3-Speed case doesn't allow tuning to third gear?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmygahitscoby

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

I was recommended here to get the 3-speed case so I can adjust the third gear settings easier. I asked this question on a different forum, and they say I still would have to take it apart and adjust it even if I had the 3-speed case. I do have the 3-speed gears in a 2-speed case, so I thought getting the 3-speed case is better. Is this true? What is better about the 3-speed case?

Thanks!
-Coby

There is no such thing as a 3-Speed case. The only two tranny cased are the old style Savage 25 case and the newer Savage X case. The Savage X case has three holes in the side and the top of the case can be easily removed for spur gear and internal gear maintenance. Which every case you use you can adjust the third gear shift point through the side hole. On the 3-speed the third gear clutch holder is where the second gear used to be. It is the second gear that can not be adjusted without removing the gears from the case and taking them apart. It does not matter what case you have you still have to tear it down to adjust 2nd gear. The Savage X case will make this much easier and faster but you will still have to get at the gears to adjust your 2nd gear shift point.

I thought it was second gear that you adjust through the side of the case and to adjust third you'd have to remove the top portion

Oh okay. But the Savage X case will give me better accessibility right? Thanks guys!

I thought it was second gear that you adjust through the side of the case and to adjust third you'd have to remove the top portion
Nope third gear can be gotten to....second gear is sandwiched so you have to pull the gear set out and one gear off the shaft to adjust it.

Awesome. Thanks for the info! I know what to get now :D.

The reason the X case helps is because you only have to take off the top of the case. With the normal case, you have to take the entire trans out of the truck and disassemble the entire trans.

I just bought an X case for my 3-speed as it came with the 3-speed in a non-X case.

I have no idea why HPI put an extra hole in the side of the case though. It does absolutely nothing but get your hopes up. I didn't realize you couldn't adjust it until after I drilled a hole in the side of my non-X case and found that you can't get at the adjustment!

I won't put my 3-speed back in until spring. Don't need the headache of winter tuning and a flaky 3 speed... 2 speeds is plenty for winter and a buddy of mine had a spare trans for me to pilfer.

Back