2.5 tmaxx problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevegates11

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello, I have the 2.5 maxx i just put a new glo plug on it. (i tried 3 new different ones same problem with each) any way so i have the needle settings at 4 turns out for the HSN and flush with the end of the arm for LSN. Any way i start it like this (it wont start so i lean the LSN a bit and it does) after that i leave it with the iginitor on for a little while i lean the needles to a save point (about 1/4 turn from factory on the LSN) And on the hsn about 3 3/4-3 1/2 turns from closed... Now once i get everything at a good setting (includeing idle) i start it.. it starts fine. Then i leave the iginitor on the plug for about 20 sec to get it up to temp. Then i take it off and slowly apply gas... Then it will just shut off... so i lean the LSN and no matter how lean that goes it will alwyas shut off... Help please

Originally posted by stevegates11
Hello, I have the 2.5 maxx i just put a new glo plug on it. (i tried 3 new different ones same problem with each) any way so i have the needle settings at 4 turns out for the HSN and flush with the end of the arm for LSN. Any way i start it like this (it wont start so i lean the LSN a bit and it does) after that i leave it with the iginitor on for a little while i lean the needles to a save point (about 1/4 turn from factory on the LSN) And on the hsn about 3 3/4-3 1/2 turns from closed... Now once i get everything at a good setting (includeing idle) i start it.. it starts fine. Then i leave the iginitor on the plug for about 20 sec to get it up to temp. Then i take it off and slowly apply gas... Then it will just shut off... so i lean the LSN and no matter how lean that goes it will alwyas shut off... Help please

try leaning the HSN more, mine is three turns out.

I run my HSN @4 1/8 turn and my LSN @ 1/16th lean from factory.
You may want to look for air leeks in the fuel tube.

is there really a point to answering a 7 year old thread...stevegates11 hasn't even been active on hear since 2003.

Another starting problem

Hi I've just bought a traxxas t-maxx with classic engine, and tried to start it, and it worked, but I have an electric start on it, and had to capelin some wire in the starter, and I've changed the glow plug, but it won't start... the left rear axle is missing, and I'm going to buy a new one, but it have startet without it, so why dosen't it start now? In a RC Nitro car shop they said that the fuel I used it was too much oil, so I bought one with 25% pure, and tried that, but it still won't work... can someone help me with some ideas?

Benny

i would say that he has burnt the glow plugs ,leaveing the ignighter on that long. ?the pluge my be getting hot inside , but the bottom of the pluge is what ignights the fuel may not be hot enough to keep it running once the ignighter is removed.

one of my main pieces of advice for tunning i will always say you need to take into consideration how far you are from sea level... elevation plays a huge part in nitro engines.

Now for your issue with not being able to take off.. you might actually be too lean on the LSN for it even to take off...

But like i said elevation... the further you are above sea level the more lean you want to go.. and vice versa..

Less air less fuel (lean)
More air more fuel (rich)

For instance i live about 4500 feet above sea level so right off the bat i have to lean HSN and LSN about a full turn clockwise after factory settings.

Just figure out how high you are and i can maybe help a little more.

Good luck !!

one of my main pieces of advice for tunning i will always say you need to take into consideration how far you are from sea level... elevation plays a huge part in nitro engines.

Now for your issue with not being able to take off.. you might actually be too lean on the LSN for it even to take off...

But like i said elevation... the further you are above sea level the more lean you want to go.. and vice versa..

Less air less fuel (lean)
More air more fuel (rich)

For instance i live about 4500 feet above sea level so right off the bat i have to lean HSN and LSN about a full turn clockwise after factory settings.

Just figure out how high you are and i can maybe help a little more.

Good luck !!
Hehe, I have managed to start it now, it was just a bad starter:p

I am 600 norwegian meter over the sea.

But when I'm trying to drive it, it stops, when I give a little throttle, it dies, why?

PS: I'm on a high mountain in Norway, but I don't know what the factory settings are, I've looked on traxxas.com and found both manual and tuned pipe instructions, but can't understand what the factory settings are.... someone can find it for me? It's a traxxas t-maxx classic

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dirt is the main enemy to your carburetor. If you notice a sudden change in the fuel mixture (lean) and performance of your model, you may have dirt lodged in the carburetor. To dislodge a dirt particle in your carburetor try screwing the high and low speed needles all the way in and then back out to their original settings noted below. Use extreme caution! Only screw the needles in until they stop or heavy resistance is felt. If you turn the needle in until it is tight, then you will damage the needle and seat assembly.

