Advice needed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mlawson187

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I bought my first nitro rc car, it’s a traxxas revo with what I’m told is the 2.5 engine. The trucks been sitting for a few year, and I’m having zero luck getting it running. All the rubber boots are cracked and broken, the one on the carb basically fell apart. It appears to me the engine isn’t pulling fuel through the carb and into the engine. So should I order a carb, see if that’s the issue? Or just scrap the old engine all together and put a fresh new one in there and effectively start over? Thanks for any advice.

Hello M, First of all I wouldn't trash the engine as of yet, replace fuel lines first. A little pin hole can keep it from running. I would also research the engine and get the factory settings for it and start from there. Factory settings on the high speed needle and the low speed needle will get you in the ball park.

Last edited:
Hello M, First of all I wouldn't trash the engine as of yet, replace fuel lines first. A little pin hole can keep it from running. I would also research the engine and get the factory settings for it and start from there. Factory settings on the high speed needle and the low speed needle will get you in the ball park.
I did reset it back to factory, per traxxas manual online. Fuel lines are new and when I unplug it from the carb and block off the exhaust, fuel flows through them.

hello i have the revo 3.3 does yours have the ezstart or just pull start

hello i have the revo 3.3 does yours have the ezstart or just pull start
It has the easy start. I have been using a glow plug igniter, due to the easy start not heating the glow plugs I have. Also, the easy start motor went up in flames last night, so I guess I need a solution for that also

yeah you only want to hold ezstart on for max 5 seconds i have done the same thing have you taken the glow plug out to insure that it is getting red hot

you can pick up an ezstart motor for around $15

Sometimes troubleshooting will drive you insane, that's what I would do but I'm not the most patient guy in the world.

If the boot from your manifold to the muffler isn't any good it will not push fuel through the fuel line

i would dissemble and clean the carb, check/inspect/replace o-rings on the needles and carb, as necessary, check to make sure the glow plug is indeed lighting up. and or condition, it would not be a bad idea to replace anyways as even glow plugs that are glowing under battery load could be bad, the coating on them that interacts with the fuel to fire could be bad, or coil could be vibrating and touching inconsistent.

does the engine turn over semi-freely? still getting good compression? have you checked to make sure the fuel tank is not leaking air?
lots of these things and or a combination of these things can make troubleshooting a pain. but as long as your engine has compression, there is minimal reason to swap it out.

I would do what Demon said!

Just because that if an engine sits for a long period of time ,an I am talking about a few years ,with out the engine having any
after run oil or the fuel drained or cleaned out of it ,could dry an become sticky an gunk up causing the carb to become plugged
up ,But ,my real concern is not that ,it is the fuel tanks internal fuel filter & tank lid seal!

The tanks have a filter in them ,old fuel will gunk them up an restrict the proper fuel flow to the engine ,an in time ,the tank
lid seal will dry out an crack ,an start leaking ,that loss of pressure from that tank will effect your engines performance an
give you false tuning problems!

Most people will automatically blame a carb issue when infact ,it is a tank issue!....LOL

In the end, if you do decide to get a new engine, get the 3.3, not the 2.5R. For my taste, even the 3.3 wasn't quite enough engine for a revo, but it's better than the 2.5R. A little more low end power for a few $. If you contact traxxas, or have an LHS, you can usually trade in the old traxxas engine for a new traxxas engine at a discount.

I'm basically in the same boat, I was given a Revo 2.5 that's been sitting for who knows how long. It is missing the charger for the RC battery (new one on order), missing the EZ starter charger and battery (got new one)
Engine was seized, it's removed and torn down. Need to get rebuild kit with motor bearings. All the boots and hoses look good, Nothing looking dried out. Gas tank does appear to be leaking residue out the top. Seal and lid kit should fix that. The antenna wire for the receiver is missing, I already picked up a new Transmitter and Receiver. My tires are shot, anyone have any suggestions where to get new along with glue? I would like some meatier tread tires

Back