1/8 or 1/10 Truggy? - Starting out in the hobby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amoeba

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Aside from size and costs (and big block vs small), are there any major differences between 1/8 and 1/10 scale for growing with the hobby?

Here's the deal: I'm starting out in the hobby so think "newbie" but no stranger to mechanics or electronics. My noobness is the driving part :)

I'm trying to decide on what Truggy to pick up but also figuring out what scale I'll stick with for the most part. I'm looking to pick up a chassis that will grow with me. I'm initially planning on bashing around but would like to leave open the possibility of racing in the future. Since I know jack about the track side of things at this stage, I have no clue if a 1/10 or 1/8 would be a better choice or allow more flexibility going forward.

Any recommendations out there?

If you eventually plan on racing, the stadium/truggy and 1/8 scale buggy are probably the top classes at a track.......overall. That doesn't mean you won't find a bunch of 1/10 monster trucks running, but from what I've read in magazines and on-line, the most popular racing class is the 1/8 buggy.

If you eventually plan on racing, the stadium/truggy and 1/8 scale buggy are probably the top classes at a track.......overall. That doesn't mean you won't find a bunch of 1/10 monster trucks running, but from what I've read in magazines and on-line, the most popular racing class is the 1/8 buggy.

Hrm.. So something along the lines of a Redcat Monsoon XP might be an inexpensive 1/8 to go with starting out... Thanks for the response.

That said, does it matter if I mix n' match scales? 1/8 here, a 1/10 over on that shelf... hell maybe even a mini for the kids...it's not tools I'm worried about so much as radio gear and the more expensive stuff that can add up if you need to buy for each scale.

I have a Revo (1/10) and an LST1 (1/8) I like them both, for different reasons. I'll eventually have a crawler and possibly a mini too. There are radio systems that can control up to 50 different RCs......all you have to buy is a receiver for each one and the same transmitter can work with them all. Granted, those radios are usually a pretty sizeable (IMO) investment up front, but can save a lot of headaches later on.

I run a X1-CRT Truggy and love it. If you like the truggy platform check out the SC8 CORR Truck. It is a converted truggy by Associated. I have some pics up of mine in the Corr Section.

I have tried all the ofna truggies and really like them. The X2-CRT is my favorite along with the new RC8T By Associated. But if you are looking for used and not expensive look around for an Ofna X1-CRT or Ofna Mutilator. Both great and I got both of mine for less than $150.

I'm a huge fan of the 8th scale buggies. However, if you're wanting something to bash now, race later, you can't go wrong with a Revo. You can pick one up fairly cheap in used condition, if you know where to look.

Back