100 mph Jato

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushlessboy

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
No I dont have one, and before you all roll your eyes hear me out.
I have two Jatos, I will leave one as is, but I want to build the other to top 100mph. It would be easy to overpower the chassis, (LRP .28 spec 3 Truggy would do it) but I dont want to just go big. Wheelie bars almost at groung level, alot of thought about the gearing and tyre size, (tyre, remember I'm an aussie) but can anyone suggest what could theoretically be a good mill to try and crack it?
Please, anyone?????

IMO doesn't matter what mill it is all in gearing. Just look at the guys at Bonniville Salt Flats. Have to keep in mind if mill will withstand the RPM. Just my $.02

I think your name gives you your answer.....brushless and Li-po. That is the only way I know of to break 100mph. I am sure you could make a bracket of some sort to make it work.......

eww electric yuck

um well like said before id play with the gearing see wat you can do first then start looking at your mill but with that much power things are gonna start snapping

I think your name gives you your answer.....brushless and Li-po. That is the only way I know of to break 100mph. I am sure you could make a bracket of some sort to make it work.......

The first R/c ever to break 100mph was an Hpi Super Nitro. A magazine even did an article on it and listed every part to build it.
To be honest your biggest problem would be downforce/drag.
I don't think you will be able to do it open wheel like the Jato is. Maybe use a 1/8 scale Lola body and mod it to fit.

I smell a Nova or RB. The Nova would be better. I hope you have some damn deep pockets!

Bryson

I smell a Nova or RB. The Nova would be better. I hope you have some damn deep pockets!

Bryson

RB C6, Top End from hell. Or even a modded V-Spec.
Either way you probably will need the engine modded to achieve more RPM's
Look into ABmods.com
Great guy and excellent work.

100mph Jato

Thanks guys. I will write ALL that down. I will need an engine possibly with more torque. I was thinking of slotting a 2 speed into it, so I can run first gear about where it is, then run a tall second. I thought a 2 speed would help hold the nose down but I agree downforce could be the drama. Deep pockets aren't the problem, but the knowledge is. I will be asking more questions on it later.
By the way breakages not really a problem, I will be happy if it only does it once.

If that is the case then the Traxxas 4 Tec 3.3 does over 70mph out of the box......more suited for this kind of project really....IMO.....just get video

Thanks frickenjoey. While laying in bed last night, (a scary thought for all) I thought exactly the same thing. I might love my Jatos but the 4 Tec is faster and much better in the wind. I'll talk with my LHS. They're like family and I'm sure we can do this. Thanks all....

If that is the case then the Traxxas 4 Tec 3.3 does over 70mph out of the box......more suited for this kind of project really....IMO.....just get video

While laying in bed last night, (a scary thought for all) I thought the same thing. The 4 Tec is faster and should be a lot more stable in the wind.
Not too much of a stretch for another 30mph I'm sure. Thanks Joey, thanks all for the assistancs. I'll take your thought to my lhs, they're like family and will help me achieve this. :yes:

Hey Brushless you know I was thinking?.....4-Tec+Picco Maxx .26 = one retarded fast car.....big damn bell gear and smaller spur.....Just may work. Yeah I love my Jato too....I beat the life out of it and it just keeps going. But the 4-Tec may be the way to go. O.S. Speed 21 VZ-B V-SPEC AL is a very high RPM mill.....those "R's" are what you will need.
SPECS: Practical RPM: 3,000-40,000
Output: 2.5ps @ 34,000 RPM

Last edited:
smaller mills turn more RPMs....you ARE going to loose the bottom end of your power band to break 100mph w/ gear ratio......and I really don't see the jato being the best platform....look into the Schumacher truck (menace I think) or their TC (fusion?)...it comes with a 3-speed tranny right out of the box....

let me know i have a 3.3 that i have clocked at 68 mph i am interested
and that is pretty scary and has to be very flat like a school parking lot
on the street its all over the place

I would go with a touring car. Look into the Hpi Super Nitro. Can find them for fairly cheap and theres a whole magazine issue on how to break 100mph and list every part you need.

I actually found a video of the test. It shows you why downforce is need in the end..LOL.

[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6469db63-99e6-4759-989a-8232456e6ef6.htm"]http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6469db63-99e6-4759-989a-8232456e6ef6.htm[/ame]

Can't find the actual articles because the magazine is no longer around. I bet with some searching you can find it.

I would go with a touring car. Look into the Hpi Super Nitro. Can find them for fairly cheap and theres a whole magazine issue on how to break 100mph and list every part you need.

I actually found a video of the test. It shows you why downforce is need in the end..LOL.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6469db63-99e6-4759-989a-8232456e6ef6.htm

Can't find the actual articles because the magazine is no longer around. I bet with some searching you can find it.

LOL, that car was fast. Sounded like a single speed, didn't hear it shift.

A 2 speed with a TALL second should be ok with a mill that revs to 40. We all know that and stock single speed car will run to 40-50mph. That should carry through to a tall second regardless of torque. Joey I'm a bit worried about a Picco. Dont they take a bit of tuning?
By the way I am taking ALL these suggestions on board, then we'll sit down and go through it.

The biggest thing really going for the Picco is it will fit with no real modifications to a 4-Tec I think. However it is a good engine I am not sure if it was made with the intent of warp speed. It was made for a T-Maxx...yes they can be a bit temperamental though you are correct.The OS will spool out some crazy RPMs but will take a bit of modding to fit....prob. custom mounts. I am still looking for a reliable high RPM mill that may work.

The biggest thing really going for the Picco is it will fit with no real modifications to a 4-Tec I think. However it is a good engine I am not sure if it was made with the intent of warp speed. It was made for a T-Maxx...yes they can be a bit temperamental though you are correct.The OS will spool out some crazy RPMs but will take a bit of modding to fit....prob. custom mounts. I am still looking for a reliable high RPM mill that may work.

Well joey. I bought a 4Tec. (thanks for the suggestion) Now let the fun begin. :yes:

Yes... and now the fun begins.....(Insert evil laugh) MR Ninja MR21 B01A 5 port Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug) has a claimed output of 43K RPM.....any one have any experience with these engines?

Last edited:
100mph Jato

Thanks guys. I will write ALL that down. I will need an engine possibly with more torque. I was thinking of slotting a 2 speed into it, so I can run first gear about where it is, then run a tall second. I thought a 2 speed would help hold the nose down but I agree downforce could be the drama. Deep pockets aren't the problem, but the knowledge is. I will be asking more questions on it later.
By the way breakages not really a problem, I will be happy if it only does it once.
I have a jato that I converted to 6s with a 2200kv motor. I have yet to run it with GPS but on my first time testing it under wide open throttle it did a standing back-flip. Jaco foam tires and upgraded everything made this truck into a beast. I have a bunch of wheel weights on the front shock tower and bumper. The electric conversion kit is from hot racing and just about everything available in carbon fiber is installed and I am running Mod 1 gears.

Back