1/8 Nitro truck problem. Please help.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver9080

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to nitro rc i have had my nitro rc cars for a while, I "borrowed" them from my dad. I have used them for a for some time but i still have a lot to learn.
Well lets get to the point. I was driving my 1/8 nitro truck and my engine fell out even after using thread lock.
I re-applied the thread lock but i added more this time. But when i went to start the car i noticed that the wheels are locked and wont move and that the pull start is stiff. It isn't flooded as i checked but it wont start and is very stiff.
Help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Oliver

@oliver9080,
Start by eliminating possible problems. Pull the engine back out, and check:
Does the clutch bell spin freely?
Pull the glow plug out, can you rotate the flywheel? Does the piston move?
Can you now pull the starter?
Check the vehicle, does it now roll?

Some pictures would be useful, however you can try taking the engine back out and seeing whether wheels spin freely. Check for four wheel drive (spin one, see if all others follow) then check differentials, and clutch. :)

First of all, could you explain that a little better? Did it actually fall out of the car onto the ground while you were running it?
Chances are it would of been held in by the exhaust and fuel lines, however sometimes these things happen.

The point is, how can an engine COMPLETELY come loose from its mount without having an indication that there's a serious problem.
It only has to come a little loose before the CB and the spur will start chattering and the throttle will be erratic.

The point is, how can an engine COMPLETELY come loose from its mount without having an indication that there's a serious problem.
It only has to come a little loose before the CB and the spur will start chattering and the throttle will be erratic.
Agreed. Before it can even come close to falling out, all control will have been lost as well as drive, meaning that the vehicle would be completely still or the engine would of cut out.

Oliver,
Start by eliminating possible problems. Pull the engine back out, and check:
Does the clutch bell spin freely?
Pull the glow plug out, can you rotate the flywheel? Does the piston move?
Can you now pull the starter?
Check the vehicle, does it now roll?
I did what you said I took the engine out and the wheels moved freely and so did the clutch bell. I then put it back in end everything was fine! Thanks!

First of all, could you explain that a little better? Did it actually fall out of the car onto the ground while you were running it?
It came loose I should have explained better... :p

I'd say you have some issues with worn threads in the engine mount. Loctite won't lock tight immediately. If you left it overnight, it MIGHT have stayed.

Last edited:
I did what you said I took the engine out and the wheels moved freely and so did the clutch bell. I then put it back in end everything was fine! Thanks!

It came loose I should have explained better... :p
Chances are the spur and clutch bell gear had become misaligned, follow rolex's loctite advice next time :)