120A HW Max10 SCT or HW WP-SC8?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I will be running strictly on 2S, with a HW 3656 4700KV motor, in a Slash 4x4 with Traxxas Sledgehammers from the Hoss 4X4, and both the Max10 and WP-SC8 are similarly priced, but, which one would be better for what i want to do with it? It is strictly for bashing, and will be in the mud and water at times. Would the 80A Max10 be suitable for what I'm looking to do?

the SC8 is gross overkill... in fact many racers prefer Max10 SCT for 4S with a 4268-2000KV motor so it won't break a sweat on 2S

*** EDIT ***

I just saw you mention 80A which is the NOT the SCT ESC, there is a Max 10 G2 which is limited to 3S:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max10-g2-esc?variant=40519459078259

The Max 10 SCT is rated for 120A:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max10-sct?variant=20187925828

I would encourage you to consider running 3S with a 3660-3000KV motor as a compromise to get the best efficiency so you don't cook your batteries

Last edited:
the SC8 is gross overkill... in fact many racers prefer Max10 SCT for 4S with a 4268-2000KV motor so it won't break a sweat on 2S

*** EDIT ***

I just saw you mention 80A which is the NOT the SCT ESC, there is a Max 10 G2 which is limited to 3S:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max10-g2-esc?variant=40519459078259

The Max 10 SCT is rated for 120A:

I would encourage you to consider running 3S with a 3660-3000KV motor as a compromise to get the best efficiency so you don't cook your batteries
I originally found the WP-SC8 because of another post, then, someone linked the 80A Max10 SCT RTR (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2332721266...ct/rdejz328aniG5Q5XBd1Uw==|tkp:Bk9SR8CV9aeJYg) version, as well as the 120A Max10 SCT, and, since prices are within $10 of each other, it just comes down to which is the better option. As for running 3S, all my stuff is set up for 2S, and i would rather not spend the time and money to buy new motors and batteries, so, if i can, i am just going to set up both of my 4X4's for 2S. I have never ran 4S or bigger, simply because i stick strictly with 1/10TH scale, and, with the right set up, some of my 2WD SCT's are a bit much to handle ( Slash 2WD with HW 10BL120 and HW XeRun SCT 4300KV), that does nearly 50 on 2S, for example, so, i would rather just stay with 2S. Every motor i have is from 3900KV to 4700KV, and, all my batteries (6) are 2S. I wish i still had the video of my old Slash 2WD on 2S (Arrma BLX100 ESC and cheap chinese 4370KV 3650) against my old Losi 22S (stock Dynamite 60A ESC and 3300KV 3650) on 3S. The Slash was faster all day long, would jump higher, backflip better, and, not once did i ever run it on 3S. Through the years, one thing i have learned, set it up right, and it will do exactly what you want it to do, which is why i never felt the need for even 3S. My Arrma hybrid build (https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/3s-mega-hybrid-build.48405/) only ever ran 2S, and would do 45 easily in the snow.

First off, that ebay link is not a HobbyWing branded ESC, it's a clone with no guarantee that the parts quality will be as good as what you would get from a HobbyWing certified label.

Second, they have mislabeled the product as there is no such thing as a "MAX 10 SCT 60A"

There is a MAX 10 SCT 120A or MAX 10 60A that is not rated for SCT's:

I personally would not buy the "fake clone" as you have no idea what quality components were used on the assembly line, more info here:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/rebranded-esc-vs-knockoff.138327/

If you want to save money, then spend a little more to get higher quality components from HobbyWing Direct so you don't end up buying twice.

Best of luck!

I have a max10sct in my senton, i run 2s 90% of the time, and its been great. No experience with the other esc’s you have listed tho.

First off, that ebay link is not a HobbyWing branded ESC, it's a clone with no guarantee that the parts quality will be as good as what you would get from a HobbyWing certified label.

Second, they have mislabeled the product as there is no such thing as a "MAX 10 SCT 60A"
Best of luck!
Actually, its a HW rebrand. They do it all the time, especially for companies like HSP and Redcat Racing. For example, this is a rebranded HW 10BL50: https://www.redcatracing.com/products/wp-10bl50-rtr-cnf131-t?variant=30993669488730 and, the one i linked is the 80A, not the 60A version, that was, at one point stock in the Axial Yeti Score RTR. Here is a pretty comprehensive list of the HW rebrands: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/esc-rebrand-conversion-guide.9960/ which includes the Arrma BLX ones, Dynamite, Reedy, Habao, and many others. HW has been allowing RTR manufacturers to rebrand its stuff for years now, and, at times, even allows manufacturers to specify their own specs, and, such as in the case of the Max10 SCT 80A RTR, will even build an ESC to a manufacturers specs.

