1st Trug race @ new track

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UltegraSTI

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
well finally got out w/the trug (sut pro) to pitstop hobbies in PA. www.pitstophobbies.net . got out w/the lady and met up w/some friends from RCNT ('PSI and psunitro).

didnt run my buggy as it only 4 tanks on new motor and no t/b linkage.

the day was surely an adventure.

turns out the root cause of most of my issues were that my carb settings were all outta whack after i resealed my carb and made some adjs. more on that later.

proceedings started 1lhr late due to weather previous day. waited til many people had ran and tractors had gotten rid of most of the clag buildup.

only practice tank, truck started steering funny, had to pull off, looked throughout linkage (which i had to go over earlier this wk when i found a bind), couldnt find anything, stone or clay buildup? well fired the truck back up and only 3 wheels went, 1 thought bout it. great either hub pin or cvd pin.

was the cvd, fixed that quite quick but was time for heats.

HEAT 1

truck was runnin okay, 1 jump was givin me real trouble. truck was runnin fair. was leadin the heat by a country mile when i flamed out @ 3min. got the truck and the race was done and i would not have gone much further again...sheared the other front cvd. grrr. (thankfully went back to bones for center and rear to avoid many of these issues). fixed that after mashalling.
only 7laps @ 2m52s (22-23sec avg), TQ was 10 (see what i mean?, grr).

HEAT 2

after fixing, i made a small needle change hoping it would take care of the flame out wasn't driving well again, making some mistakes around traffic, runnin around 24-5sec laps. 3min in, it happened, did a flip over that damn jump again.....flame out. suspected 1 needle lean, 1 not. took a guess b/c no practice between rounds, can't run car on bench and just lack of time.

HEAT 3

well i took a guess on what was happenin...guessed wrong. thing was very piggish down straight and just generally flat on this tight course. 2min in (plus warmup on all these i might add) flame out.

(btw my car went on a flyer after some1 flipped their radio on during 3rd heat warmup-no room for failsafe b/c of battery-powered xponder, should have at least put a rubber band on-next time)

MAIN

well b4 main i asked bout rules for track practice between rounds, they said usually dont do any. but can tune car out on lot next door if not on any channel any racer is using, my backup channel was not in use by any1 (man i need a syn radio or a spek). changed out and ran in lot. lowend way too lean topend compensatin some by b'g way fat. how it got that way idk.

cleaned it up some such that smoke at all times, was stumblin comin out, holdin a decent idle and runnin around 20x. all i had time for.

go out 1st again to warmup for main, 2nd lap of warmup nice and easy, came off jump nose up some and clunk. left front arm broke, about at the spot where i had to do some addtn'l shaving for knuckle clearance. game over.

packed up and left, rough day. wish they'd get some more trucks out there so we could have a 15min main like stadiums do. oh well. too bad i dont have some friends who race those, prolly cheaper to run overall.

so...outta gas, have parts for buggy, broke truck. and what do i get?

well i have to console myself w/fastest lap of the day. small prize, but it was fun, running and working alot but fun. need to brush up my driving (lil rusty) and sort some stuff out but the truck was fast outta the box w/a base setup and never racing on that track b4. but i'll be back

psunitro (jeff) and corrado (chris) were there and had their own trials. jeff kakoomed a storm chassis, kingpin holder, pin, and knuckle and then 1 heat just forgot to top off from last heat (early exit). killed a PS clean off (bump box my friend!!!) rough, he didnt run his trug b/c it was down. lotta parts needed there, might just be time to part it out and move to the next buggy early. chris had a big clutch issue that i think just caused him to change motors, or at least cannibalize 1 i believe. idk bout his buggy, think he ran full distance each time. maybe soon i can get out there w/my storm and see what gives.

all in all good fun, and a good track that i'll frequent more often.

cheers

-Ult

PS-sorry no camera 2day so no video or stills. somethin i still need to buy.

Last edited:
Man sounds like a day...My first race period will be in a couple weeks..

well new track, lil rusty, and a mistuned car-coupled w/fact that its freshly rebuilt. not surprised it had some teething. the engine is a lil finicky almost feels like it has lil compression, if she only has 2gal's worth in her (well finished 2, but if i dont at least get to 3), i will NOT be happy.

-Ult

Which engine are you running?

25 MTs (GS)

-Ult

Yeah, just a bad race dat overall.I just need to pick up some batts for my starterbox,will do that this week.Gonna be checking ebay for a storm front end or a roller. Too bad I had so many issues,could not hang out with much of anyone tring to fix my junk.

hmmm, perhaps mine for a roller? a nice roller. depends if ur gonna move onto a mayhem, xray, or jammin piece i guess.

-ult

UltegraSTI said:
didnt run my buggy as it only 4 tanks on new motor and no t/b linkage.

you bought the linkage, and had everything in hand to run it. linkage takes 5 minutes to install and setup. all you had to do was race it rich, the engine would have been 100% ok.

