3D printer making a Traxxas A-arm

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Was at the local hobby shop today and in came a guy from www.artlabky.com with a 3D printer. The printer was running off a LiPo battery pack and was printing a Traxxas A-arm.

Was actually pretty amazing to see in person. The printer was very light, compact and even printed upside down! Was capable of using various different types of plastics - even nylon and a carbon fiber composite material!

Su0e9oK.jpg

Lg3u5hm.jpg

wIHYlHJ.png

Saw this on facebook. Thats really sweet.

Tell that guy to start making some Tamiya Truggy A-Arms!

@WoodiE, did you get to see the finished arm? If so how did it look/feel?

Last edited by a moderator:
The plastic he was using in this print was a cheaper and weaker variety and he only printed about half the arm before the batteries went dead. Even still the a-arm felt tough and would probably do fine for on-road type stuff.

That said the printer was also capable of printing nylon and even a carbon fiber composite which would have made the same arm far more durable. Seeing the nylon spool I think that would easily be able to handle backyard bashing.

@vbgagnon, about $850 for the unit that was brought into the LHS.

Last edited:
And Windows 8 has support for them built-in.

Yep, but most of the current programs like Solid Works 3d have it that support built in.

Buddy of mine just bought one, he is actually a member here

That 850 would just be the printer, right? What about the software or the scanner?

This printer uses open source software (free) and can also be used with a program called Sketch (also free). The scanner I did not ask about, forgot to.

There are also tons of already made models online, one popular place for 3D models is http://www.thingiverse.com/.

Who the heck was that? Another drive by spamming?

Back