Adjusting shift points in a savage with 3 speed...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Why does the newer style trans have 2 adjusting holes in it when the manual says you have to take the trans apart to adjust the 1st->2nd gear shift point?

Is that really true?

I got a savage recently and it has a 3 speed in it, except it has the old single hole trans case. So, I thought in my infinite wisdom that I'd dremel a new hole... then I downloaded the XL manual and read that you have to take it's trans apart to adjust.

What's the second hole for if not to adjust stuff? Do I really need to tear the trans apart to adjust my 1st->2nd gear shift? Is the screw I'm seeing in the normal hole the 2nd->3rd gear adjustment?

Does the newer top split trans case fit in the old school savage? If I have to take this trans out to adjust it, I'll put it back in with a new trans case that opens from the top if I can.

Any info would be appreciated.

Olds, yep, you have to take the trans apart to adjust the 1-2 shift. The X case is a direct fit to the old style savage. That's the exact setup I have in my savage.

The other hole is more for inspecting the gears than anything.

You may have to trim the rubber cover-plug when you use the 3 speed in the X case.

Weird? I can adjust the shifting without taking the trans out. I use the same adj screw that i used to adjust the 2 speed tranny. BTW i have the 3 speed transmission that came assembled plus i added the high speed third gear in it.

You're able to adjust the 2-3 shift point without removing it from the trans. The 1-2 shift point requires partial disassembly of the middle gear train set.

Crap, seriously come to think of it now...there was another clutch holder in the transmission. That would explain alot...so I'm sorry about the ''not right'' info guys.

It's okay. I wish HPI would have made it so you could adjust the 1-2 easier.

yea i can adjust my tranny w/o taking the trans off 2. is ur savy a new or older version

Old with three speed internals. I can adjust externally as well, but I'm only able to adjust the engagement of the 3rd speed, not second.

Back