A $70 RC car that can go 70 km/h!! WLToys A959

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paularcher

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
Hello there, guys!

I know most of you are fancying heavier powerful cars that run brushless motors and stuff. But what about a way to have some real fun easier or get that cheap ass friend into the hobby?
I have reviewed the WLToys A959 rc car:

https://www.gearbest.com/wltoys-a959-rc-_gear/

And I've been as impressed as one can be, considering the small price it comes with. It's about $70.

But the amazing thing is that it actually gets close to that speed (I raced it against my scooter, don't have a speedometer). It's super fast and very VERY resilient. THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT FOR KIDS.

What do you think about it? Is it a worth package?

It definitely looks decently fast. The issue I have is the same issue I have with all the cheap knock off brands though. They seem to introduce a model, and if it isn't super popular, then it gets discontinued and parts support becomes non existent. Not to mention, I can't just run down to a local hobby shop and get a part if I break something. I'll stick to known name brands, that will back up my purchase with parts support for years to come.

It definitely looks decently fast. The issue I have is the same issue I have with all the cheap knock off brands though. They seem to introduce a model, and if it isn't super popular, then it gets discontinued and parts support becomes non existent. Not to mention, I can't just run down to a local hobby shop and get a part if I break something. I'll stick to known name brands, that will back up my purchase with parts support for years to come.

Agreed 100%

I have purchased a few knock off brands over the years, .... they either end up as scrap for other projects or sitting in the garage. Reason is once a part breaks it is nearly impossible to replace that part unless you can fabricate it yourself. Sometimes that isn't so easy or worth the time and money. I own a few cars from the larger brands, some are about 7 or 8 years old and parts are still very easy to find.

and if it isn't super popular, then it gets discontinued and parts support becomes non existent.
I'm curious to see what parts availability is for the model right now, let alone later down the road.

If you're looking to get into the hobby for cheap and want a known brand name then check out the ECX 1/24th scale Torment and Ruckus for only $60.00 or even a 1/18th scale for $90 for an ECX Ruckus, Barrage & Torment.

another 1/24th scale that is priced reasonably is the 1/24th Carisma GT24 line of cars and buggies. I own several of the GT24B's. Parts are easily had and the company seems to be continuing to produce new versions of the cars.

another 1/24th scale that is priced reasonably is the 1/24th Carisma GT24 line of cars and buggies. I own several of the GT24B's. Parts are easily had and the company seems to be continuing to produce new versions of the cars.
Man, that Carisma GT24 looks very very good. I'd love to try it. And really enjoy how small it is.

I also agree that's a good thing to have, but some chinese products DO have spare parts to buy online. Don't know if this is the case. Anyway, considering this is very cheap, you shouldn't necesarily consider it as a reparable investment, but rather as a starter for beginners or as a weekend toy that won't break the bank in case of a crash.

I'm curious to see what parts availability is for the model right now, let alone later down the road.

If you're looking to get into the hobby for cheap and want a known brand name then check out the ECX 1/24th scale Torment and Ruckus for only $60.00 or even a 1/18th scale for $90 for an ECX Ruckus, Barrage & Torment.
I have checked out thte ECX 1/24th scale Torment and Ruckus and they are absolutely amazing. Unfortunately I live in Europe, and don't really benefit from the " next door hobby shop" advantages you guys have. So buying from China or America is pretty similar for me.

I also agree that's a good thing to have, but some chinese products DO have spare parts to buy online. Don't know if this is the case. Anyway, considering this is very cheap, you shouldn't necesarily consider it as a reparable investment, but rather as a starter for beginners or as a weekend toy that won't break the bank in case of a crash.

Beginners will likely break things. And the one thing I've seen from everybody just getting into RC is that they haven't developed the patience to wait to get back to going again. They want to run to the LHS, grab the parts, and get back out there. And the fact that we've become such a disposable society bothers me, so I don't really buy disposable things if I can avoid it. But, to each their own.

I just got mine yesterday (a959).
Holy cow...what a fun little toy! We will have a lot of fun with these. It is fast! I'm sure I will swap out the electronics and some point but overall not a bad little ride.

Last edited:
i got my son one and converted it to brushless. 4800kv. i had to upgrade the servo and reciever. it takes a beating tho. the jumps at the skate park he does are crazy. the dogbones pop out alot but thats about all. I'm thinkin about getting ine for myself

Back