Thoughts on Available Nitro Fuel Choices

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMH

RCTalk Basher
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello Friends and Happy New Years Eve!

Hoping to gather some feed back on the following fuel choices that are currently available for purchase. I have only used Traxxas 20% Top Fuel and do not have experience with any other brands. Right now one hobby store in my area has that in quarts and it comes out to $19.58 with tax which is pricey. The shop has changed a lot over the years and really push electric RC options and have gotten away from Nitro supplies. So, as of this past Saturday, that is their only fuel option.

Another hobby shop which is more RC focused, currently has VP Racing fuel for $42.00 plus tax per gallon for the 20% Nitro. Unfortunately they do not have it in quarts, otherwise I would have bought one to test out.

Another option is buying Morgan Fuel (Sidewinder) fuels from something like Amainhobbies.com in quarts. They have race blend, competition race blend, and basher 20% Nitro formulas.

Would really appreciate any feedback you can share on the VP / Sidewinder fuel options. Bonus points if you can share your input on how it works out with TRX motors. I currently have the TRX 2.5 and will swap it for the TRX 3.3 once it loses compression.

Thank You!

Buying fuel by the quart is a big rip of as you have found out. Traxxas fuel is 14% oil lube. Stay away from race blends as they have less oil lube 9-12%. Morgan fuel is Ok just find blend with 14-18% oil lube. More nitro is going to cost more. I only run 15% with 18% oil lube and it's fine at $28 a gallon or $96 a case. Morgan Fuel Cool Power 15% Nitro Airplane Fuel (One Gallon) [COOCP15(1)] | Airplanes - HobbyTown Don't let people tell you to buy car fuel It's crap for backward bashing. All I run is air fuel for the past 30 yrs.

Buying fuel by the quart is a big rip of as you have found out. Traxxas fuel is 14% oil lube. Stay away from race blends as they have less oil lube 9-12%. Morgan fuel is Ok just find blend with 14-18% oil lube. More nitro is going to cost more. I only run 15% with 18% oil lube and it's fine at $28 a gallon or $96 a case. Morgan Fuel Cool Power 15% Nitro Airplane Fuel (One Gallon) [COOCP15(1)] | Airplanes - HobbyTown Don't let people tell you to buy car fuel It's crap for backward bashing. All I run is air fuel for the past 30 yrs.

Very interesting - just learned something new. I will definitely check this option out regarding the air fuels. Appreciate your feedback regarding the oil percentage content.

I usually buy 4 cases every 2-3 yrs. Due to rising cost and the pandemic I was going to buy the materials and make fuel myself. The biggest thing with ordering fuel in cases is the stupid hazmat charges per case!!!!! $36 per case extra. I have avoided it for years until the last 4 as my local shop couldn't get the brand fuel I was using anymore as the demand was low. I tried another store and found out the brand (Wildcat) was discontinued( bought out by BYRON) JUNk fuel. So The new place I ordered from S&W now charges hazmat and I said NO way. SO I'm back to Morgan again. Sig was good fuel to. I just can't get local. IF the store sells gallons then they should sell cases???? with No hazmat charge??? I have to drive 1hr away to get fuel now???

Yea that Hazmat charge is a real killer. I did mock orders of four or six gallons and having an extra $75 added on top of a $30 shipping charge is a bit much. If I can find something at a brick and mortar shop I will ask about getting a deal if purchasing multiple gallons. Could not hurt to ask. Oddly, if you select the fuel in the quart sizes, there is no hazmat charge...

YEs 100% It's added in to the cost. That's what I always did to avoid the Stupid charge. People just don't get it. You go to the store and all you see is quarts. They say you don't have to pay the hazmat charge and it's cheaper. O-no it isnt 4 quarts @ $20 =$80 1 gallon = $50 . The store makes more money selling quarts than gallons because people can't do the math. Fuel shipped is fuel shipped same amount But they charge because it's in a gallon jug????? It's still cheaper with the hazmat buying fuel by the gallon if shipped.

Last edited:
Hello Friends and Happy New Years Eve!

Hoping to gather some feed back on the following fuel choices that are currently available for purchase. I have only used Traxxas 20% Top Fuel and do not have experience with any other brands. Right now one hobby store in my area has that in quarts and it comes out to $19.58 with tax which is pricey. The shop has changed a lot over the years and really push electric RC options and have gotten away from Nitro supplies. So, as of this past Saturday, that is their only fuel option.

