1:1 car tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I need to buy a set of tires on my wifes car, I'm looking for a touring type tire. I want something that will last and wear evenly, we don't drive in snow or ice.

What tire would you suggest?

I'm on my second set of Firehawk Indy 500 tires by Firestone. These have been on the car for 6 years now. I've only had them rotated once. All 4 have been wearing evenly and they still have a good amount of life in them. Unless you're going for radials, I don't think there's a better tire anywhere.
I'm about to replace them since tires start to go dry after 5 or 6 years.
They are also listed as "sticky" since there is additional silicone in the rubber compound.
Comfortable ride and instant sport response.

You better watch out for these surprise snow storms we get here. Lol.

We run some cheaper Yokohama avids on my wife's car. They have a 60,000 or 80,000 mile (can't remember) "warranty", and are smooth as glass.

I have Kelly Challengers on my Mini van and they are quiet and can take a beating about a month ago my wife smashed a curb hard and the tire was fine.

I'm on my second set of Firehawk Indy 500 tires by Firestone. These have been on the car for 6 years now. I've only had them rotated once. All 4 have been wearing evenly and they still have a good amount of life in them. Unless you're going for radials, I don't think there's a better tire anywhere.
I'm about to replace them since tires start to go dry after 5 or 6 years.
They are also listed as "sticky" since there is additional silicone in the rubber compound.
Comfortable ride and instant sport response.

Got a pair on the back of my S-10 275/60-15's

Last edited:
Michelin has long been known as a long wearing tire. 50-60,000 miles is not unheard of with them. Used them on a Suburban and still had a lot of mileage left on them when we sold it.

I wouldn't have anything else. I have a 5.0 Bird with the Mustang GT engine, Cobra cam, sport suspension and rack and pinion. When I bought it 12 years ago I regretted it because the slightest twitch on the steering had a major effect on its line of travel. Then I got caught in 2 situations in unfamiliar territory that I could never have gotten out of without going into a slide, and that really got my attention. It was those tires that got me through. I didn't even hear a squeal.
I always drove land yachts before that so I wasn't used to the sport handling. Now I couldn't be without it.

I have these on my car http://www.larrysautocapecoral.com/data/images1/falken-tire-ziex-ze-512.jpg they work great for rain weather because of that large gab in the center of the tire.... helps sort of cut through rain so you dont hydroplane as much. Pretty cheap too... i think for 2 rear tires for my car it was 150 but thats because my rear tires are over 10 inches wide. but if your on a car with thin wheels it shouldnt be much.

Falken tires are awesome.. after trying these tires on my car I'm sticking with falken.

Yoko Avid Envigors are nice. Almost got them for the Mustang this go around. Instead I opted for the Falken ZE 912 sport touring type tire. 40K treadwear for me (45 series tires) and up to 65K warranty on 60 or 65 series and higher.

I was sick of summer tires/high traction tires wearing out in 15K miles. The Falkens ride great (17-inch wheels)...

HTH...
Mark

This must be the worst tire on the market. You KNOW it's gonna' suck. It's a Kumho. :whhooo:

ku_ecsta_v710_ci2_l.jpg

I beg to differ Rolex. The Kumho V700 (shown) is an excellent track tire. Those and the Victoracers are both well respected on the track. I've also had Kumho Ecsta's on the Mustang and they wore nicely and had decent (not great) traction...

Mark

Thanks for all of the input, I'll have to shop around and see if I can find any of those in the right size.

You KNOW it's gonna' suck. It's a Kumho. :whhooo:

If I didn't have a wife to answer to I would definitely buy four of those Kumho's!