2.2 Pimp Cane Clod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

run2jeepn

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Alright. Just about have everything to start on my new 2.2 Comp Crawler. It's going to have my 2.2 Pimp Cane chassis. (of Course) My buddy just won a big comp using this chassis. If you have never heard of the Pimp Cane chassis. Its a torsion style chassis. That means no link and no shocks. It's the lights chassis on the market. The strongest. It as the lowest COG also. In the last comp it was put up agaist Benders SW2, a Stick chassis and many others. And he beat them all. The Pimp Cane is becoming the best Comp chassis of the Clod. No lie. Here are the Specs of mine.

Axles: Clods, lcoked
Motors: two 65T Axiom
ESC: XL-5
Radio gear: TQ3
Chassis: 12.5in Pimp Cane
Servo: Tower Pro MG995 190oz of torque
Front burn Servo: Stock Stampede Servo
Tires: Masher 2ks, filled with Airsoft BB's
Wheels: Doubled narrowed Pede Wheels
Body: HPI Bug
Pinions: 8t's Front and Rear
Battery Pack: 8 cell IB1200 4 cells on each axle
8mm CVD Shaft up front
8mm Straight Axle in rear

and more just can't think of it.
I will have pic's in the next few days.

All under $500 bucks. Not bad for a great Comp Rig

I will finish this one before the 17in Super Class Pimp Cane

Here is what I got done today. I spun the rear axle around backwards. this alllow the tires more room to hit the rocks and adds 1/2in in the backbone. In return that 1/2 will give more flex. I locked the rear steer out with two 1/2in washers. I will cut off and smooth the knuckle down. You won't beable to tell it was ever a knuckle. If you noticed I drill holes in these chassis. Not one hole is stright across from each other. They are set 1/2in off. This allows more flex and still keeps it's strength. I'm sure theres more. If you have any questions just ask. Now on to the Pic's.
DSCF1844.jpg

DSCF1847.jpg

DSCF1848.jpg

This is how I locked out the rear Steer.
DSCF1852.jpg

Got alittle done today. I changed my Gear covers to clear ones. 100% better to set your gears with. I also changed to a 10 and 9t instead of 9 and 8t. I got by BTA on, wheels and tires also. The Batteries are going under my new axles stays. (Not Shown) Putting the Battery packs under the axle stays will lower my COG alittle more. Well here are the pic's before the axle stays and batteries were mounted.
DSCF1870.jpg

DSCF1869.jpg

DSCF1871.jpg

Some more done.
IMG_5224.jpg

IMG_5226.jpg

IMG_5225.jpg

Well I got the body painted. I took some pic's as I went. I would like to say this is only the 2nd time I have used more then one color and only my 4th body I have ever painted.

Step one: Cut and trim the body on the factory lines. Some poeple do this after it's painted, but I like to do this first. Then wash the body with dish soap and water. Rinse the body clean.
DSCF1882.jpg

DSCF1883.jpg

Step two: You can either let it dry over night or use a rag blow dryer to speed things up.
DSCF1887.jpg

Step three: Apply window mask and liquid masking. I used a brush to apply it.
DSCF1888.jpg

Step four: With a marker draw your design on the outside of the body. Make sure your body comes with an overspray film.
DSCF1889.jpg

Step five: Cut out your design with a hobby knife. Don't press to hard or you will leave a groove in the lexan.
DSCF1891.jpg

Step six: Peel the front part of the masking off and get it ready for paint. I outlined the design with some black paint by hand.
DSCF1892.jpg

Step seven: After I outlined the cracks. I then sprayed two thin layers of white pearl. I took a tooth brush and some yellow paint. Dipped the tooth brush in the yellow and used my thumb to spray spots all over the front.l Then I backed all that up with orange.
DSCF1894.jpg

DSCF1898.jpg

Well I have pretty much done. All that is left is to Mount the rear servo for digs. Got everything wired and ready to go. Battery was pretty dead so I was having some steering issues. But I think it was from the battery. Any here is a few pic's.
DSCF1939.jpg

DSCF1945.jpg

DSCF1942.jpg

DSCF1934.jpg

Short Vid Showing the Front Digs.
[ame=http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/jpcustomrcs/?action=view&current=DSCF1950.flv]
th_DSCF1950.jpg
[/ame]

Here is a few shots of how everything is layed out. I have the batteries under the axle stays.
DSCF1952.jpg

A shot of the rear Servo for the front Digs.
DSCF1953.jpg

DSCF1954.jpg

Well here is a really short vid climbing a ledge on my Test Rocks. I had to use my rear digs to even crest the top. I drove to the edge. Hit the rear digs and let the front suck down and get traction. Once it pulled it self up undid the rear digs to power the rest of the way up. The video really doesn't do it justice as they never do. But still very impressive for it's first run off the carpet.

[ame=http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/jpcustomrcs/?action=view&current=Leeroy1.flv]
th_Leeroy1.jpg
[/ame]

Got board at work and made a short video again.
[ame=http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/jpcustomrcs/?action=view&current=PimpCane3.flv]
th_PimpCane3.jpg
[/ame]

Well I got my New Motors in today...

