1st plane

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are cool little planes. I have 3 Ultra micros. Let us know how flying it goes and what you think about the plane.

Here's my main flyer.
photo17.jpg

That's a nice looking plane, if this all goes well I might want to get a E-Flite UMX Beast. The Transmitter that came with this one works as a bind n fly for that as well.

You are going to love the champ, nice slow and really easy to fly. Also check out the night vapor, another slow plane but looks really nice at dusk with the LED's

Could barely get the plane of the ground and when I did it kept wanting to go left and down. Wasn't in the air long enough to fix with trim, it also wouldn't taxi straight kept going left. Then I crashed not harder then the other times but at the perfect angle to break a wing clear off, also noticed the propeller shaft was bent as well. I think that's what was causing the plane the plane to fly down ,as the it was bent down.

Yeah it does, it's only a $20 fix with the propeller, shaft and new wing. I got the plane for $120 with an extra battery, so it's not too much money. I just thought with this being a trainer plane it wouldn't be so hard to fly, I got play with the rudder and elevator trim so it goes straight well I hope that's what's causing this, hopefully someone with more knowledge well chime in.

The ultra micro's won't really taxi very well. I had the P-51 and the Pole Cat. The rear end is too light for it. If you give it full up elevator while taxiing it will put down force on the horizontal stab giving it a little more grip.

All I can say about the tip stalling is make sure your CG is right. Always be smooth on the controls.

By up elevator you mean push up on the elevator or down? I was pushing down and it was just making the front end go down and slamming the prop into the ground. But this when it was maybe 6 inches off the ground.

You need to pull the stick towards you to lower the tail and raise the nose for takeoff. You really need to study what the stick movements do to the control surfaces before you try to fly again.

Up means pull back on the stick, as to make the planes nose come up. If you give a tail dragger down elevator it will raise the tail up, so pulling up makes it stick.

I was pulling back and it did that. I need to play with the trims, throttle and rudder I really don't think I was getting enough throttle. I was familiar with the controls I read the book 3 times once when first got then again Sunday and right before I went out with it. What I do need to do is a better preflight check for my rudder and elevator movements. Is there anyway to check the throttle before it's in the air? I'm not trying to argue here I'm all in for the help, but I do know the controls and what does what it was just weird that I was pulling back and was doing that, when I got in the air got it about 10 feet in the pulling back was making it climb but only briefly and I wasn't holding back long enough to
make it stall, I was holding back for maybe a second. I couldn't get it to fly straight and high enough to tweak the trims, that's what happened when I crashed it I was adjusting and took an eye off it for a second and it was to late to recover.

Last edited:
Oh well back to the lhs tomorrow, I'll play with trims until I get them right and learn to fly it. Crashes happen that's part of the learning curve right.

Once you get ready to fly again PM me and if you want we can Skype to walk you through the setup and trims a bit before you go out. Also best to hand launch the Champ, it is a slow flier and is more then happy to cruse about at half throttle.

Barry

They're happy to cruise at half throttle but take full power whether you're doing a ground take off or having a friend hand launch it for you.

Cool and cool. I was feathering the throttle up, do I need to just jam it up as quick as possible. The manual said it will fly at 3/4 throttle, that's why I was feathering it. I appreciate the help guys.

Remember not to be too aggressive with the elevator. It's not an unlimited class aerobat.

I was real sensitive on the elevator, didn't want to get into a stall on my first use with it.

Could barely get the plane of the ground and when I did it kept wanting to go left and down. Wasn't in the air long enough to fix with trim, it also wouldn't taxi straight kept going left. Then I crashed not harder then the other times but at the perfect angle to break a wing clear off, also noticed the propeller shaft was bent as well. I think that's what was causing the plane the plane to fly down ,as the it was bent down.

The prop shaft is supposed to be bent like that. It's to counteract the torque since it is such a light plane. And trim the plane to make it fly straight and level. If that doesn't work, there is a little u curve on the elevator/rudder pushrods. Use pliers and widen/shorten those as needed.

Back