The new Axial Vanguard series is a rebranded Castle.

I'm pretty sure Bill is aware that Hobbywing makes something like half of the world's ESCs, but the one you linked looks suspicious. Why is it even labeled SCT if it's the same power as a regular Max10 80A?

There's no doubt in my mind that the HW ESC comes from the same OEM as the "rebranded" version, however I seriously doubt they are using the same internal components.

Ever since COVID, I have noticed that quality from HobbyWing has been reduced and I can only imagine how much worse the quality is for the rebranded equipment with even lower quality components :(

Many years ago there was a company called Brushless Hobbies (BHR) which rebranded a discontinued HW 120A ESC for $45 and it was a hit/miss ESC. I had bought 3 of them and all 3 worked great for several months, but all 3 failed within 6 months of use. Not long after that BHR would go out of business and the same ESC would get distributed through HobbyKing with many people experiencing the same results. I would not be surprised to see the same thing happen with the ebay clones.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/628035-brushless-hobbies-80amp-120amp-escs-3.html

There's no doubt in my mind that the HW ESC comes from the same OEM as the "rebranded" version, however I seriously doubt they are using the same internal components.

Ever since COVID, I have noticed that quality from HobbyWing has been reduced and I can only imagine how much worse the quality is for the rebranded equipment with even lower quality components :(

Many years ago there was a company called Brushless Hobbies (BHR) which rebranded a discontinued HW 120A ESC for $45 and it was a hit/miss ESC. I had bought 3 of them and all 3 worked great for several months, but all 3 failed within 6 months of use. Not long after that BHR would go out of business and the same ESC would get distributed through HobbyKing with many people experiencing the same results. I would not be surprised to see the same thing happen with the ebay clones.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/628035-brushless-hobbies-80amp-120amp-escs-3.html
A few of the early Redcat ones are that way. They work, then they dont. The only reliable ones i found from the older ones are the 10BL50 (which, the first one of these i owned was in a Hobby King Quanam Vandal) and 10BL60, and the WP-1040 brushed, but, i havent bought a Redcat in 3 or 4 years new, so who knows what the newer ones are like. Where i get stuck with some of them, is that they come RTR from reputable companies. For example, the one i linked was from Axial, but, Axial listed it as an SCT ESC (i had an Axial Yeti Score for a short time, and that was the ESC it came with. Personally though, i was not a fan of that truck at all, so, i traded it off real quick), so, maybe that was there doing. Either way, i only originally listed that one just to see what was said about it. After a bunch of trial and error, and more money spent than i should have ever spent, one thing i learned is, even with 1/10TH scale, especially 4X4, 100A ESC's are pretty much a bare minimum requirement, although, i have found a couple exceptions (the old Dynamite 60A that came stock in my Losi 22S, and Losi Tenacity, that i never had any issues with, is one example), so, i thought the one i linked might be one of those exceptions.
If you want to save money, then spend a little more to get higher quality components from HobbyWing Direct so you don't end up buying twice.

Best of luck!
I usually do buy directly from HW, but, in this case, I'm actually kind of stuck, because i dont have the funds to cough up for a $150+ ESC (especially since i actually ultimately need 2), and, with my minimum requirements (waterproof, 120A), the ones i linked on eBay were actually the only ones i could find that fit those requirements for under $80. I even got ahold of HW directly about the buy back program, and, the only one they could recommend that fit what i am looking for was $130 (Max10 G2 140A) after the buyback of my old one, which is way out of my price range.

I have a very strict $100 per month RC budget, and, most of the time, since i dont typically break things, i can stay under that, until i need electronics, then I'm stuck either waiting months to run my trucks, or, not run them at all, which is why i typically find everything on eBay. Most of the time, i get lucky, but, lately, my luck seems to suck, because the one i used to get isnt available anymore in my price range.

Last edited:
I don't trust that eBay seller one bit, they have conflicting information between the product description and details.... I believe they are misleading you into thinking that it came from an Axial, but they are just listing compatibility.

I went to Axial's website and did a generic search for "ESC" where every ESC they sell is clearly marked and branded with labels of either Axial, Spektrum or Firma:
https://www.axialadventure.com/search?q=esc&lang=default

What you see in the eBay listing has no label markings making it extremely sketchy.... buyer beware!

FWIW, if I had a monthly budget of $100, then I would wait and save up to get higher quality which will save money in the long run. I've been burned too many times with the black labels, been there done that.

Just a heads up.

The OG (or G1) series of Max10 Combos are sensorless.

