55 - 65 mph mgt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHKINRC

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
MODIFIED MGT 4.6, LRP Z.28R SPEC.3 upgrade, also some other mods , roll cage, springs, etc. It runs around 55 to 65mph( est.). Engine is tuned to 245 deg f. (the sheet that came with the engine said the perfect temp was between 230-260 f) and that temp is consistent with 5 deg with 3 to 4 passes at about 200 to 300 m stretch. GP MC59/ O'DONNELL 100 / LRP R5

Now with normal monster truck running where you just pop wheelies and short track runs w/jumps the temp stays around 180-210. It pops wheels easy! and can get out off control quickly if you don't watch it. Thats why i have my roll-cage !
I'll try to attach some picks.

SPEED//

A ACFT HOBBY GUY STOPPED BY THE FIELD WHERE I WAS RUNNING THE TRUCK AND ASKED WHAT ALL I HAD DONE TO IT. HE SAID IT WAS FAST!
I TOLD HIM I THOUGHT IT WAS AROUND 40MPH MAYBE, BUT HE POINTED OUT THAT THE HWY NEXT TO WHERE I WAS RUNNING THAT THE SPEED LIMIT IS 55 AND A THE CARS DRIVING BY, WE'LL YOU COULD SEE THEM WATCHING MY TRUCK RUN, AND A FEW YOU COULD HERE THEM GETTING IN THE GAS. LIKE THEY TRYING TO CATCH UP TO IT.

HE THOUGHT 55 TO 65 MPH WAS CLOSER TO MY TRUCKS SPEED. I'LL GET ONE OF MY NEIGHBORS TO RUN ALONG SIDE THE SCHOOL SPORTS FIELD AND TRY AND FIGURE IT OUT LATER ON THIS WEEK, WHILE I'M STILL ON LEAVE OR ONE OF THE MPS OR LOCAL COPS TO HIT WITH A RADAR GUN. I STILL THINK ITS AROUND 50 BUT IT DOES GO FASTER THAN THE LOCAL TRAFFIC.

I'M PUTTING IN THE LRP ZR.30 X NEXT WEEK WHEN I COME OFF LEAVE SO I'LL GET SPECS AND TECHNICAL DATA AND POST HERE WHEN FINISHED SHOULD BE NLT 10-14JAN 09 TO HAVE IT IN AND TUNED SO I'LL POST ONCE ITS RUNNING RIGHT

Attachments

• IMG_2897.jpg
    IMG_2897.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2905.jpg
    IMG_2905.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 246
I'd like to put my radar gun on it and see what it is running. Might be fun to do some mds on my mgt

Best guess is 50 to 55 mph. The LRP is tuned right and it scoots. The new LRP.30 won't be out till 27Feb09 so once It arrives if I'm not down due to back surgery, I'll post a reply ref. It would be nice to track it with a radar gun. I hope to get some good data by then. I'll do a run with the .28 then a swap with the.30 the next day and post the results here. I'll get the weight also so you all can have those for your info.

It is a Monster truck so I don't think you would want it any faster. I know that there are allot of Buggys/Truggys out there that will blow it in speed. It would be nice to get the close to the same handling capabilities but I'm not sure how feasible that is with a higher COG.

Mgt

It's hard to picture the MGT runnig that fast. But, I'm all for making them fast. I've had a lot of fun with my first RC. It is a XXX-NT and I've done some cool things with it. If I could get a 2 speed trans for it, I can only imagine how fast I can get that running.

Have fun and best of luck with the back surgery

This is my first RC Truck and it was fairly fast initially w/ the 4.6/ .28 pro from TA. However, I had asked a couple of shops Team Associated and some others such as AMain and I had said I wanted more pwr/speed. They all recommended the LRP Z.28 that I am running now. I think the key is tuning it properly. I spent a great deal of time making sure that all the criteria from temp to smoke signal was all right where it should be. I run a hotter GP than what is suggested and that has been a significant factor to its characteristics. There are some out there that run faster. I heard the OS .21 and GRP are good choices for speed. I should be getting my LRP.30 the end of Feb and that one is rated at either 4.21/ 4.12 either way it should be better bottom end torque and more HP that should come in a little sooner. So I might be looking at some gearing changes as well. The LRP.30 is supposed to be an upgrade based on the LRP Z.28 so it should have just a little more umph!. Now there are the electric conversions and systems that are lighter, less mess and blisteringly fast. I know that TRAXX has some really nice looking stadiums and some others that state 60 to 70mph right out of the box. I think its interesting but, I just like working on engines. Its what makes the hobby fun to me. What am I saying? I'm still a cherry as far as RC goes but still. Its what I like.
The MGT 4.6 stock is around 40 to 45mph and the engine I'm running now has only run that slow a couple of times and that was due to a fouled out GP (glow plug). I changed it out and it just came alive. When its warmed up after about 5 mins or so running it scoots. I have the temp where it consistently runs around 248 to 250 ( the higher end of the allowed temp range of 230-260F). I'm almost ready to start buying another one. I'd like another MGT /buggy/ stadium truck ( the GSR 5.0 CEN is looking fairly good but, so is the HPI 1/5 scale truck but, I really need a great radio system before I start buying another RC. Which system do you think is the best choice?
Tim

I'm looking at it right now. Its a good price.

Whats your thoughts on the Spektrum DX3S DSM 3CH Surface Radio W/ Telemetry?

The other day i threw my GPS on my sons 4.6 mgt with the new axial .32 it pulled 51.3... and that was downhill with a breeze behind it... and a little lean tryin to squeeze everything out..

Latest and greatest. I haven't posted here for awhile now. I'v3 had other procedures done to my back(the fun never ends)
so i'm surfing one night and i see this add for ported piston sleeves, so i get out the old dremel tool one night and made just slight porting to the sleeves on 3 lrp zx.30 the porting was different foe each and i wanted to see .what the would do. Well i ended up calling don again at team associated because i broke another transmission and this time a spurgear. I told him i would just give it a little throttle and the truck would just immediately flip over on its top and asked how i could get some stronger gears. He just laughed and said well i don't know he gave a few to check with so right now i'm modding still. I'm working on a dual brake system and some gear changes in the trany. Also the engines the just literally rattle apart. So i have to come up with a way to keep them more securely fastened. About the 55 to 65 we haven't checked it with a gun but we did check it with a car it came up around 50 he said. The hard thing now seems to be slowing down at that speed without tumbling. I have seen where some hobbiers have actually added sway-bars so i might research that. The truck in the photos posted i tore up like 4 tranys. I've opted out on the nice covers now because all i do is destroy them when i take it out to run. The settings on the ported engines are very different because of the added fuel requirement. I should have started with a smaller engine. So if you port your engines research it well. There are a few good sites to check out. I would recommend only slight mods.

'

have an axial .28 rr in my mgt runnning rich because of temps in NJ. clocked mine on a flat surface with one of those street signs that tells you how fast your goin at 46..Getting another 5-7 mph in the spring time doesn't seem impossible..To mph in the monster trucks you have to start with an engine that spins more rpm then low end torque or really know what your doing when it comes to tuning. Couple tricks I've learned is shorter tuned pipe with a smaller spur gear.
http://www.rchobbies.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm

is a link if you reallywant to tweak your engine for a specific task ie speed
be careful though a little bit of knowlage can be a dangerous thing

I would be curious what a GPS would give for speed results, it's the most accurate means of speed testing I have found so far, at least with a good quality one, not an app for a cell phone lol. We did some speed testing with some pretty hot engines (myself and another modder) and these speeds seem a little high for stock sport engines, given we used a savage as a test truck so that may be the difference. Just curious is all.

Back