1/18 Indoor Ramp

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I got a few large boxes from some recent baby merchandise purchases layin around so I got the idea of building an indoor jump for my minis out of cardboard.

So far the ramp template is 14 inches deep and 6 inches high with a lip angle of about 50 degrees or so (just eyeballin that). Whataya guys think?

IMG_1505.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure that will work pretty damn good. Just make sure there's plenty of support. The curve looks good and the lip's not too steep. A lot better than the jump that came with the Mini-T.

How wide do you guys think I should make it? I'm thinking somewhere in the 15"-18" range...

ok, n/m... I'm gonna make it 16" wide with five vertical supports at 4in. intervals. the mini's are about 7" wide so the tires will run within 2" of a support no matter how I hit the jump.

Last edited:
Got the 5 support "ribs" done. The cardboard is just standard weight stuff so everything is going to be doubled up and Super 77'd. I'm a little concerned that it may tip forward when the truck is coming off the top though... any input on that??

IMG_1507.jpg

On the inside of the ramp on the front add a lower shelf type thing where it will be able to hold some sort of weights.

eh, excuse my poor photoshop sk1llz, here's what i'm thinking of

crap_photoshop_weights.gif

eNforcer said:
On the inside of the ramp on the front add a lower shelf type thing where it will be able to hold some sort of weights.

eh, excuse my poor photoshop sk1llz, here's what i'm thinking of

crap_photoshop_weights.gif

yeah, I was thinking something like that too. But I think I'm going to add a forward section that would keep it from tipping. I would definately need to make a back (middle) vertical lateral piece to keep everything from folding to the sides. I want it to be durable enough that I can take it at good speed even thoug it's only cardboard. Hopefully, it will be worth the effort.

Double your work. make it a 2-way ramp. The downside is it will be twice as long. The upside is that you won't have to keep driving in a circle to jump. You can just go back and forth.

Candyman said:
Double your work. make it a 2-way ramp. The downside is it will be twice as long. The upside is that you won't have to keep driving in a circle to jump. You can just go back and forth.

AHA! Genius!

OK, I'm working on the other five pieces now and I have another idea... I'm going to chop an inch off the top and round it out so it's more like a real dirt jump. I think this will help flight as well because it will make the rebound action progressive as the wheels leave the lip instead of being so abrupt. It'll give me a bit more distance instead of so much height which I've been concerned with as well.

more pics to come!

Last edited:
very nice...
here's a weird question for u. which baby boxes did u use? diaper, stroller, etc?? i have a garage full of boxes since my second came 8 weeks back.

2 new car seat boxes. He hit his 20lbs mark so it's time to get out of the carrier style seat. Although, I wasn't concerned with getting as many parts out of a given amount of cardboard I couldn't make this with only 1 box. So far I've used 5 sides and I havn't cut the ramp surface yet.. that'll take 2 more sides. Almost 2 carseat boxes total. It's coming together quite nicely. Should be VERY sturdy. Ran out of hot glue earlier but I"m gettin back to it now. I'll try to post a topless pic in a little while.

Ok, this is near complete. Obviously, I need to cut and install the surface. I'm also going to spray the ramp surface and bottom with Plasti-Dip for better traction and to keep the whole thing from sliding around.

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

Good looking ramp. I think you have motivated me to make one soon since I won't be running outdoors for much longer. Looks nice and sturdy.

yeah, it's pretty strong actually. pretty nice considering it's just cardboard. Attaching the top is going to be a little tricky though. I was concerned that because there is so much support for the surface to be glued to that the hot glue bead would cool too much by the time I got everything covered. I can't really do a little bit at a time either because the carboard just isn't flexible enough without creasing. I picked up some "Fabric" hot glue, which is supposed to "dry" (cool, harden, whatever) slower so that repositioning is possible. But that still leaves the issue of the curves. I think I'm going to wait to do the top untill I can find a nice large piece of cardboard at work so it can be one solid piece. I'm going to attempt to moisten it some and form fit it over the structure so it dries smooth, curved, and creaseless. Then I'll glue it down. Seems like a lot of work I know, but I want it to look nice and last too.

have u thought about using poster board as the surface? that should be flexible enough for you to get the curve to match the supports.

yes, it definately would be flexible enough and much easier to attach. kinda flimsy though.

:clap: Great job, great looking ramp, makes me want a mini just so I have a reason to build one...Maybe I should build on that way I have a reason to buy a mini :ponder2:

You can use liquid wood glue to hold the top, it takes a while to dry so you can get a good fit and it's very strong.

When you put the top on pay attention which way the ribs run in the cardboard, make them roll across the top and it will be less likely to crease.

Get Video!

thanks for the compliments!

SMaxxin said:
When you put the top on pay attention which way the ribs run in the cardboard, make them roll across the top and it will be less likely to crease.

Get Video!

Exactly what I was thinking!

I don't have a vidcam. :shrug: sorry guys

Back