$20 ebay roll cage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andler2008

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
just bought this rollcage off ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tmaxx-Roll-Cage...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb299a677

got it in today, and it looks good. its very stable. the only problem is that with the proline tank i have, i had to shave off some pieces off the side. the connectors that hold the cage on actually bolt into the bulkhead, but with the tiny screws that go through it, they actually break under extreme pressure. i havent had any other problems at all. definately recomend this cage.

very nice! thats a good deal too. I have quite a bit of work into mine to call it a 20 dollar cage! And under a pound in weight, I like it!

I had one and the bent pretty easy. They look ok though but after a few hits.....

Ebay says:
"Made of 3/16" steel rod, chrome plated.

Very strong, one adult person can stand on it without bending or breaking it.

It weighs 13.50 oz."

Are you saying the internet lied to me, say it isnt so, hahaha.

hahaha. i hope it works okay. like i said $20 and i dont mind doing a little fab work.

I have never had my cage bend, but them screws you talk of, those have broken on me, or at least bent making them a pain to take out, i modified it so i did not need a screw and nut, i don't know if yours is like that, mine took two screws on front and two on back, and they all took nuts witch where a pain, so i fixed that issue! I could stand on mine, I'm positive it would break something else before the cage..:)

I had one similar and it bent right at the base of the windshield. Did it's job though and since it's steel, it can be bent back a few times before it gets too fatigued.

Yup you are right Olds the same place mine bent too. Now a long time ago I got one from VinylGraphics on E-Bay....now that bad boy you could jump up and down on.

There's one hole on each side of the bulkhead connector aon the cage, and its not a threaded hole its just oversized so it has a little play in it. That little bit of play gives the cage more room to bounce off the screws. But I plan on making a better bulkhead connector to eliminate that play. A little Fab work for a custom piece is usual.

Yup...sounds like a plan there....also see if you can beef up the point where the windshield meets the rest of the front of the cage on either side. That is the biggest weak point in the cage. Other than that is was pretty good.

Where exactly did it bend on the windshield?

hahaha nevermind. i found out where its bending real quick. i thought my maxx was stuck in second gear, turns out the cage had bent so much that it was in the way of my gas/brake servo. i'm going to start thinking of ways to try and strengthen this area. cause it needs it.

Yeah I made up a picture with arrows last night and forgot to post it...my bad. Yeah it is not hard to find it after a couple roof landings....lol

completely obliterated my cage today. apparently my tmaxx gets decent air cause i didnt think it would hit that fire hydrant 15 feet away. i'm going to try and save it. if i cannot, at least i got the measurements of it to build a stronger one with bettter support. :whhooo::hehe:

i have been looking at possibly the same cage. i don't remember the sellers name. can you use bodies other than the original, or at least bodies with a similar shape. i have an elcamino body that I'm sure wouldn't fit. but I've seen some nice looking older truck bodies.

You'd just have to be pretty meticulous with measurements when choosing bodies. If you have a local hobby shop, you could just bring the rig in and plop a body over the cage to see if it fits right for ya. Some aftermarket bodies are larger than stock while others are slightly smaller. I'm sure you'll get some replies from others that have first hand experience.

This is the one I got a long time ago and I DID stand and bounce on it a bit....took tons of WAY bad landings and it was gtg.
http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-T-MAXX-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f06894b00

i wouldve liked to get that one but i wanted a cage that mounted to the bulheads. i didnt like the fact that it was going to rely on a piece of plastic for the bumpers to hold it up. but now I'm thinking I'm just going to build a new one reguardless. this one is done.

You would be surprised how well the bumper mounts hold up to the abuse though. I never broke one.