Another hobby shop which is more RC focused, currently has VP Racing fuel for $42.00 plus tax per gallon for the 20% Nitro. Unfortunately they do not have it in quarts, otherwise I would have bought one to test out.

Another option is buying Morgan Fuel (Sidewinder) fuels from something like Amainhobbies.com in quarts. They have race blend, competition race blend, and basher 20% Nitro formulas.

Would really appreciate any feedback you can share on the VP / Sidewinder fuel options. Bonus points if you can share your input on how it works out with TRX motors. I currently have the TRX 2.5 and will swap it for the TRX 3.3 once it loses compression.

Thank You!

Decided to live on the edge and try Bones Motsports Bones Brew 30% nitro, 8% oil. Nitro and Methanol are sourced from VP, and Bones apparently uses a 50/50 blend of castor and synthetic oils.

Three gallons with shipping within lower 48 was $106.00 with the nice little spout you can put directly into their quart bottles.

I'm two quarts in on my humble TRX 3.3 engine with a McCoy MC8 Medium plug. Nice California weather approx 65 degrees and sunny. Moderate humidity. Noticed that I will have to run it a little richer (as with any "higher" nitro content) to keep it from going over 250º.

Tore down my TRX 3.3 this afternoon to check how I'm doing. It seems to run rather clean and leave sufficient lubrication due to a slightly richer/safe tune. Looks like if I stay on the after run and maintenance, the 30% Nitro/8% oil will be just fine.

Decided to live on the edge and try Bones Motsports Bones Brew 30% nitro, 8% oil. Nitro and Methanol are sourced from VP, and Bones apparently uses a 50/50 blend of castor and synthetic oils.

Three gallons with shipping within lower 48 was $106.00 with the nice little spout you can put directly into their quart bottles.

I'm two quarts in on my humble TRX 3.3 engine with a McCoy MC8 Medium plug. Nice California weather approx 65 degrees and sunny. Moderate humidity. Noticed that I will have to run it a little richer (as with any "higher" nitro content) to keep it from going over 250º.

Tore down my TRX 3.3 this afternoon to check how I'm doing. It seems to run rather clean and leave sufficient lubrication due to a slightly richer/safe tune. Looks like if I stay on the after run and maintenance, the 30% Nitro/8% oil will be just fine.

Hey JV - thank you for sharing and very interesting. Good to know and I am happy to hear it is working out for your, particularly in your TRX 3.3. Did you use a different fuel in the past on the same motor or is Bones Motsports the only one?

My TRX 3.3's tend to be my "beater" winter engines on my Revo and Slayer. In the warmer months, I tend to run my fancier engines.

Previously I was primarily running VP 30% nitro, 9% oil.

Not an expert by any means, but between the two, I can't really tell too much difference performance-wise.

Traxxas fuel is 14% oil lube and running less ruins you engine faster. traxxas only recommends there fuel for there engines . So you on you own .

I did come across the following web page: http://www.s-whobby.com/

Read some good things about this source and reached out. Supposedly they do a lot of the RC nitro fuel manufacturing for the east coast. They will make any blend of Nitro%/Oil% you want. For the 20% Nitro with 14% oil, it is $27 a gallon and the shipping would be about $13 to my address. If I order two gallons then the shipping total is about $15 for both gallons. I think I am going to try this out.

Monstertruckier15 - I am wary of going less than the 14% oil and agree with you here.

My TRX 3.3's tend to be my "beater" winter engines on my Revo and Slayer. In the warmer months, I tend to run my fancier engines.

Previously I was primarily running VP 30% nitro, 9% oil.

Not an expert by any means, but between the two, I can't really tell too much difference performance-wise.

Cool - seems like it is working for you just fine. Are you swapping out other motors on your Revo and Slayer when it is warmer out? I was reading on the VP fuels (not sure if it is all of their RC fuels) but they claim that after run maintenance is not required?

I did come across the following web page: http://www.s-whobby.com/

Read some good things about this source and reached out. Supposedly they do a lot of the RC nitro fuel manufacturing for the east coast. They will make any blend of Nitro%/Oil% you want. For the 20% Nitro with 14% oil, it is $27 a gallon and the shipping would be about $13 to my address. If I order two gallons then the shipping total is about $15 for both gallons. I think I am going to try this out.

Monstertruckier15 - I am wary of going less than the 14% oil and agree with you here.
Just get the Air fuel 18%. It runs fine. If Best to buy a case if the price for shipping is reasonable. For Me it's not anymore @ $10 per gallon more $166 for 4 cases.. He changed the shipping rates. I now have to buy local and switch to Morgan.