TRX .15:
HSN: 2.5 turns counterclockwise from closed.
LSN: 1.75 turns counterclockwise from closed.
TRX 2.5, 2.5R, 3.3:
HSN: 4 turns counterclockwise from closed.
LSN: 1.75 turns counterclockwise from closed, or flush with inside ring.
If the engine doesn't return to normal operation, try backing the mixture screws out and prime the engine to force fuel through the carburetor. Return the mixture screws back to their original settings. The engine will be flooded at this point so follow the directions for relieving a flooded engine.

If this procedure fails, you may have old fuel and oil clogging the fuel passages, and the carburetor will need to be removed and cleaned with a Nitro Cleaner (available at local hobby shops) or denatured alcohol. Do not blow on carburetor passages or fuel lines with your mouth. Fuel and solvents are extremely poisonous. To prevent debris from entering the carburetor again, make sure your fuel dispensing bottle is clean and always capped off when not in use. You may also need to flush your fuel tank out with fresh fuel. Make sure the area around the fuel tank cap and filter neck are clean before refueling your model. A few extra minutes of cleaning after running your vehicle can truly help extend your vehicles life.

On some vehicles not already equipped with an in tank fuel filter, You may install a fuel filter in the line between the tank and carburetor. (Jato and Revo have in tank filters.) When using a fuel filter, pay special attention to the fuel mixture and how the model is running. If you notice any variation (lean mixture), check the fuel filter immediately for possible blockage, and be sure to reinstall it in the same direction as it was removed. If you reinstall it backwards from how it was before, you will backflush all of the debris that you've been protecting the engine from, right into the carburetor.

Always remember to perform after run maintenance to the engine to prevent future issues with clogged fuel tanks, lines, and carburetors. Read how to perform after run for nitro engines.

stoll it from traxxas website

Thnx, I'll try that right away, but before I do, I'll have to tell you that one of the cogwheel or gears or what ever it's called, has startet to screem and stop in a millisecond or something, and then run agen, but it won't start, and I think it's some issues with those gearing wheel or clutch or something, I'll post a picture and try to post a video about it here (if that's working to put videos here)... but I can't yet.

you can find just about any operational problems on the traxxas website you just have to look for it .it may be under a different topic

Hehe, not easy to find it, but I found out that the name of the part is (something) clutch, but do not know how to fiox the ''screaming''...

Thnx, I'll try that right away, but before I do, I'll have to tell you that one of the cogwheel or gears or what ever it's called, has startet to screem and stop in a millisecond or something, and then run agen, but it won't start, and I think it's some issues with those gearing wheel or clutch or something, I'll post a picture and try to post a video about it here (if that's working to put videos here)... but I can't yet.

Is it flooding ? like when you start it does it lock up often ? or is it just stopping when it takes off ? It might be mainly your LSN needs adjusting....

I would work on just getting it to idle on a stand or wooden block or something.. then. while its idling jut kinda of rev it see how far you can rev before stalling. if its not even letting you take off like i said before.. its either the LSN is too lean or too rich.

And since your high up i would go about 3 turns out from factory settings posted above someone has all the info about what the factory settings are for your carb.

Also one full turn is spinning the screw basically 2 times, for instance if your screw is facing like this when its screwed all the way down clockwise

/ then you want to turn it half a turn witch will be facing like this again / then another half and it should look like that / then youve done a full turn.

I'm not the best at explaining but yeah just first spend time tunning it to idle and run on a block with the wheels off the ground.

isnt it bad for the engine reving it with no load on the tires??? I heard that someplace...

If your revving it like crazy yeah.. but i can't imagine it being bad for an engine ... I've seen 2 different company require to do this upon break in and if factory recommends it, it can't be that damaging.

I just wanna see if his truck is just stalling from the load or stalling just from the first amount of throttle.

No it's not flooding, It stops when I give a little throttle, and the starting problem, that was just a bad starter... but I'v got some tips about the HSN and the LSN, and I have followed those tips, and now I'll have to fix the starter, but I'll hope that I can get a pull starter sometime...

No it's not flooding, It stops when I give a little throttle, and the starting problem, that was just a bad starter... but I'v got some tips about the HSN and the LSN, and I have followed those tips, and now I'll have to fix the starter, but I'll hope that I can get a pull starter sometime...

This will save you a few bucks http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-517...Accessories&hash=item588f315e82#ht_2312wt_952

yeah i love pull starts.. every traxxas vehicle I've ever owned i switch to pull start.

When you get the starter and get it running let us know how things are going !!