8ight t rtr guys???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcjunky2002

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, so I just picked up a losi 8ight t rtr and was wondering.. out of the box, what's it need for improvements to be a good basher?

Never had any Losi products, but my general rule for bashers is don't upgrade until ya break something. You paid for the parts that are on it, get your moneys worth out of them

I pretty much did what Doom! said. I have an 8ight T RTR, I am new to the hobby and had a few head on collisions with cement curbs over the past several months. This caused the front shocks to pop apart at the top cap. After the 2nd time I decided to upgrade the shocks to TLR units. After checking what new parts would cost (they are not available pre assembled from Horizon or Amain) to put a set together, I checked eBay. I found a set of 4 for $100 which was 1/2 the price of new parts for just 2 fronts. They are working great. They are from the TLR 4.0 truggy. I wanted to make sure the lengths were correct and these were.
Prior to replacing the shocks, I went through all 3 diffs and upgraded them to TLR status. I also increased diff oil viscosity to what TLR recommended for the 4.0 truggy (7, 12.5k, 5 front, center and rear). I started the diff replacement due to trashing the center diff. Not totally sure but that was probably a result of one of my front end collisions too. Had to replace the front center dogbone too as it got bent somehow in the mayhem!
So far that's all the big stuff. I have also been changing spring rates on both ends. Currently waiting on even stiffer springs from Amain right now.
I love the truck and the hobby. Parts are readily available for Losi’s which makes it nice too. Hope you enjoy the truck.

I pretty much did what Doom! said. I have an 8ight T RTR, I am new to the hobby and had a few head on collisions with cement curbs over the past several months. This caused the front shocks to pop apart at the top cap. After the 2nd time I decided to upgrade the shocks to TLR units. After checking what new parts would cost (they are not available pre assembled from Horizon or Amain) to put a set together, I checked eBay. I found a set of 4 for $100 which was 1/2 the price of new parts for just 2 fronts. They are working great. They are from the TLR 4.0 truggy. I wanted to make sure the lengths were correct and these were.
Prior to replacing the shocks, I went through all 3 diffs and upgraded them to TLR status. I also increased diff oil viscosity to what TLR recommended for the 4.0 truggy (7, 12.5k, 5 front, center and rear). I started the diff replacement due to trashing the center diff. Not totally sure but that was probably a result of one of my front end collisions too. Had to replace the front center dogbone too as it got bent somehow in the mayhem!
So far that's all the big stuff. I have also been changing spring rates on both ends. Currently waiting on even stiffer springs from Amain right now.
I love the truck and the hobby. Parts are readily available for Losi’s which makes it nice too. Hope you enjoy the truck.
What do you run for tires for bashing

I’ve just been using the stock tires until recently but replaced the rears with Proline Holeshot’s as that is what my LHS had on hand. No complaints on those. Will probably stick with them for the next set. I have not tried any MT tires if that is what you might be thinking.

I’ve just been using the stock tires until recently but replaced the rears with Proline Holeshot’s as that is what my LHS had on hand. No complaints on those. Will probably stick with them for the next set. I have not tried any MT tires if that is what you might be thinking.
I was thinking if I could find a set of the original proline badlands on desperado wheels but those are discontinued and I almost think the newer style might be too big. Just looking for options. I.just sold my 2.0 with os xz-b v2 to buy the rtr. Only because my buddy "had" to have it and I wanted to replace it with something new. That thing was crazy but I heard good things about the rtr. I just wish it had aluminum shock bodies and adjustable links

Got it. You’ve got way more experience that I do but most of my problems have been self induced and crash related. If you are used to a true TLR truck, this one is not up to those standards but overall a nice unit. I guess it comes down to what your expectations are. I think its better than most other RTR units but clearly not up to kit standards. For a newbie like me, new to nitro….. more than happy. You may find it lacking for what you are after but hopefully not.

That's my rule of thumb also, unless I'm building a shelf queen.
I run all of my RTR rigs until they break.

Got it. You’ve got way more experience that I do but most of my problems have been self induced and crash related. If you are used to a true TLR truck, this one is not up to those standards but overall a nice unit. I guess it comes down to what your expectations are. I think its better than most other RTR units but clearly not up to kit standards. For a newbie like me, new to nitro….. more than happy. You may find it lacking for what you are after but hopefully not.
Well I still wanted to give it a chance, rtr or not it looks to be a pretty solid truck. I've been involved with nitro for over 20 yrs but took a break from nitro about 6 years ago and I'm looking to get back into it. I will upgrade as I break and when I do I will use tlr parts and enjoy it.
Here's a vid of my 2.0 kit. It was off in tune a bit but it ran pretty hard.

Last edited:
just pulled my rtr off the shelf and decided it may be time to get her back up and running.. not that it needed much, forgot i had this basically new os .21 xz-b ver 2 and decided why not throw her in.. had to rob some motor mounts off another 8t to make it all work but shes running now!! this has a Werks pipe on it, does anyone know if thats a good pipe for this engine? also any other pipe recommendations would be great!!..

327403776_3359111801036227_3288393473182846157_n.jpg

327390271_518641117038983_4727634131588802434_n.jpg

328296677_738817437609190_1555721447736318321_n.jpg

Great Truck! I used to have the 2.0 and I just recently picked up a good deal on a hardly used 8ight XTE roller :)
Would you happen to know what parts will work with the rtr model from the other models