your motor. Just go to the hobbyshop and spend a ton of $ on upgrading your Maxx. Just dont forget the oil when you go!!

You can use k&n air filter oil, the kind that you use for your car or motorcycle if you have an auto part store close to you but I wouldn't use regular oil...

Cooking oil, light motor oil. WD40 or 3 and 1 oils are probably a little too light. You want it to be a little "goopie" to catch the dust. Wash the filter and dry it real good. Then put a few drops of whatever you have on it, mash it together real good to get it all the way through the filter, roll it around in a rag to soak up the excess, put it back on the motor and forget it. Using something other than "filter oil" is not going to reduce the performance of the filter or degrade the foam at all.

go to advance auto, get permatex ultra slick engine assy lube, item #81950. it is very thick. or marvel mystery oil, wally world. it is thin. i use both.

Air filter oil comes with a HUGE debate, its all personal preference.
I have used everything short of honey and found that oils should be used for the job they were intended for.

Motor oil is to thin. It gets sucked right out of the filter and can leave it dry. Absolutely better than noting if you are in a part of the world where there is no filter oil available, but not the best.

On the other hand, the "super-tacky" oils are over the top. They are to thick and if you over oil, they will impede the flow of air. Also, they tend to make the dirt clog up into a nasty goo on the surface.

Back