question about heat sinks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have an older brushless slash 4x4 (i say older because i dont know if they have had any updates or changes) and i just picked up a 4000mah 45c 3s pack for it. the thing rips!

I blasted it around yesterday testing out the new found freedom, and when i was done (not even one battery worth) the motor was very hot, like can't touch it at all hot.

I would like to install some sort of heatsink on the motor to help with cooling, but I'm not sure which one to get. I dont want a fan or anything, just a heatsink. I see them on ebay for ~$10 but I'm not sure its the right one.

Anyone have any input?

I have an older brushless slash 4x4 (i say older because i dont know if they have had any updates or changes) and i just picked up a 4000mah 45c 3s pack for it. the thing rips!

I blasted it around yesterday testing out the new found freedom, and when i was done (not even one battery worth) the motor was very hot, like can't touch it at all hot.

I would like to install some sort of heatsink on the motor to help with cooling, but I'm not sure which one to get. I dont want a fan or anything, just a heatsink. I see them on ebay for ~$10 but I'm not sure its the right one.

Anyone have any input?

Lol...if it rips ,then something must be wrong!.......:hehe:

It goes by can size. 380, 540, etc. Same for brushless.

full

The thing is your running a 3 cell lipo on a 3500kv motor sure traxxas says you can run it but how long?. you wont find a answer id go back to a 2 cell and gear it up if you need to the alluminum clamp on will work but your motor and esc are still taking all that heat the 3 cell creates..just my 1cents worth. I have set rules when you want to run more than 2 cells. one is 1050kv per cell .. is my max

The thing is your running a 3 cell lipo on a 3500kv motor sure traxxas says you can run it but how long?. you wont find a answer id go back to a 2 cell and gear it up if you need to the alluminum clamp on will work but your motor and esc are still taking all that heat the 3 cell creates..just my 1cents worth. I have set rules when you want to run more than 2 cells. one is 1050kv per cell .. is my max

That is exactly what I did ,tried 3s an it ripped ,but things got a little heated ,so I quit using 3s an I only use the 2s!... :cool:

There's a name I haven't seen in a while. I had a similar problem on mERV. I added a couple of teeth to the pinion and that seemed to cool it down on 3s to a reasonable level. Heat sinks can help and come in the sizes that @Rolex mentioned. You can also find fans to help cool down the ESC.

would it be worth an aluminum mount and plate as well? I dont want to build it like Rolex's Savage, but those seem to be key parts that could be stronger, plus the aluminum would dissipate heat faster.

would it be worth an aluminum mount and plate as well? I dont want to build it like Rolex's Savage, but those seem to be key parts that could be stronger, plus the aluminum would dissipate heat faster.
That wouldn't hurt. You're right that it wouldn't be for a bling build but for heat dissipation.

Here's another one of my Savages, this one an electric conversion. ESC mounted on aluminum heat sink mount and fans blowing sideways across it.
1597184836948.png

Here's another one of my Savages, this one an electric conversion. ESC mounted on aluminum heat sink mount and fans blowing sideways across it.View attachment 123038

That is some serious cooling. Darn near have enough fans to blow the truck down the track. Does your ESC get that hot?

LOL... I'm not surprised. Does the motor get hot? About a year ago, I saw a guy running a Kyosho twin force at construction site. Holy crap that thing was fast. It had two motors on it. The only problem was, he could turn it unless he practically stopped or it would flip.

I hate to tell you this, @Rolex, but there's speck of dust on one of the fans....

OH SNAP!!! You're right! I have now lost all respect for this project, Mr Rolex. For shame, for shame! Can I have it?

Back