AE SC8 or Traxxas Slayer Pro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srusinek

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm looking to add a short course truck to my stable and I currently own a vehicle from both brands and they put out good vehicles with my experiences. I know the 3.3 has a chincy con rod but I have not heard anything else wrong with the slayer. The sc8 seems to be flawless as well so which one should I go for? I'm not too concerned with the price and already have the equipment to support either choice. Thanks in advance, Steve.

I haven't had or even seen the Slayer Pro up close but I have an SC8. It's definitely a good choice. It is 1/8 scale and big block .28 powered,not the most powerful but not bad either.

I don't have either, but would choose the SC8 over the Slayer Pro.

Since the SC8 is based on an 8th scale buggy platform, it is going to be able to take a ton of abuse. Probably more than a buggy since it has the protection of the body. It's easier to work on and you are not limited to what size mill you want to put in there.

Have you tried other brands as well? I can personally vouch for the Losi Ten T. The 8ight 2.0 is also nice; my friend has one. They are both based on a 1/8 scale buggy and are flawless. What's great is that they come with the Spektrum DX3S Radio which accounts for 1/2 the cost of the kit. The engine is really easy to tune and break in on the Ten T, so I would assume that would be true of the engine in the 8ight 2.0 as well. The Ten T comes with the R.O.S.S. (remote onboard starting system) which allows the engine to be strated via a button on the remote. The 8ight 2.0 includes a starter box in the box. The 8ight 2.0 is about $100.00 more than the Ten T since it is a 1/8th scale and the Ten T is 1/10th scale. Take a look at both, they are worth it. True that the Ten T is a Truggy, but I just thought I 'd mention it because I wanted a nitro SCT before I opted to buy the Ten T. I didn't care for the handling of the Slayer or the PITA break in regimine.

Last edited:
I already own an 1/8th scale buggy(Gs storm) so I'm not looking to buy a buggy. Yes the sc8 is a buggy so to speak by I'm looking for a short course truck. I have not heard about the remote glow plug feature and if it has issues. We all lnow the ez start system can be a pita so that is making me look elsewhere. If I can get through a savage XL break in I can get through any of them. I also like the idea of being able to install any engine in the sc8 so we'll have to see. Thanks for the info, Steve.

I have the original Slayer, and I personally love the truck. It's built on the Revo platform, and it takes a huge beating. I have yet to have a problem with the connecting rod on either of my 3.3's (had to replace the first after running it w/out the air filter)

The SC8 may be built on the RC8 buggy platform,but it doesn't drive like a buggy. The remote glow plug system is more hassle than it's worth IMO. I removed mine. Once you have to pull the clip off to access the plug,it doesn't like to stay on very well. Then you fight connection issues and harder starting.

I've not really had a problem with that either. Had to replace it once because the wire wore through after going on the lid one too many times

Thanks for the info on the remote starting system. How much does the body cover the engine? I've never seen one up close so I was wondering of you can temp the engine with the body on. I always check my engines while I'm running to be on the safe side.

i have a orignal slayer and love it. the other great thing is that since it is built on a revo platform you change it over to a revo by changing the suspention and drive shafts.

Back