1/8 scale buggies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FantomMaxx22

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
which ones do you recomend i'm thinking about the ofna gt lx and the onfa mbx

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT get a ofna. think about getting a gs storm or storm pro. prefferrably the storm pro. i have 2 storm pro's and i never had anything break on them. they're great 4 bashing and even better for racing.

I run an Ofna buggy and yes its a cheap one the ultra mbx. I beat the daylights out of it and it runs just fine. I have yet to breat a part.

I owned an ofna buggy and it was a POS. I definitely would not reccomment the gt lx or mbx r2 series, but the 9.5 and hyper 7 buggies seem to be much better. If you want a great buggy, get the mugen mbx-4 xr works. I have this buggy and it was pricey, but well worth it. The kanai is also a great buggy, but in my opinion it is not worth 675 for the kit. My mugen came w/ more options for 550. Either way, kyosho or mugen, you can't go wrong.

well, today i beat this guy at the hobby shop with my 04 ultra lx pro w/.26 ofna force and all he said was that he was that, the ofna 1/8 buggies have come long ways and the new ofnas are just as good as any other 1/8 buggies,all they need is a few mods(ultra LX & MBX) and you will be ok @ the track

by the way he was driving the new GS Storm and hes dad is the owner of the hobby shop.

*not bad for an ofna ultra lx w/.26 force*

get a Radio Shack "Golden Arrow".. that was my very first 1/8th buggy in the late 80's.. haha...

Last edited:
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with buying an OFNA buggy. Just depends on what you want to do with it. If all your going to do is to bash around a bit and to have fun with it then any of the Ofna buggies will be fine. But I would try to go with the Hyper 7 or the 9.5 as they seem to be made of some better quality parts. Exactly what the difference between the two I have no idea.

If you think that you will someday race and want to race with the first buggy you buy, then I would suggest a better quality machine with much higher standards. Something along the lines of a Storm, Inferno 7.5 (not the Sports not the Kanai) Hyper 7 PBS. If you like to spend money and have it to spare then go with a Kyosho Kanai II, Thunder Tiger EB4, or Mugen MBX5. These will all easily set you back over $1000 for a full race setup before they even see the first bit of dirt on them.

is it worth to spend a few xtra $ to get the ultra lx on the track?, i just got the new ofna 04 catalog and i also called ofna and they are saying that will have more racing quality parts available for MBX and the LX this year and should be able to keep up with some of the other buggies.

ya as a previous owner of a ofna mbx pro - its big POS, parts are weak.. Hyper 7 (pro) seems much better, even the 9.5 looks like a heavier duty buggy too

i went back to the hobby shop to get more gas and i told the owner the lots of people keep saying that ofna buggies are a POS
(lx & mbx), he said that the only problem with ofna buggies is that it is hard to get parts, he said that not many people like ofnas because everybody just keeps talking about the kyosho,Mugen and the new kid in the block the GS Storm then before i left he said that it is the driver and not the car.

*well, to me is like my 99 3.0 ford ranger xlt 4x4 offroad, it came with just 154hp from factory and now it has 212hp at the rear wheel, all it takes is a few good mods and it will be fine*

Last edited:
What About OFNA?

Comments: I was at your site reading some of the info. I saw the question from the guy about "MBX vs. Kyosho". I just want to remind people that OFNA is world class also and is not to be left out of the picture. I have an Ultra GT LX and it came with steel spur gear and many other nice features. I believe the OFNA GT LX, worlds and worlds 2 all are very high performers. If you're concerned about money and are not able to afford a Kyosho MP6 International, you can get OFNA at great prices for features.

Response: You are absolutely right. The OFNA car is an excellent one and it comes with many good, standard hopups that both the Kyosho and Mugen do not come with. It is however, in my opinion, not in the same class as the Kyosho or Mugen. The OFNA car has not placed in the top 10 at any of the major races in the last few years (from what I have seen). This could be attributed to the fact that they do not have team drivers but this brings me to my next point. Kyosho and Mugen have an extensive race team that does testing and upgrading. Both companies then use the knowledge that the team drivers have gained to make an ever better car (Just look at the Burns, Turbo Burns, Inferno, Turbo Inferno, MP-5, MP-6, and the International MP-6). This is the kind of factory support that makes the major manufacturers top contenders, they are constantly trying to go faster.

It seems as though the other manufacturers such as OFNA, just design and build a car from drawings while Kyosho and Mugen do extensive testing and then retesting. Don't get me wrong on this entire message, I think an OFNA car could win at any race, big or small if it were piloted by an outstanding driver but when it comes down to the crunch, it is not an equivalent machine as the MP-6 or MBX. I would recommend the OFNA car to anyone who is looking to get into the 1/8 scale racing class until they are so fast that Richard Saxton has to worry. Most people never realize the full potential of their car anyway.

If I remember correctly, the answer that you are referring to was specifically about the MP-6 and MBX so I was not disregarding the OFNA car, it just wasn't the question in point. In any case, I appreciate the inquiry, this will give me another good comment to post on the web.

Let's take off a few tenths per lap,

"PRO"
Pro Racer Secrets

Ask 10 people, get ten different answers.

Originally posted by TRDStreetFighter
get a Radio Shack "Golden Arrow".. that was my very first 1/8th buggy in the late 80's.. haha...
YOU TOO! I STILL HAVE IT,ITS IN PIECES AND HAS A BROKEN CHASSIE BUT I STILL HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

I think mx125's post sums it up quite nicely and can be applied to almost any buggy. Of course, he's talking about the more expensive rigs, but it rings true in the hobby-driver's arena as well. Besides the obvious duds, most buggies are very very similar.

Back