The OG Max10 is 60A, sensorless, and comes with a 3652 SL motor (choose your Kv)
The OG Max10 "SCT" is 120A, sensorless, and comes with a 3660 SL motor (choose your Kv) (This is meant for 4x4 SCTs and heavy trucks, over 6lbs)

From now on, the OG Max10's are discontinued, and now the G2's had came out. You might be able to find the OG Max10s on ebay new in box, or used. Note: The G2's had came out December 2022/ January 2023.

The Max10 G2's are all sensored

The Max10 G2 is 80A, sensored (not sure what size motor)
The Max10 G2 is 140A, sensored (not sure what size motor)

Hope this clears up some. :)

I use the OG Max10 (60A, 4000kv) in my rustler 2wd.
I use the OG Max10 "SCT" (120A, 4000kv) in my slash 2wd.
Both are amazing systems. I had been wanting the new G2 just for the sensored part but for right now I am fine with the G1s.

I don't trust that eBay seller one bit, they have conflicting information between the product description and details.... I believe they are misleading you into thinking that it came from an Axial, but they are just listing compatibility.

I went to Axial's website and did a generic search for "ESC" where every ESC they sell is clearly marked and branded with labels of either Axial, Spektrum or Firma:
https://www.axialadventure.com/search?q=esc&lang=default

What you see in the eBay listing has no label markings making it extremely sketchy.... buyer beware!

FWIW, if I had a monthly budget of $100, then I would wait and save up to get higher quality which will save money in the long run. I've been burned too many times with the black labels, been there done that.
This entire thing started about a year ago, because the Dynamite i used to buy from a specific kit breaker is no longer available, and, since i have absolutely dismal luck with anything Spektrum (bought 2 BLX100's from Jenny's. and burnt them both up in less than a month when they got wet, and, after them 2, which made a total of 8 Spektrum ESC's i burnt up, i wont ever buy another one), I'm pretty much back to either trial and error (which more than likely means ill end up buying the 120A from eBay), waiting until i get annoyed and just selling the truck (i dont have the patience to wait months to get one truck running. I would rather use the money to keep the trucks i actually like using, especially during the summer, running), or, trading it for a running truck. During the summer, my trucks serve two purposes, get me away from my desk, since i am in front of it some days 12 hours, and stress relief, so, when my trucks dont run, it just frustrates me more. I use to have really good luck, even with 4WD, with the HW 10BL60, but, lately, they tend to fail really quickly in a 4X4 for some reason. This truck, for example, had a 10BL60 in it for over a year, paired to a HW 3652 4300KV, until i stupidly tried to pair it with a 3800KV 3660 motor: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/3s-mega-hybrid-build.48405/
Just a heads up.

The OG (or G1) series of Max10 Combos are sensorless.

The OG Max10 is 60A, sensorless, and comes with a 3652 SL motor (choose your Kv)
The OG Max10 "SCT" is 120A, sensorless, and comes with a 3660 SL motor (choose your Kv) (This is meant for 4x4 SCTs and heavy trucks, over 6lbs)

From now on, the OG Max10's are discontinued, and now the G2's had came out. You might be able to find the OG Max10s on ebay new in box, or used. Note: The G2's had came out December 2022/ January 2023.

The Max10 G2's are all sensored

The Max10 G2 is 80A, sensored (not sure what size motor)
The Max10 G2 is 140A, sensored (not sure what size motor)

Hope this clears up some. :)

I use the OG Max10 (60A, 4000kv) in my rustler 2wd.
I use the OG Max10 "SCT" (120A, 4000kv) in my slash 2wd.
Both are amazing systems. I had been wanting the new G2 just for the sensored part but for right now I am fine with the G1s.
Since i only bash, i dont really need sensored. The original Max10 120A is one of them i am looking for on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/132628378354?hash=item1ee14472f2:g:tn8AAOSw9lhjTBSx&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwPoP7UE/bR2HwlReVSqbcNfhy+DCKYaSITriwe9D0Wgb3gvUGqHKihwqwj3e28MwObT0w37sZGGGjRvbPQJvnH1WV4fCem3I2CIwhGvGpcvsQBakuTGmmJJ/KKAqFyhi6TfVbIn02rVYlL7mpN7pWinbd08o2PuSiggU935JLeRKG8+dV7dus6mAYPj2iRhZElEEifSfpDSYCHRxqj2tO9eCkcvtk9P4iApmXpQl8VAfvtUDWUDuHA8wkkmWmIutHQ==|tkp:Bk9SR8CV9aeJYg) (i have been to this guys shop, before he closed it to strictly sell on eBay) and, more than likely, the one i will end up buying. As for the new 140A, HW wants $130 as an upgrade.