Last edited:
Just get the Air fuel 18%. It runs fine. If Best to buy a case if the price for shipping is reasonable. For Me it's not anymore @ $10 per gallon more $150 for 4 cases.. He changed the shipping rates. I now have to buy local and switch to Morgan.

Definitely looking at that option as well. The shipping for a case is only $28 (6 Gallons)

Cool - seems like it is working for you just fine. Are you swapping out other motors on your Revo and Slayer when it is warmer out? I was reading on the VP fuels (not sure if it is all of their RC fuels) but they claim that after run maintenance is not required?
When I used the VP products, I performed after run procedures and flushed my engines and carbs regularly.

My first run at nitro RC hobby resulted in an engine prematurely going bad due to lack of after-run care and regular engine flushes. When I opened that first engine, there was really bad carbon buildup on the piston. Furthermore, there was an obvious need to service the bearings

I will continue to do after run procedures and regular engine/carb flushes because I think it's a good idea and genuinely enjoy tinkering around.

I've learned (and like) that if you put in the effort with our nitro RC's before you run into a problem, you will be rewarded.

That problem will go away if you use fuel with castor oil. I don't bother checking my engines anymore. I know they are clean. The carbon build up is from low oil lube content and not running castor oil. I only check used engines I buy and that is the problem see. Tearing down a engine every season it not good. Over time you can strip threads and break screws loose parts. I don't tear them down until they don't run anymore. Or I buy a use engine and clean and check the condition. I get used engines that don't turn over and are stuck and this is from not enough oil lube and no castor. My engines sit on the shelf for years and years and I can start them right up.

Any discolor inside the engine is BAD! Running fuel with less than 14% oil lube will show discolor. But people just keep on doing it.

Last edited:
i disagree with much of the above, there is a big difference between air fuel and land fuel. it has to do with the composition of the synthetic vs castor oil content and blending and additives. These fuel companies have been making fuel for many many years, they know what they are doing, and have put a lot of time and money into R&D.
castor oil is used in air fuels, it is less effective and efficient at lubricating thus they add more, but it can lubricate better and wont burn off as much at constant full throttle seen in planes.
synthetic lubricates much more effective but at higher temperatures burns off a bit and looses effectiveness, so it is compensated by having a synthetic oil and castor oil mix in land fuels.
synthetic is a bit more expensive as a whole so it is going to cost slightly higher, using air oil you are getting less protection just to save maybe a few bucks on a gallon.

buying by quarts is a bit more expensive yes, but this goes to the basics of buying bulk vs regular. buy what you can think you can run in a period of time.
i really recommend staying around 12% oil or under. more oil is a leaner tuning window, remember that oil is lubricant, it is not fuel, it is not coolant, it is lubricant.

i disagree with much of the above, there is a big difference between air fuel and land fuel. it has to do with the composition of the synthetic vs castor oil content and blending and additives. These fuel companies have been making fuel for many many years, they know what they are doing, and have put a lot of time and money into R&D.
castor oil is used in air fuels, it is less effective and efficient at lubricating thus they add more, but it can lubricate better and wont burn off as much at constant full throttle seen in planes.
synthetic lubricates much more effective but at higher temperatures burns off a bit and looses effectiveness, so it is compensated by having a synthetic oil and castor oil mix in land fuels.
synthetic is a bit more expensive as a whole so it is going to cost slightly higher, using air oil you are getting less protection just to save maybe a few bucks on a gallon.

buying by quarts is a bit more expensive yes, but this goes to the basics of buying bulk vs regular. buy what you can think you can run in a period of time.
i really recommend staying around 12% oil or under. more oil is a leaner tuning window, remember that oil is lubricant, it is not fuel, it is not coolant, it is lubricant.

Hello D3MON - thank you for your reply and the breakdown on the oil properties. May I ask what fuel(s) you personally like to use? Brands/Nitro%/Oil Content

I agree with D3MON too, stay around 12% oil. Typically I use 20/14 for break in, then switch up to 25/12 for racing. Used Byron's for years, but they stopped making it, so once my batch runs out, probably switching to Bones Brew.

Stay away from Traxxas fuel, it's horrible. When I first got into nitro I was using it, couldn't believe how much better other brands where when I switched. And of course Traxxas is gonna recommend to "only use their fuel", lol.