1/5 scale shocks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whipnet

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Shoved some Baja 5B shocks on the front of the Savage. Using FLM towers top slot, and the bottom slot of the flextek arms, I was able to get full travel out of them.

Waiting on the Integy rear hub carriers to eliminate the rear turnbuckles so I can put them on the back.

They handle incredibly from what I have tested so far. They'll have their true test tomorrow at the BMX track.

5b.full.travel2.jpg

5b.full.travel.jpg

5b.full.travel3.jpg

5b.full.travel4.jpg

I like the set up. Let us know how the shocks work out. Pics, Vid?

Those are humongous! Are they the fronts or the rears from the Baja?

That is very sweet. I just put some lst2 shocks on my xl. Hey, what or where did you get those lower arms at?

Oops, flextek.

Do you know how baja shocks go together? The shock end is molded on the shock shaft... which really sucks, especially considering how yours are mounted. The first thing you smack into is going to hit that shock end.

I had no idea either, but I was reading some baja posts about guys being annoyed over how the shock ends are molded on the ends of the shafts. I couldn't believe HPI did that!

All that said... BAD ASS!!! I like it a lot better than the LST* shocks. Less bulky.

Finally got around to doing the back.

I had to replace the turnbuckles and knuckles with the Integy rear hub carriers so these 20mm shocks would physically fit.

complete-1-hubcarriers.jpg

I took a couple of shots with a few of my bodies to give an idea of the bulk of these.

complete-2.jpg

complete-3.jpg

complete-4.jpg

complete-jeep.jpg

complete-pimp.jpg

complete-robber.jpg

How does it drive? Plush or stiff?

The 4 5B shocks are actually smoother than it was with the 8 - MSR8 big bores.

It's drives like a dream and I can jump it as high as I want.

Nice Savage man, i like this set-up with the 5B shocks on it. Love the Grave Robber lid on it...BAD ASS!!:first_place:

Very nice work but it looks a bit stiff. You are almost at fulll extension on the A-arms. Do they make a softer spring?

Very nice work but it looks a bit stiff. You are almost at fulll extension on the A-arms. Do they make a softer spring?

Thanks Scrogg. The shocks themselves have 5 settings from stiff to soft. They are on the softest setting. As mentioned above, they are very smooth. Much smoother then when I had the 8 MSR8's on there. I can drop it from 6ft and just get a "swoosh". No bottoming out and no bounce.

I am impressed.

come on now. midtank that bad boy

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. As far as the mid tanks goes... I might do that, but not to solve my half tank lean, I was able fix that by extending my fuel lines.

did you brake them yet :hehe:

Huh? Do you mean break them? And do you mean the shocks? If so the answer is no way. Not even a bend, and I have had plenty of 1 wheel landings and cartwheels.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. As far as the mid tanks goes... I might do that, but not to solve my half tank lean, I was able fix that by extending my fuel lines.

Huh? Do you mean break them? And do you mean the shocks? If so the answer is no way. Not even a bend, and I have had plenty of 1 wheel landings and cartwheels.

that's what I mean...
how heavy are they?

that's what I mean...
how heavy are they?

That's a good question man. I need to weigh these things. 4 of these are lighter than the 8 MRS8's I replaced them with, but I would say they are a little more heavy than the stock 8.

Back