3s battery choices

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So i bought cheap ovonic 2s batteries from amazon just to get started. No issues with them. But would love to hear your recomendations on a good brand for 3s. Local shops cheapest is $57 per one battery.137x46mm is the max length width and gotta have a deans connector

I don't recommend running Deans with a 3s! I managed to melt a Deans running a cheapo Povway 3s. Something like this should work, I recommend running XT60s or XT90s instead of Deans on 3s or higher.

Last edited:
Truck says its rated for it out of the box

The only batteries i use are Gen's Ace or Zeee, and i have never had an issue with either. I agree with not using Dean's connectors, except maybe on NIMH batteries. I have had them fail on a 5000MAH 50C 2S lipo multiple times, so, i switched all mine to XT60 connectors.

Truck says its rated for it out of the box
It is rated for it, but the Deans connectors have a hard time handling the amps and the connectors can possibly melt. I strongly recommend using XT60 or XT90 as they are much better than Deans.

Well i guess i will look into upgrading connectors when i get 3s batteries

I was tired of having multiple kind of connectors on all my 25+ cars, so I first made the big mistake to solder Deans to all cars and batteries. I regret that, as many mentions the connectors can't handle it. I got all kind of issues from cogging ober bad performance to connectors melted together. Now I have XT90 on all cars/batteries except cars of scale 1/16 and smaller for them Deans are ok. Some says EC5 is better, maybe they are, but I find them to hard to pull the connector apart so I prefer XT90.

I see the talk for the ec5 plugs. I doubt i would ever need that capability

So i bought cheap ovonic 2s batteries from amazon just to get started. No issues with them. But would love to hear your recomendations on a good brand for 3s. Local shops cheapest is $57 per one battery.137x46mm is the max length width and gotta have a deans connector
I have been doing rc trucks for only 7 months with 2 other guys and we only use deans. We use 2,3 and 4s batteries. I think one guy has been using them for 2 years. So far no problems.

What other 3S batteries have you guys had good success with? Looking towards the future I’ll need 2or3S with an ic5 connector

What other 3S batteries have you guys had good success with? Looking towards the future I’ll need 2or3S with an ic5 connector
CNHL, Liperior, just switch the connector over to EC5/IC5 if needed. EC5 is compatible with IC5.

Either is really ok, but hard case LiPo's hold up better, especially in bashers.

Hard or soft shell?
Hard case for heavy bashing, the hard case protects the LiPo from impacts and getting flung out of the RC. Soft cases are good for weight saving, so 1/8 or larger RCs need them for weight saving.

What vehicle are they going in?

Back