100,000 Rocks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just added 100,000 wt to my center diff on my storm and I must say I was thoroughly impressed. Probably tonight or tomorrow I will add it to the center diff on my inferno. I also am going to add 50,000 to the rear of each and 30,000 to the front of each. My hat's off to Error for recomending them to me.

Just tryin to help out. Hat's off to my LHS hookup for clueing me in on it. Glad it worked out for ya EP. Rock on!

Originally posted by El Pirata
I just added 100,000 wt to my center diff on my storm and I must say I was thoroughly impressed. Probably tonight or tomorrow I will add it to the center diff on my inferno. I also am going to add 50,000 to the rear of each and 30,000 to the front of each. My hat's off to Error for recomending them to me.

El Pirata

Wouldnt you want the 30,000 in the rear and the 50,000 in the front. Just curious.
Just today I added 10,000 Rear, 50,000 Front and 100,000 Center to my Hyper 21. I havent had a chance to drive it yet though. I'm waiting for a clutch. What did you like about the 100,000?

I think you're right Harry. If I told ya wrong EP, my bad. It's been so long since I changed the oil I forget, But I'm pretty sure it's heavier in the front, thick in the middle, light in the rear.

Logic would tell me lighter in the front due to turning. The outside tire turns at a different speed than the inside tire more so in the front than the rear beacuse the rear is just following. I just got done adding the 50,000 to the rear and unless I stop the other tire from spinning both turn in the same direction. I'll add 30,000 to the front tomorrow. I still have to do the same to my inferno too.

Yea I'm curious too, what do you like about the heavier weight in the center?

How does it help? If it's much better how come everyone doesn't use it?

Thanks =)

I thought 3k-7k-1k was the standard? How does using 50k-100k-30k make the buggy drive/handle differently than the 3-7-1?

Originally posted by cbreaker
Yea I'm curious too, what do you like about the heavier weight in the center?

How does it help? If it's much better how come everyone doesn't use it?

Thanks =)
I am not one of the types that like dual brake rates. I actually would prefer a solid shaft instead of a center diff. Using 100,000 is almost like having a solid shaft but not quite.

Originally posted by GilBeQuick
I thought 3k-7k-1k was the standard? How does using 50k-100k-30k make the buggy drive/handle differently than the 3-7-1?
Think of is as positraction. It's almost like locking the diffs but not quite. I prefer having the power going about equally to the wheels or nearly so.

OK, I'm all confused now.... I bought the Kyosho #1000 & #5000 for the front & rear diffs. Is there a #10000 & #50000, or do other manufacturers just have there own numbering system where they add a zero? I hope I didn't buy the wrong stuff... How much of a pain is it to take apart the prebuilt Ofna spider diff that comes with my hyper 7 & change the fluid? Should I do this with a Brand new diff out of the box?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNB64&P=0

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNB65&P=0

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNB66&P=0

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNB67&P=0

I must say that both the 100k and 50k came out thicker than elmers school glue.

Originally posted by ImBroken
OK, I'm all confused now.... I bought the Kyosho #1000 & #5000 for the front & rear diffs. Is there a #10000 & #50000, or do other manufacturers just have there own numbering system where they add a zero? I hope I didn't buy the wrong stuff... How much of a pain is it to take apart the prebuilt Ofna spider diff that comes with my hyper 7 & change the fluid? Should I do this with a Brand new diff out of the box?
I have absolutely zero experience with ofna diffs however I have found every diff I have ever worked with exceptionally similar. Believe me they're not hard to disassemble and reassemble.

Well, that depends on how you choose to view your purchase. I am quite sure there's something around your house that could use that type of grease.

You should use a silicone based lube on your diff, but it's not necessarily the only thing to use.

Kyosho might use an in-house numbering system. The stuff that EP and I are using is silicone based, like shock oil, but really really thick. It's often refered to as diff lock oil, though it doesn't lock the diffs.

Has the kyosho stuff come in, and how thick is it? Like EP said, 100K is almost like mixed up (but not hardened) 30 minute epoxy.

I am not one of the types that like dual brake rates. I actually would prefer a solid shaft instead of a center diff. Using 100,000 is almost like having a solid shaft but not quite.

Ahh hah. Thanks =)

I saw someone say that you could try Silly Puddy =)

Not to spin ascew, but have any of you tried something simalar in an MT? Like a maxx for instance?

I've been useing synthetic bearing grease. The kind at autozone.

I just added 100,000 wt to my center diff on my storm and I must say I was thoroughly impressed. Probably tonight or tomorrow I will add it to the center diff on my inferno. I also am going to add 50,000 to the rear of each and 30,000 to the front of each.

Before you did this, what were you running in your diffs?
After, was it quicker? Handle differently?

i actually use 5-7-3 in my storm. I like being able to power through turns a little more and the extra power i get evenly to the wheels helps a lot.

Ok maybe this will help clear things up!

The numbering systems are different from different manufactures but its not as bad as it sounds..

Kyosho & GS silicone oils: 1,000 = Mugen & some others 10,000

" " 3,000 = " " 30,000

" " 5,000 = " " 50,000

" " 7,000 = " " 70,000

" " 10,000 = " " 100,000

Steve

Originally posted by Error401
Kyosho might use an in-house numbering system. The stuff that EP and I are using is silicone based, like shock oil, but really really thick. It's often refered to as diff lock oil, though it doesn't lock the diffs.

Has the kyosho stuff come in, and how thick is it? Like EP said, 100K is almost like mixed up (but not hardened) 30 minute epoxy.

Hey Error... The Kyosho diff grease that I got from Tower is basically the consistency of shampoo or a tad thicker. But, it doesn't pour out, it's more like a jelly... I ordered some of the Silicone diff oils instead , as recommended by El Pirata.

Back