UltegraSTI said:
HEAT 1

truck was runnin okay, 1 jump was givin me real trouble. truck was runnin fair. was leadin the heat by a country mile when i flamed out @ 3min. got the truck and the race was done and i would not have gone much further again...sheared the other front cvd. grrr. (thankfully went back to bones for center and rear to avoid many of these issues). fixed that after mashalling.
only 7laps @ 2m52s (22-23sec avg), TQ was 10 (see what i mean?, grr).

the rest of the story is that TQ also left the race early at the 3:30 mark with those 10 laps

UltegraSTI said:
HEAT 2

after fixing, i made a small needle change hoping it would take care of the flame out wasn't driving well again, making some mistakes around traffic, runnin around 24-5sec laps. 3min in, it happened, did a flip over that damn jump again.....flame out. suspected 1 needle lean, 1 not. took a guess b/c no practice between rounds, can't run car on bench and just lack of time

you can always tune on the bench with the radio off and get very close.

UltegraSTI said:
HEAT 3

well i took a guess on what was happenin...guessed wrong. thing was very piggish down straight and just generally flat on this tight course. 2min in (plus warmup on all these i might add) flame out.

(btw my car went on a flyer after some1 flipped their radio on during 3rd heat warmup-no room for failsafe b/c of battery-powered xponder, should have at least put a rubber band on-next time)

plenty of room for a failsafe, jeff has one in his infact, and its not like the transponder is in your radio box, its just 1 extra wire inside.

UltegraSTI said:
MAIN

well b4 main i asked bout rules for track practice between rounds, they said usually dont do any. but can tune car out on lot next door if not on any channel any racer is using, my backup channel was not in use by any1 (man i need a syn radio or a spek). changed out and ran in lot. lowend way too lean topend compensatin some by b'g way fat. how it got that way idk.

cleaned it up some such that smoke at all times, was stumblin comin out, holdin a decent idle and runnin around 20x. all i had time for.

go out 1st again to warmup for main, 2nd lap of warmup nice and easy, came off jump nose up some and clunk. left front arm broke, about at the spot where i had to do some addtn'l shaving for knuckle clearance. game over.

packed up and left, rough day. wish they'd get some more trucks out there so we could have a 15min main like stadiums do. oh well. too bad i dont have some friends who race those, prolly cheaper to run overall.

so...outta gas, have parts for buggy, broke truck. and what do i get?

well i have to console myself w/fastest lap of the day. small prize, but it was fun, running and working alot but fun. need to brush up my driving (lil rusty) and sort some stuff out but the truck was fast outta the box w/a base setup and never racing on that track b4. but i'll be back

fastest lap i can't dispute because i never checked the numbers and they throw them away at the end of the day. what i will say is that you bailing after breaking your truck, and not marshaling the race after yours was pretty poor form. even if you didnt get to run its your responsibility to marshall the next race. josh had to wait to start the race, he needed volunteers because there werent enough marshalls. and your welcome for the explanation of why your motor was running like crap all day and how to fix it. go buy the nitro tuning book that rccaraction or whoever puts out. seriously you need it, i know its hard to admit, but its not the first time youve had trouble with a tune and it would help you.

yes I'm being a peepee. I'm tired of excuses and claims that i dont see firsthand. if your going to bring your buggy, run it. if your having problems, ask for help before its too late. and definately have the courtesy to marshall the races your supposed to. I'm glad you came up to run, and hope you do again. just relax a bit more, and let your driving do the talkin.

UltegraSTI said:
psunitro (jeff) and corrado (chris) were there and had their own trials. jeff kakoomed a storm chassis, kingpin holder, pin, and knuckle and then 1 heat just forgot to top off from last heat (early exit). killed a PS clean off (bump box my friend!!!) rough, he didnt run his trug b/c it was down. lotta parts needed there, might just be time to part it out and move to the next buggy early. chris had a big clutch issue that i think just caused him to change motors, or at least cannibalize 1 i believe. idk bout his buggy, think he ran full distance each time. maybe soon i can get out there w/my storm and see what gives.

jeff had his issues yes, busted the buggy up the worst today that I've seen in a long time. he has the parts for his truggy, just has to modify a few things and it will be tearing up the track soon.

i had a slipping clutch in the truggy and a rear center uni that lost its setscrew, missed the first 2 heats ran fine in the 3rd and main, took 2nd in MT. buggy ran great all day long qual'd 4th, by the 3rd heat (14/5:07). was holding onto 2nd and trying to catch 1st which was proving difficult when i flamed out on a tumble with about 1 minute to go. the guy in front and the 1 behind me were both very fast guys that usually run another track that races 8th scales almost exclusively (50+buggies/week). the leader is an A main regular there, so i felt pretty good about hanging with him at our track. id say overall i had a successful day

UltegraSTI said:
all in all good fun, and a good track that i'll frequent more often.

cheers

-Ult

PS-sorry no camera 2day so no video or stills. somethin i still need to buy.

i hope you do, take my comments with a grain of salt, and the bit of advise i gave.

Back