I have to design a super fast with low kv motor and a nimh 8.v battery! help please!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakshya28

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hi guys, I'm new to this forum and this is my first thread please go easy on me.

So my university wants us to make a electric rc car which can do 100kmph but due to the budget and rule of using only a nimh battery i am not sure how to go with this
so far i have decided to go with a low kv motor 3300kv or 4000kv with a 60 amp esc and do a bigger pinion gear and smaller spur gear.
its a grass field where we will be racing, not yet decided to do 1/10 or 1/8. we have to design the chassis our self as well.

I'm new to this field and any help or advice would mean a lot

thanks a lot guys!

the 3300kv is not a low turn motor ...you do know the nimh will discharge very fast and it maybe new but if you charge it up and wait to run even if its for 3 minutes .its voltage will drop so final speed on grass track will not be as high as it was a fresh off the charger battery.... you should condition that battery b4 any use.....your gonna find that finding a larger that pinion gear wont happen.....so what trans are you going to use. I myself need that info b4 a 62mph speed or 100kph is reached..

hi guys, I'm new to this forum and this is my first thread please go easy on me.

So my university wants us to make a electric rc car which can do 100kmph but due to the budget and rule of using only a nimh battery i am not sure how to go with this
so far i have decided to go with a low kv motor 3300kv or 4000kv with a 60 amp esc and do a bigger pinion gear and smaller spur gear.
its a grass field where we will be racing, not yet decided to do 1/10 or 1/8. we have to design the chassis our self as well.

I'm new to this field and any help or advice would mean a lot

thanks a lot guys!

Ah... You're taking an engineering course. 2 years ago I helped my cousin, and his team, design an RC car that can go over just about any hard surface and it had to be durable. They insisted on building a car with 5-point suspension. I say "they", instead of "we", because I took my name off it because they didn't want to go with the straight axle. I helped design the steering system, gear box, and what electronics to use. They lost because their suspension broke while rock crawling. It was a race. The only cars that finished had straight axles. Imagine that!

Racing it on grass can make it really difficult. I would go with 1/8 scale truggy tires with an aggressive tire pattern on the rear, such as the Pro-line Badlands. Unless you are building a 4wd car, then you will need them on the front also. Due to it being on the grass, you will need a suspension system. Otherwise, your car will bounce and flip as soon as you hit 80-90kmph. Buy an old 1/8 scale car and use the suspension system from it. You can get a nitro or electric. If your allowed, you can use the gearbox from it also. You don't really need a high power steering servo because your only going straight. Therefore any standard size servo will work.

Good luck.

62 MPH on grass? Won't be easy.

Thant' what I'm saying. It won't be easy at all. Hopefully the grass is really short and there's no gopher holes and high standing sprinklers.

Post some pics when you have it built, we would like to see them...

Back