3.3 T-Maxx 1/8 scale Spur gear mod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frickenjoey

Official RCNT Cyber-Bully
Supporter
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok I started a thread in the GH forum on this subject already but this is an update on progress. Original thread is linked
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=758075#post758075

Hmmm... I had to scrap the original 3.3 shaft since it was just not working for any sort of spur gear mods I was wanting to do since it was just too damn short.
trac5366.jpg

It was a great shaft for the original slipper....but just not working for me.
However, there is a few good set-ups for the 2.5 style top shaft....but it will not fit in the tranny ....UNLESS I mod it....and MAKE it work.....dremel and hammer......ahhh my favorite tools.
IMG_2645.jpg

So now I have the 2.5 style top shaft in my 3.3 tranny. Now I need a new slipper set-up. Back to the grinder.... :D

Have to make Modded a Savage 25 slipper plate and the bushing from a 2.5 T-Maxx spur gear.....some grinding, drilling and a little arbor pressing later I have my new slipper plate.
IMG_2647.jpg

So it looks like it will work....add a Savage spur gear and it looks like this.

IMG_2651.jpg

Almost there...this is my temp fix for my problem. I have a better idea that I need to get built by my master machinist buddy Racer1966. So we now have to test FrankenSpur out.....sucks that it's raining all weekend.

Last edited:
Modding a Savage or LST or MGT, I understand. For the life of me I can not understand why people spend loads of time and dough trying to make a T-Maxx durable. Poor design plain and simple.
Not knocking your hard work by any means bud, nothing but respect. I just loathe a T-Maxx. I count the minutes it takes for a Maxx owner to break his truck everytime I see one. Usually does not take long, and 99% of them are piss lean on top end. They run for 5 minutes, flameout, burn a plug, repeat....I tried to help a few guys with tuning, but they would not listen.
I have only seen one T-Maxx that impressed me. It had some older BB conversion chassis with an all steel drivetrain, powered by an HPI .21 from the older Savage .21. It was good racer but it still could not bash hard. The suspension is just a pitiful design.

Last edited:
I understand you Scrogg but I also have a little of everything. Racers to bashers. Actually my Maxx is pretty damn solid. Granted not as solid as a Savage sure...but it is the same thing as why restore a old '57 Chevy? Sure it may be nice but will still handle like a tank when you are done. It is just because. I have a highly modded Savage as well and I build them to be fun....soooo bugger off!..;) .lol JK. It was my first Nitro MT...and yes you can polish a turd; they did it on Mythbusters.

You know Scrogg, my Maxx holds up great. Since I quit jumping it...:)

LAMO, both you are great guys.
Why put the one pice of crap off the Savage, the spur ona Maxx? I'd use a Revo spur setup. Best slipper design out there.
Good luck with your project.!
Edit; for the record I'm a die hard old chevy fan. Do not compare a Maxx to a Chevy....maybe a Yugo, but not a classic Chevy!
I get your point though bud.:D

Last edited:
Scrogg I am a pretty big old Chevy guy myself. I have a all original '55 pick-up waiting for me to get back to the states so I can restore it. I am the 3rd owner.... but back to the project.. Don't worry an X gear will be going on it.

Now for my new diffs.....they almost bit me when they cam out of the package.....
IMG_2662.jpg

These suckers are solid as all heck....6 gears anyone?
IMG_2661.jpg

The rest of the truck may come apart but the diffs I am pretty sure will make it....:D

Scrogg, my sons 2.5 maxx runs great. Last time I took him out to run he ran through 8 tanks of fuel before we shut it down to come home. It did not burn out any glow plugs, it did not run "piss lean" it did not break anything, it ran great, if you knew how to tune properly you might not have these issues. I also have an original but very modded maxx from way back in the day that will hang with any Savage, LST, or MGT. Yes I put some coin in it, but at the time it was the only option. I still run it to this day and rarely ever break anything. If you hate them thats fine, but don't go bashing someones project and telling them it's a waste of time.

Heck yeah! I'd much rather have bomb proof diffs and spit my stock driveshafts out! Any more info on them? Or should I just tease myself and look for 'em on the bay.

They are the diffs from an Ofna 8.5 Pro kit. Super heavy duty....oh yeah!

Scrogg, my sons 2.5 maxx runs great. Last time I took him out to run he ran through 8 tanks of fuel before we shut it down to come home. It did not burn out any glow plugs, it did not run "piss lean" it did not break anything, it ran great, if you knew how to tune properly you might not have these issues. I also have an original but very modded maxx from way back in the day that will hang with any Savage, LST, or MGT. Yes I put some coin in it, but at the time it was the only option. I still run it to this day and rarely ever break anything. If you hate them thats fine, but don't go bashing someones project and telling them it's a waste of time.

I'm happy for you and your son honestly. You need to reread my posts. I was referring to OTHER people's Maxx's I have seen. I know all to well how to tune a 3.3 and 2.5 or anything else you put in front of me. Everyone else seemed to understand I WAS NOT trash talking his work, merely trying to gain insight into his reasoning. I respect other people's hard work.
As far as a money race....your lucky I no longer own a Monster Truck.

I'm happy for you and your son honestly. You need to reread my posts. I was referring to OTHER people's Maxx's I have seen. I know all to well how to tune a 3.3 and 2.5 or anything else you put in front of me. Everyone else seemed to understand I WAS NOT trash talking his work, merely trying to gain insight into his reasoning. I respect other people's hard work.
As far as a money race....your lucky I no longer own a Monster Truck.
Scrogg...in your defense, I know what you meant and take no offense. I know where you are coming from....and my answer is basically the same reason those guys made the giant shredder....because I can. The T-Maxx was my first MT and I had a few problems with it. I was new to the Nitro game so most of it was self inflicted. I wanted to rebuild it and make it nearly indestructible. Why...just because. I can't come up with a much better reason. I know it will only ever be a basher....but we have no tracks in Okinawa anymore so all I CAN do is bash..... AND BASH I WILL :D. I see it as no harm, no foul just shop talk. Oh yeah I forgot :p: and have a trout....(excuse to use this one) :trout:.

Last edited:
LOL bud, I think I just struck a nerve with NCNitro...
He can get over it or he can....
Hope your truck turns out to be a bash worthy beast. Very nice work once again.
Edit; those are some high dollar diffs. You will not break them. Any 1/8th scale truggy/buggy diff shimmed properly is indestructable. My Jammin truggy probably has the scale equivalent of 200Kmiles on the front diff, still going strong. Backflips landing full throttle and anything else I threw at it. I blew the rear from letting the bearings go to long.

Last edited:
Back