1:1 car tail lights.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobydoo2u

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Long time no see, but I'm back to ask a question! I recently finished my Vw super beetle project, but the brightness of the tail lights are unacceptable. your always in fear of being rear ended because you can not see the tail or signal lights in the daytime. I know there some car guys here so i thought I would ask what I should do. I plan on installing a 3rd brake light in the rear window, but the tail lights still need to be fixed. Oh, and I've looked at led bulbs and the comparison videos make leds look horrible in daylight
Here is an old pic of the lights(Lights off), I understand they are small, but you should still be able to see them
102_8087.jpg

The full LED tail lights that I've seen are actually brighter than the incandescent lamps as well as activating faster. The other advantage is that they will last the life of the car.

Also something to think about is a strobe relay. v-leds.com offers them...you can see some videos on youtube on them....

One of the main problems I've seen with LED tail lights is the fact that they create a "Hotspot" of bright light in the middle of the lens, but with these being so small the hot spot would be as big at the whole light any ways.

As for the brightness, I've never seen leds taillights in person that I'm aware of, but on videos they are usually noticeably dimmer. maybe they bought the cheapos?

One of the main problems I've seen with LED tail lights is the fact that they create a "Hotspot" of bright light in the middle of the lens, but with these being so small the hot spot would be as big at the whole light any ways.

As for the brightness, I've never seen leds taillights in person that I'm aware of, but on videos they are usually noticeably dimmer. maybe they bought the cheapos?

have you ever seen an infinity 1:1? All thier cars use LED tails. a lot of semis and busses use them too. also mazdas

I've seen plenty of infinity cars, but I guess I never paid attention to the tail lights.

You'll see a bunch of small bulbs rather than one opaque cover.
That would require changing the cover on the light and using red leds correct?

The idea of using Cree LEDs has crossed my mind, but I don't know whats required to wire them to 12v

Last edited:
Stop by an auto store or truck stop and check out the truck lights available. They are a direct hook up to your current 12V leads.

Harbor Freight also has LED trailer light kits that hook up to your light pigtail as well.

Sounds more like an issue to me. From the sounds of it, i have my doubts that the issue lays only in the bulb. I could be wrong, considering the bulbs you have now could be old and well used. How are the wires? If some of the system is old, you may want to replace more than just the bulbs for good results, and from the looks of the picture, i would say your in it enough to do just that! I am curious, you say it is not just the break lights but the turn signals as well, how are the turn signals in the front? I would be looking to see if it is all lights, or just rear, something could be grounding out causing them to not get the juice they would like, a system in my opinion that may be better off to just replace the most of it..:)

I have a relative, that built a buggy like yours, and has brought it to car shows for years and have even gotten trophy's, i am going to ask them what they think, and i will pass on the advice! :)

Sounds more like an issue to me. From the sounds of it, i have my doubts that the issue lays only in the bulb. I could be wrong, considering the bulbs you have now could be old and well used. How are the wires? If some of the system is old, you may want to replace more than just the bulbs for good results, and from the looks of the picture, i would say your in it enough to do just that! I am curious, you say it is not just the break lights but the turn signals as well, how are the turn signals in the front? I would be looking to see if it is all lights, or just rear, something could be grounding out causing them to not get the juice they would like, a system in my opinion that may be better off to just replace the most of it..:)

I have a relative, that built a buggy like yours, and has brought it to car shows for years and have even gotten trophy's, i am going to ask them what they think, and i will pass on the advice! :)

The wiring is great from what I see. I've been under, around, and in this car ALOT the past few months and I've never noticed any issues, so I don't think the problem lies there. Although I Did have a problem a few months back causing very dim and unreliable lights, but I traced the problem back to the ground. the light grounds through the connection to the body and it was a little too dirty to ground out. I have considered wiring in a jumper from all the lights to a screw in the body for a even better ground. The lights are bright at night, but are not noticeable during the day. Oh and the front turn signals are about the same I would say, but they are amber lights, so it appears a little brighter.

Last edited:
I would watch them grounds! That can cause some of the weirdest issues in a car from my experience, something is not grounded right and you have problems, weather it is the alternator, stereo, lights, and i once had the heater core in a jeep ketch fire! Thats where i would start, that is probably after experimenting with new bulbs, the LED in my opinion are wild, i have seen them and i do understand where some do not like them and some do. When it comes to their performance night, it is not just the brightness people like, but you can see right on the packages they cover more of an area, like off the road to both sides very much wider sight with them. I don't know about them and day time notta clue, after you say this though, "Although I Did have a problem a few months back causing very dim and unreliable lights" and then traced it to a bad ground.....I will put my money there, that is, if new bulbs did not work, when it comes to which ones to get, i would think if yours were bad, you would not have to get LED's to find that out, getting the same bulbs you have and trying them should tell you if the bulbs you have are bad.....

I would watch them grounds! That can cause some of the weirdest issues in a car from my experience, something is not grounded right and you have problems, weather it is the alternator, stereo, lights, and i once had the heater core in a jeep ketch fire! Thats where i would start, that is probably after experimenting with new bulbs, the LED in my opinion are wild, i have seen them and i do understand where some do not like them and some do. When it comes to their performance night, it is not just the brightness people like, but you can see right on the packages they cover more of an area, like off the road to both sides very much wider sight with them. I don't know about them and day time notta clue, after you say this though, "Although I Did have a problem a few months back causing very dim and unreliable lights" and then traced it to a bad ground.....I will put my money there, that is, if new bulbs did not work, when it comes to which ones to get, i would think if yours were bad, you would not have to get LED's to find that out, getting the same bulbs you have and trying them should tell you if the bulbs you have are bad.....

I think new bulbs and a 3rd brake light is where I'm gonna start. I'll try to make my way to autozone tomorrow to grab some new bulbs and I'll be back to tell how it goes!

Yep! I would start there best way to go and cancel out problems it could be. Do you have a Haynes manual for that buggy?? Every car I've owned made sure to get that book on the specific car, has complete wire diagrams of the entire car! A good book to have. :)

I actually don't have a book for it, I've been going by http://www.vw-resource.com/ to find any info I need. I do have one for my 89k5, but not for a VW.:)

Last edited:
I've pulled transmissions and engines with that book, definitely one of the best, Haynes dis-assembles a car, documents it all, and re-assembles it, documents it of course, down to the pistons, drive train inside the transmission, wiring, anything on the car! I would promote them any day really the best! :)

Back