6v or 7.4v - Guidance on what solution my peers would do

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicoBanderez

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi folks,

So I’ve got another thread on the go about “Demystifying Nitro RC Electronics” dealing with my general understanding of the RC system (I think I’m about there now) but I have one last lingering question ... 6v or 7.4v.

This is what I’m facing.
6v
I’ve not been able to find a battery that fits in the battery casing that comes with the Losi 8ight 4.0 kit I’ve bought.
Solution is try to make another battery fit. Assumption made by comparing the dimensions of the Losi battery recommended in the build instructions to similar batteries on Modelsport.com

7.4v
I’ve found a battery that fits (same dimensions as the Losi recommendation) so I’d need to then decide if I run an additional regulator OR do I run high voltage servos and high voltage receiver.

My head wants to go 7.4v and high voltage servos & receiver because it’ll nearly fit the servo / receiver / battery packaging that comes with the kit. This does increase my cost more than simply using a voltage regulator. Higher voltage servos seem to have higher torque / speed ratings too so would it be overkill? I’m considering Savox servos.

I can’t make up my mind so I’d like to see what the masses would do in my situation.

I’m a perfectionist so that’s why I like the idea of it all being neatly packaged ... but is this silly?

Thanks all

I like things that don't require more parts. So, my vote would be go all in with 7.4V if that's what you want. Since your starting fresh, it makes more sense to do it now. For most of my stuff, I'd have to replace servos I already have to do it.

Sure the torque may be off the charts for what you need, but the extra speed boost is always nice. Also, running Lipo gives you a much more consistent voltage throughout the pack.

With that in mind... you may need something to beep at you when it gets low though. So, may want to incorporate a lipo alarm in your build as well so you don't drain it too far. I don't know if any receivers have a LVC built into them like esc's have for running lipo packs to power the vehicle. Perhaps they do. I'm still in 6V land... so I don't know much about such things. :)

. I'm still in 6V land... so I don't know much about such things. :)
same here, i don't seem to have any issues with the 6.0V NiMh that would cause me to want to bump to LiPo for receivers. typically i get around 6-8 tanks throughout a few days before i recharge the pack (1600Mah) the battery isn't dying at that point it just seems around the right amount of time to do it.
voltage, i could see as a plus but like i said i haven't had any issues with what i'm running now.
i eventually will probably change to LiPo, but for what i have, the trucks were released 2004-5 ish with at the time upgrades.

Now that I run how I run... I'd probably want them to last a while longer, but now that I have a charger in my car...

Usually though, depending on if I'm running a big block or small block, with a big block, if I get through 1000cc's of fuel in a day, I'm doing pretty good. With a small block, if I get through 500cc's I'm doing good.

Kind of funny now that I've been running electric, how much I keep track of time things take and packs last... I have no clue how long a tank of fuel lasts. Ran nitro for nearly 20 years... I just know when the tank was low, I fill it until the truck breaks or I run out of nitro. And with the above forumula (small block vs big), the time it took to get through that amount of fuel was enough for me to be tired of standing out in the sun! lol!

@olds97_lss & @D3MON,
Thanks for the insight I'm leaning towards 6v NiMH and 6v servos mainly from a wallet perspective. I've reached out to Team Losi Racing direct as well and asked for their advice as everything on their website suggests 7.4v.
I need to have made my mind up by the end of next month so I've got some time yet.

Back