Dummy here about drifting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikeTop

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Just gotta ask this one,
How do the drifting cars 'work'? What makes them slide around so much? Is the track covered with silicone? I don't understand the how?

Thanks,

Just gotta ask this one,
How do the drifting cars 'work'? What makes them slide around so much? Is the track covered with silicone? I don't understand the how?

Thanks,
Most of them have plastic wheels that are very slippery, those are for guys who can't actually drift IMHO ;)

Id agree on the plastic wheels..very hard no traction..no silicon.

Most of them have plastic wheels that are very slippery, those are for guys who can't actually drift IMHO ;)

Cool, let's see some of your vids of RC drifting. And just to be clear, by drifting, I mean controlled slides on a course that has been previously laid out, not just random sliding a truck in the dirt. Something like this;

haha, I'm not saying I'm a good drifter. I'm just saying people used to be able to drift without plastic wheels.

also, just for the record, I can barely kinda once in awhile drift without plastic wheels, pretty much anyone could beat me.

haha, I'm not saying I'm a good drifter. I'm just saying people used to be able to drift without plastic wheels.

That all depends on the surface they are running on, and the car setup. No different than real life other than we have hard ABS tires for certain surfaces simply because we don't have handbrakes, clutch kicks, etc in the RC world.

That all depends on the surface they are running on, and the car setup. No different than real life other than we have hard ABS tires for certain surfaces simply because we don't have handbrakes, clutch kicks, etc in the RC world.
A lot of people also just spray water on cement and drift that way

A lot of people also just spray water on cement and drift that way
No they don't. At least not actual RC drfiters.
I think he meant RC cars. Whenever it rained, my neighbor and I would be out in the driveway while it was still wet, drifting our 4WD Traxxas monster trucks.

I think he meant RC cars. Whenever it rained, my neighbor and I would be out in the driveway while it was still wet, drifting our 4WD Traxxas monster trucks.
yeah, I did.

A freshly mopped kitchen floor works great but the tough part is convincing the wife its for a good cause...

Then the thread title is misleading in that case. Actual drifting on a pre-set course vs sliding around and doing doughnuts uncontrolled are two entirely different things.

Then the thread title is misleading in that case. Actual drifting on a pre-set course vs sliding around and doing doughnuts uncontrolled are two entirely different things.
Gotcha. We were totally out of control.
Aside from that, I don't think drifting can be done with 4WD.

Last edited:
Gotcha. We were totally out of control.
Aside from that, I don't think drifting can be done with 4WD.
I was able to get a few controlled drifts in my slash 4x4 :)

Back