Axiom's New V10 60t Crawler Motors...:D
DSCF2121.jpg

[ame=http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/jpcustomrcs/?action=view&current=StandUp.flv]
th_StandUp.jpg
[/ame]

Pretty much. I made the chassis. (Thats what I Do) Everything else was bought and pieced together to work as one.

[ame=http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/jpcustomrcs/?action=view&current=DSCF2154.flv]
th_DSCF2154.jpg
[/ame]

[ame=http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/jpcustomrcs/?action=view&current=DSCF2152.flv]
th_DSCF2152.jpg
[/ame]

Now here are few Big Pimp Cane Supers around 18in's.
[ame=http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/jpcustomrcs/?action=view&current=Movie_0001.flv]
th_Movie_0001.jpg
[/ame]

Last edited:
Leeroy is cool, I love the bug body but the "Big Pimp Cane Supers" are sick!!!!!

That crawler chassis works well... Who would've thought... Sometimes it's simplicity that conquers all.. Nice job..
Just how much does that U Channel twist? Makes me think about dismantling my IROCK....

run2jeepn, can you PM me some pricing info on a 18" super cane? After watching your vids I'm sold.

Great job on the step by step assembly of your project! Unfortunately not a lot of rocks to crawl down here....

Great job on the step by step assembly of your project! Unfortunately not a lot of rocks to crawl down here....

Where's down here? You can find stuff anywhere.

You have a pm and PP. I can't wait to get started on this build.

man that looks like nice, but i gotta ask, what is "dig"? the vid of it is to dark on this crappy monitor.

Dig. Gives you the ability to shut the rear motor or lock the rear axle up. That way you have just front wheel drive and the rear stay put. And in return you can turn on a dime. Also lets you drop off ledges with out the rear pushing you over. Helps alot with climbing ledges aswell. I use it more for climbing and dropping off ledges then I do turning.

Just ordered a new set of 2.2 Moabs and a New set of Maxx Mashers. If anyone knows the rules for the 2.2 tires.

Wheels limited to 2.2 inch diameter or smaller at the tire bead surface.
Wheels may be modified, provided that the tire bead surface does not exceed 2.2 inches in diameter.
Tires may be modified using a pliable rubber material, from any size tire, but must not exceed a total uncompressed outer diameter of 6 inches.

With that being side. He is what I'm doing with these two sets of tires. I'm using the sidewall of the 2.2 Mashers and adding them to the Maxx Mashers. That way I have a 5.5in Masher made for 2.2 wheels. They will also have Moabs sidewall tread. Mashers and Moabs are the best choice for Crawlers. So why not make it better. The Maxx Mashers will also be narrowed to 2-3/4in wide. They have to be narrowed to stay within the rules. I'll post up the amount it cost and a review on this tire combo.

Here is a pic of the same idea, But he used Badland tires. Which are about 1/8in taller. No much...Diff. And I perfer the Mashers over anyother tire.
shadowproject0033.jpg

I was considering building a 2.2 pimp cane. Then I saw the Hustler that RCP is coming out with ( whenever they release it to non RCC members) . Now I think Ill build both. I already have a RCGUY Gecko Pro ( and they are local to me ) and if I've leanred anything in this hobby is you can't have just one rc . Its an addiction for sure . Some people do drugs and I collect rc's :)

I think that the Hustler is alot of talk. There have been many tubers built just like it in the past. They may beat a Stick once in a while. But only b/c the stick driver sucked. You just can't beat the COG and ground cleanance that Stick style chassis have. And the Pimp Cane has better COG and more clearance then either. Don't forget about the weight also. Just my 2 cents. I think they look cool and I'm sure they work good also. But driver is always 90% of it.

Yeah I think I might do a Pimp cane.. Something big for sure. There is more and more guys getting into the hobby up here on Vancouver Island. Seems to be more 2.2 stuff than supers. Hopefully It will get more popular come summer time . I might have to hit ya up on a 18" wb ( or whatever they come as ) Pimp cane . I might even be the only one on the Island with one ! Woot Woot !

Pimp Canes come what ever wheelbase you want. No Other chassis on the market does that. 2.2's are very popular..They are just funner to drive and a little cheaper to build. The only thing about the Pimp Cane is you have to learn how to drive it. It's not like anything you have drove before. It reacts like nothing you have ever driven. So it's like starting all over.

I live in the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas. Lots of sand and flat anywhere you look. A crawler might be handy when I go to San Antonio or Austin, though.

Well Leeroy is getting a Make over...

*8mm CVD axle up front
*8mm Straight axle rear
*New axle tubes
*New Body Option
*New Tires and wheels

Maybe a few other little things. Don't know we'll see.:)

How much twist can the cane take and still spring back into shape?

Never had any issues in tha last year.

How much twist can the cane take and still spring back into shape?

my 17.5" P/C will twist the front or rear axle to almost 90 before it lifts another tire! when i frist put it together i had wideners on it,they came off the frist time i drove it,17" from outside of tire to outside of tire was a little TO wide :yes: !!