Battery Level Indicator for HPI Savage X

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
HPI Racing's battery level indicator will give you instant information as to your HPI Savage X battery status. Once installed, simply turn your receiver battery on and the indicator will show you the power level of your receiver battery. The HPI Savage X battery level indicator should only be used with hump back battery packs. Adding the hump back battery pack (#2012 ) to your Savage X also increases steering performance. Foam Tape 25x60mm(#87022 ) is also recommended to support the battery...

[ READ MORE ]

Yes but what is the Part Number for the Battery Indicator. I have a VoltWatch but the tape is constantly comming off.

Sorry about that, part # and MSRP has been added to the article!

-Michael

is this thing always on? Or does it come on and goes to sleep saving power?

Yes as soon as you turn on the receiver battery the indicator comes on. You could just unplug it if you didn't want it always on, though the indicator would pull so little juice you wouldn't even notice a difference in battery life.

-Michael

Cool. I might make one with an SMT MCU and touch sensor to wake up...be a useful little gadget!

RC_Voltmeter_brd(top).jpg

On that note, made this. (more info ..)

Planning to have it display for 30secs at power on, and go to sleep, drawing 0.6-5uA tops. The HPI unit will have some impact on bat life...

I'm not saying the HPI unit wouldn't have an impact, just saying it's not going to be a huge impact - nothing that's gonna kill your batteries in a few hours.

As for your design, very awesome and I hope you do make it - I'd love to see it in action. :D

-Michael

WoodiE, very true!. It's just that I can get these PCBs fairly cheap, sell a few off to fellow RC fans and I have all the parts in excess here (think I have 1x 16f88 SOIC) so I can easily make one for myself for under $30 ^^

Downside with the cheap board price, is that it could take time but I'll post back with pics once I get it sorted :) Hoping to throw one in my buggy as well...

Last edited:
Can this be used on a Savage 25 with the stock battery cover?

Yup Powerman, seeing that I have a savage 25, it shouldn't be a problem to fit.

Woodie, just to double check, what's the normal full charge voltage on a receiver bat? Most people use 5cell hump packs, that *should* give a nominal output of 6vdc but at full charge my 1600mAh unit reaches 7.9-8v!

L.e.d.'s

Think i'll get one for my Mammoth ST. Lights are cool.

I've received the PCBs, will solder one up when time permits and post back :)

post pics man. I want to see which is better!