About to do a huge Nitro Rustler rebuild, any idea on what I should do to make it competitive against an electric Rustler?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I've ordered a new chassis, engine mount, carb parts, and some transmission parts so far. Planning on racing my friend in the spring. Should I get a Motorsaver air filter for it? What about an exhaust? (Pro .15) I'm going to be running on a packed dirt track.

Have 0 experience in nitro but if your running on packed dirt get the right set of tires
Any recommendations? It gets pretty dusty in the warmer months.

If its an xl5 it should beat it. Vxl on Nimh or 2 cell you may get whooped lightly, or a dead even. 3s brushless get a jato and start modding, or get the invader drag slash.

Motor saver is good for dust from what I heard. I plan on one eventually. The exhaust is another good option if it's replacing the factory plastic mufler and aluminum header with the rubber tube. I'd find a good aluminum tuned pipe.

I'm not sure you're going to be competitive with a brushless system, although it depends on what electronics heres running and how he has it geared.

As for tires, its really hard to say. Depends on what type of dirt and how tightly is it packed? If its dirt thats somewhat packed but gives a little under traction then Id want something like holeshots. If its hard packed clay that has no give to it under traction the Id probably go with something like Positrons. Something in between maybe something like the Prisms. Best thing to do it check with people arleady running the track and see what they are running or what they would suggest.

Capture.JPG

Tire compound makes a difference too.
Proline Tire Compound chart #1.JPG
Proline Tire Compound chart #2.JPG

I wish ya all the luck. :cheers:

Last edited:
Get a good tuned pipe, proper tires, and most of all, practice driving it. 99% of winning is in the driving.

Get a good tuned pipe, proper tires, and most of all, practice driving it. 99% of winning is in the driving.
Which tuned pipe would you recommend for it? I don’t know if any would fit due to the different header on the Pro .15 and exhaust tubing. I could go with a Dynamite .19 in the future.
I'm not sure you're going to be competitive with a brushless system, although it depends on what electronics heres running and how he has it geared.

As for tires, its really hard to say. Depends on what type of dirt and how tightly is it packed? If its dirt thats someone packed by gives a little under traction then Id want something like holeshots. If its hard packed clay that has no give to it under traction the Id probably go with something like Positrons. Something in between maybe something like the Prisms. Best thing to do it check with people arleady running the track and see what they are running or what they would suggest.

View attachment 156505

Tire compound makes a difference too.
View attachment 156506View attachment 156507

I wish ya all the luck. :cheers:
I think I’ll go with the prisms first.

Which tuned pipe would you recommend for it? I don’t know if any would fit due to the different header on the Pro .15 and exhaust tubing. I could go with a Dynamite .19 in the future.

I think I’ll go with the prisms first.
I'm gonna pm you. Theres only 2 left and I'm hoping for one.

Alright, got a new chassis and engine mount, installed the chassis and now I'm waiting for 7 more parts from my LHS.

Mind posting a few photos of your build?
Rustler is not that great for racing as far as I am aware, you'd be better of getting a proper racing buggy.

Mind posting a few photos of your build?
Rustler is not that great for racing as far as I am aware, you'd be better of getting a proper racing buggy.
2BB2BFD7-7599-48CC-9C0B-63276AB587FB.jpeg

This is the current state, the transmission is off since it needs a rebuild. I don't think any other company makes Nitro Stadium trucks so the Rustler is all I got.

Pro 15 is a dog slow engine. Nothing wrong with it, actually it's my favorite engine, reliable and easy to maintain but it's slow. If you want to be competitive or even faster than vxl I would suggest Traxxas 2.5. 3.3 has more power and easier to tune but 2.5 is very high revving engine perfect for rustler and also less chance for con road failure from over revving. Traxxas has trade in program where you can trade pro 15 for 2.5 for I think around 90$.

But honestly the price of conversion will quickly add up and you are probably better of by finding a good condition used rustler 2.5. I have 2 of them, I paid 100$ for one in like new condition, and 70$ for second with a little bit more run time but good condition overall.

I am not sure where you want to race, stock tires will do just fine. Proline prism is a black carpet tire, you will ruin it first tank. For clay I really like positron, and they should have good life and work on on pavement. Hole shot is good for loose dirt and dusty condition. Front stock rib tires will work just fine for most conditions.

There is a reason why race nitro cars have single speed only so I would stick with single speed unless you are doing a drag race.

Pro 15 is a dog slow engine. Nothing wrong with it, actually it's my favorite engine, reliable and easy to maintain but it's slow. If you want to be competitive or even faster than vxl I would suggest Traxxas 2.5. 3.3 has more power and easier to tune but 2.5 is very high revving engine perfect for rustler and also less chance for con road failure from over revving. Traxxas has trade in program where you can trade pro 15 for 2.5 for I think around 90$.

But honestly the price of conversion will quickly add up and you are probably better of by finding a good condition used rustler 2.5. I have 2 of them, I paid 100$ for one in like new condition, and 70$ for second with a little bit more run time but good condition overall.

I am not sure where you want to race, stock tires will do just fine. Proline prism is a black carpet tire, you will ruin it first tank. For clay I really like positron, and they should have good life and work on on pavement. Hole shot is good for loose dirt and dusty condition. Front stock rib tires will work just fine for most conditions.

There is a reason why race nitro cars have single speed only so I would stick with single speed unless you are doing a drag race.

I’d rather not put a Traxxas engine in it when I can get a Dynamite .19 instead. The newer Traxxas engines aren’t made that well.

I’d rather not put a Traxxas engine in it when I can get a Dynamite .19 instead. The newer Traxxas engines aren’t made that well.
Dynamite engine has less power and they have a problem with the back plate

Dynamite engine has less power and they have a problem with the back plate
I've only heard good things about them, the bug404 has been praising it for a long time now, he's a pretty trustworthy guy. The 3.3 has connecting rod issues (I do have a spare one but I have no idea if it works), the carb also gets insane air leaks.

I've only heard good things about them, the bug404 has been praising it for a long time now, he's a pretty trustworthy guy. The 3.3 has connecting rod issues (I do have a spare one but I have no idea if it works), the carb also gets insane air leaks.
Yes, bug404 is an awesome guy. Dynamite 19 is not a bad engine it's made by sh, but like I said, It has some flaws with back plate getting warn out and causing air leak. And the last time I checked bacp plate and starting shaft were not available. If you watched bug404 videos you will see that he replaced dynamite 19 with trx 3.3 in tmaxx and doesn't have back plate issues anymore.

Everyone who has dynamite 19 can confirm that it's less powerful than trx3.3. traxxas carbs are not prone to air leak unless physically damaged. They have oring, housing is made out of plastic so it's less prone to vapor lock than metal carbs without insulation. Ih you have an air leak either carb is cracked, blue booth on a slide mechanism is cracked, or it's too worn out by not adjusting epa and servo pulling the slide past fully open.

I never had issue with con rod on 3.3, but I have seen a lot of them break. But also I have seen even more conroads in os engines break. 2.5 has smaller and lighter piston and less torque. I have never seen 2.5 with broken conroad and they are very high revving engines, they scream.

The only issue with 2.5 is that it's not that easy to tune like some other engines, and it's prone to burning glow plug

Baker has had some good results with the Hobao Hyper .21 engine. Just a thought :)

Back