Adjusting 2 speed tranny

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srusinek

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just finished breaking in the truck and out of the box the tranny shifts on the late side. According to the directions it says to have to black screw exposed and adjust accordingly. I tried to get the black screw exposed but I was only able to get the gold screw exposed. Is there any trick to getting this black screw exposed so i can adjust it? Any other two speed that I have I can adjust but this one seems to be giving my issues. Thanks for any help in advance, Steve.

I just finished breaking in the truck and out of the box the tranny shifts on the late side. According to the directions it says to have to black screw exposed and adjust accordingly. I tried to get the black screw exposed but I was only able to get the gold screw exposed. Is there any trick to getting this black screw exposed so i can adjust it? Any other two speed that I have I can adjust but this one seems to be giving my issues. Thanks for any help in advance, Steve.

I have never touched the screw inside my tranny once. Once I had a good tune, it shifted fine. Do you have a good tune first?

It's for the MGT 8.0 and my tune is 1/16th of a turn before 2.5 turns out on the hsn, the low speed is at the stock setting and the idle is turned down a touch. I'm getting good smoke out of the exhaust and my temps are 230 with the body off. I'm sure the temp is near 260 with the body on but I have not cut the body open yet for airflow. Before I adjust the 2 speed I'll measure the distance of the shift which is 12 to 15 feet after accelerating.

update on tranny shifting

I was able to get the black screw exposed but could never adjust it using a 2mm Allen wrench. That's because it was a 5/64 instead and how I found out is I pulled the tranny out to inspect it and to adjust it. The manual says its suppose to be at 3 and 3/4 turns out from fully in and the factory had it at only 3 which makes it shift way too late. I'm also going to invest in a standard Allen screw driver set. Just a little FYI for an MGT owners out there that might be having problems out of the box like I did.