4wd system help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leyla1989

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
So when I bought my 18th scale monster truck I’m sure when you turned a wheel by hand when the car is off they all turned, now they only turn across an axle when the car is off and spinning by hand they all turn when the car is on and the throttle is being pressed. Is it worth stripping to see if anything is worn. Or is this normal ? Thanks leyla
It also doesn’t feel as quick. It’s mariginal the difference but it just doesn’t seem as fast unless I’ve just got used to it

That is perfectly normal. Your diffs are working the way they are supposed to. If you put thicker diff fluid in the diff housings it will make it so there is more resistance and try to tirn the opposing wheel.

If when driving you notice one wheel spinning a lot, you might consider increasing the diff fluid viscosity in that diff.

Thank you ! I just stripped the rear diff part and all the internal gears was fine like new . I was a bit scared of opening everything up incase I made a balls of it but I’m glad I did as feel a bit more confident with working on it now …. 👍

Thank you ! I just stripped the rear diff part and all the internal gears was fine like new . I was a bit scared of opening everything up incase I made a balls of it but I’m glad I did as feel a bit more confident with working on it now …. 👍
Very cool. Yeah, diffs might look confusing, but they are not really. And most RC diffs are setup exactly the same.