EDIT: My only requirements are that it be waterproof, and, at bare minimum, 100A, and enough for a 4WD SCT, and not Castle or Spektrum, and, i already know that, with my limited budget, I'm stuck going a certain route, which i am perfectly ok with. If it doesn't work, it gets added to the list of what doesn't work is all. I'm just the type that is always looking for ways to keep my prices as low as humanly possible, which, yes, i know, most dont agree with, but, up until the last few months, was never an issue, at least for me. I have always had good luck with the cheaper stuff, but, lately, something, somewhere, changed.

Last edited:
I'd just save up a few more "bucks"...

1685007769742.png

Last edited:
Not that I'd buy chop shop electronics in the first place, but the whole "not putting RTR" in the title makes me think a seller is trying to mislead/deceive people. Also, the listing's first picture has item turned to "hide" the reality. Just irks me, and I move on to next item.
1685009477144.png

I'd just save up a few more "bucks"...

View attachment 166240
Just personal preference, but, anymore, i rarely buy from Amazon. Had too many issues with their supposed free two-day shipping taking a week or more, and, even after i stopped using prime and paid for shipping, the fastest anything ever got to me, if it even did, was 6 days, from one state over.

Not that I'd buy chop shop electronics in the first place, but the whole "not putting RTR" in the title makes me think a seller is trying to mislead/deceive people. Also, the listing's first picture has item turned to "hide" the reality. Just irks me, and I move on to next item.
View attachment 166243
Pretty much all of my electronics, other than servo's, come from kit breakers, and, other than Spektrum stuff, i rarely have issues with them. Spektrum and i have a hate-hate relationship. I use to also buy stuff through BangGood and AliXpress, but, prices have gotten ridiculous, and shipping has become even worse. What use to take 3 weeks now takes 5 or more.

Yeah, I'm a frugal person, but there is only so far down on "the shelves" that I go. I don't know what I was thinking about Hobbywing purchases on Amazon. I don't do it. I almost always buy directly from Hobbywing as they have the same prices. I guess I was looking at prices, and just clipped that picture for some odd reason. Funny thing is, as it states on Amazon, the seller is Hobbywing North America 😆 :oops:

1685061213056.png

How true that is, I don't know.

I buy all my Hobbywing esc's and motors from them direct, or on AMain. If I'm looking for something discontinued from HW (Like I was browsing at the V2.1 and V3.1) on eBay, or FB market place.

Just personal preference, but, anymore, i rarely buy from Amazon. Had too many issues with their supposed free two-day shipping taking a week or more, and, even after i stopped using prime and paid for shipping, the fastest anything ever got to me, if it even did, was 6 days, from one state over.

Pretty much all of my electronics, other than servo's, come from kit breakers, and, other than Spektrum stuff, i rarely have issues with them. Spektrum and i have a hate-hate relationship. I use to also buy stuff through BangGood and AliXpress, but, prices have gotten ridiculous, and shipping has become even worse. What use to take 3 weeks now takes 5 or more.
I try take make full advantage of being a Prime member. Some of the big name hobby stores, like HH, sell on Amazon... I get better deals normally shopping on there plus the free shipping. My past couple of bodies that I bought on Amazon were sold/shipped from Horizon Hobbies... saved me about $15 on each body.

I would love to support a brick and mortar hobby store, but none are close enough to me. What really gets me going is when I went to a craft store, Michaels, just to buy some CA glue, and I seen the exact same thing on my phone for a cheaper price with free shipping... will be delivered to me by the next day.

Last edited:
I try take make full advantage of being a Prime member. Some of the big name hobby stores, like HH, sell on Amazon... I get better deals normally shopping on there plus the free shipping. My past couple of bodies that I bought on Amazon were sold/shipped from Horizon Hobbies... saved me about $15 on each body.

I would love to support a brick and mortar hobby store, but none are close enough to me. What really gets me going is when I went to a craft store, Michaels, just to buy some CA glue, and I seen the exact same thing on my phone for a cheaper price with free shipping... will be delivered to me by the next day.
A-Main, Horizon and Tower all also sell on eBay, and, at least my experience, buying through eBay VS. Amazon, it always gets here faster from eBay, and, half the time is cheaper on eBay. I used to use prime all the time, until i ordered some parts from Amazon that got delayed by their system, so, i ordered them from A-Main on eBay (didnt realize it was A-Main at the time), and the stuff got here before Amazon even shipped, and, that is only one of a dozen times i have had that happen. As for an actual store, the nearest from me is a tiny little place that most of the time, he will order stuff for you, since he rarely ever has anything in stock, and is 50 miles away. The closest shop from me that does stock anything is 65 miles away. We used to have one closer, but, they closed last year, and, in the last 2 years, six shops within a 40 mile radius have all closed.

Back