3s to 6s Typhon conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious J

DESTROYER OF RC PLASTIC PARTS!
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Delving further into the world of rc speed runs, I decided to give my Typhon 3s a 6s transplant. Buggy is a standard 3s BLX with plastic driveshafts, towers, chassis, center shaft, slipper spur gear and differential spurs. The internal gears of the differential are very light weight metal. Shocks were upgraded from plastic to the aluminum bodied 6s variety. Tires are Dboots Hoons white. Electronics are straight swap from the Arrma 6s line. BLX 185 esc and 2050kv motor. Both are running 28 000 rpm 30 x 30 fans for cooling. Servo is a DS3225 and the steering has been upgraded with a Hot Racing aluminum set up. It is currently running a 20t Mod 0.8 motor pinion on the stock 57t spur. The esc is currently "floating" in it's location. It is basically wedged in which will suffice for simple speed run passes.
First passes in less than ideal conditions, showed a consistent 63 to 64 mph top speed. I can't imagine the plastic slipper spur, dif spur or those light dif gears can hold up to this kind of punishment long, but nothing else gets replaced unless they are damaged. Pinion size will be the only guaranteed mod, with a possible addition of a metal slipper spur gear if the plastic one fails.
20210207_123127.jpg
20210206_213754.jpg
20210206_212740.jpg

@Notorious J I know they are spendy but have you thought about the new metal diffs for the 3s line? And I'd definitely pick up the metal spur also I'm thinking with the 6s torque the plastic spur won't last too long..
Not upgrading anything until they go. A speedrun car doesn't put the same strain on the difs as a basher does. If the acceleration is even, they should be fine. If I start tearing around and do donuts in a parking lot, they'll likely get fried in the first two minutes. The only part I'm worried about is the plastic spur on the slipper. I have a metal one ready to go if this one bites the bullet. I did tons of passes yesterday and even ripped it around in a parking lot for a while. It didn't even flinch?

Nice! Be interested to see how the lighter 3s rig does at higher speeds. @Exc3l claims he's done over 100 with his but I haven't even seen a picture of the completed rig let alone a screenshot of a GPS reading so ?. I know jondilly has done well with his 3s Typhon but it's also got the GT body and a bunch of custom work I believe. Are you going to stay with the stock body and see how far you can go open wheel?

Nice! Be interested to see how the lighter 3s rig does at higher speeds. @Exc3l claims he's done over 100 with his but I haven't even seen a picture of the completed rig let alone a screenshot of a GPS reading so ?. I know jondilly has done well with his 3s Typhon but it's also got the GT body and a bunch of custom work I believe. Are you going to stay with the stock body and see how far you can go open wheel?
That's the plan. Gonna start with a bigger pinion, but that's limited by the older mounting plate in mine. Might try to pick up one of the newer adjustable ones. Slipper spurs are the tricky part, since Arrma only makes one size, the 57t. Might try to source out a different one so I can drop the spur size down. So much to consider, but lots of time to think about it.

Keep an eye out daily on Jenny's for the new adjustable mount it's dirt cheap and will give I'm guessing the option up to about 29t pinion. Ya that's the hard part with the slipper assembly is the limited spur for sure. There has to be a smaller spur that would be close enough to make work though, maybe..... Look forward to seeing the progress as always bro!

Look at my build thread. I have everything taken apart but my wing and everything was there. I need some thread lock to put everything together(my motor, pinions and diffs)

That's the plan. Gonna start with a bigger pinion, but that's limited by the older mounting plate in mine. Might try to pick up one of the newer adjustable ones. Slipper spurs are the tricky part, since Arrma only makes one size, the 57t. Might try to source out a different one so I can drop the spur size down. So much to consider, but lots of time to think about it.
I have a spool in mine. Rich duperbash has a vid on it.

U ain't seeing a vid from me until someone films for me and till north pole winter ends??

The 2 ESC's are from a friend. 1 of them is bought by me. Same thing with the motor. I remember I was going to trade some parts with @Edough13 for a 6s motor but it didn't work out. Everything is in its box because I have taken it apart for the winter (and because I drove it in the snow) **cringe**!! That motor mount is new because the 6s motor did a slight bent on my stock one. I kind of forgot to take a pic of the spur.......
IMG-3797.jpg
IMG-3795.jpg
IMG-3794.jpg
IMG-3796.jpg

The 2 ESC's are from a friend. 1 of them is bought by me. Same thing with the motor. I remember I was going to trade some parts with @Edough13 for a 6s motor but it didn't work out. Everything is in its box because I have taken it apart for the winter (and because I drove it in the snow) **cringe**!! That motor mount is new because the 6s motor did a slight bent on my stock one. I kind of forgot to take a pic of the spur.......
View attachment 125413View attachment 125415View attachment 125416View attachment 125414
There we go almost an actual complete rig almost....

Sorry to jump on your post but getting a typon that’s runs 6s but was 3s originally but it needs a new diff can you buy complete diffs as I don’t actually know what part it needs and also is there like 3s diffs and 6s diffs ? And do they both fit either or

Sorry to jump on your post but getting a typon that’s runs 6s but was 3s originally but it needs a new diff can you buy complete diffs as I don’t actually know what part it needs and also is there like 3s diffs and 6s diffs ? And do they both fit either or
Horizon Hobby makes a metal diff for the 3s line. 6s diffs don't fit a 3s car.

Anyone know of a cheapish but good servo for the 3s typhon ? In the uk

Delving further into the world of rc speed runs, I decided to give my Typhon 3s a 6s transplant. Buggy is a standard 3s BLX with plastic driveshafts, towers, chassis, center shaft, slipper spur gear and differential spurs. The internal gears of the differential are very light weight metal. Shocks were upgraded from plastic to the aluminum bodied 6s variety. Tires are Dboots Hoons white. Electronics are straight swap from the Arrma 6s line. BLX 185 esc and 2050kv motor. Both are running 28 000 rpm 30 x 30 fans for cooling. Servo is a DS3225 and the steering has been upgraded with a Hot Racing aluminum set up. It is currently running a 20t Mod 0.8 motor pinion on the stock 57t spur. The esc is currently "floating" in it's location. It is basically wedged in which will suffice for simple speed run passes.
First passes in less than ideal conditions, showed a consistent 63 to 64 mph top speed. I can't imagine the plastic slipper spur, dif spur or those light dif gears can hold up to this kind of punishment long, but nothing else gets replaced unless they are damaged. Pinion size will be the only guaranteed mod, with a possible addition of a metal slipper spur gear if the plastic one fails.View attachment 125400View attachment 125401View attachment 125402
Thats cool on the typhon 3s to 6s convertion and decent speed and how much did you spend on The convertion? ? i ask because i have gotten my typhon 3s up to almozt 60 mph (58.7mph) on stock electronics I'm Just sayin seems like alot of cost for a small increase

Thats cool on the typhon 3s to 6s convertion and decent speed and how much did you spend on The convertion? ? i ask because i have gotten my typhon 3s up to almozt 60 mph (58.7mph) on stock electronics I'm Just sayin seems like alot of cost for a small increase
That was his first time running in the winter here. He has gotten upto 105. I am at 97 on a short pull. Others are at like 140 mph running castle

Back