Ambitious Non R/C project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitordie

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello to all that may be reading this, I am a game warden who has come up with an ambitious idea to create a custom mailbox to mirror my issued truck. I am wanting to try and get a 1/6 scale shell or mold and i really don't know where to start. My truck is a 16 Dodge Ram 1500. My hopes are that if i am successful in creating an awesome mailbox, I can duplicate it for some of my peers who have said they would want one as well. From my research i can have one 3d printed but would cost me a small fortune in designing and printing it just for me to cut it down to fit a box inside it. So I am hoping the RC world may be willing to help. I am a drone pilot myself so i know how resourceful forums like these can yield valuable information. If this isn't allowed or is in the wrong spot please let me know and ill move it to the proper place. Thank you!

I moved it where it will get the attention it deserves. Good luck with it.
You might want to see if New Bright or Nikko has a version of that truck. I have 3 of their Humm Vees that I've turned into fully detailed military vehicles using ONLY the body shells. They are toys in the world of RC but the detail of their bodies is top notch.
They are 1/6 scale. Big stuff.

Last edited:
Hitordie. Id suggest that you dont use a rc body as they dont like the hot sun or cold.. If you have a propane torch id get some alumiloy rods and some aluminum sheets and start to create this mailbox...I have seen many types and styles from wood to steel( helped my welding techr build 1 from 1/4 diamond plate ..right sparks

Hitordie. Id suggest that you dont use a rc body as they dont like the hot sun or cold..

I guess I should have specified my intent. My initial idea was to take an RC body and do a fiberglass mold. My thinking would be to airbrush it and seal it with an automotive clear coat (I know a guy) which would make it last much longer plus if i had a mold and broke something i could recast it. With all that being said I have never done any of it and therefor asking for pointers and advice. I have seriously thought about fabing it up from aluminum but i would prefer to have it fairly accurate/detailed which would require a fair amount of tools i dont have.

I love a good challenge. Good luck with it, I am looking forward to seeing it finished.

I just did a little looking and sure enough, New Bright makes one. Not sure what year this one is but it has to be pretty close. This is at Overstock.com but they are currently out of stock.
https://www.overstock.com/Sports-To...-Monster-Truck-1-6-Scale/7299769/product.html

Here's another:
https://www.rcscrapyard.net/new-bright-1-6-dodge-ram-hemi.htm

Here's the 'Images' page at Google with the related info of which site it's from:
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...nAhUCheAKHaVwDywQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1525&bih=757

I just did a little looking and sure enough, New Bright makes one. Not sure what year this one is but it has to be pretty close. This is at Overstock.com but they are currently out of stock.

i have located that and found just the top of it on ebay for $55. I'm not sure if that is a good price but certainly would be a good base to start with. I only wish it had 4 doors but could certainly make do with it if i could get it for a decent price.

I don't know why, but quite often only the body is available on Ebay. I once found a Humm Vee on Ebay that didn't run, had no battery, charger or controller, for $100 PLUS $30.00 shipping. I emailed him and told him I already had purchased one BRAND NEW for $125 and would give him $60 shipped. I got it. :thumbs-up:
Watch out for the shipping charges on some of those ebay sales. I found one yesterday that I didn't list here because he wanted an insane amount of money to ship. I think it was $70 for body only and another $55 to ship. Absolutely NOT worth that.
You could always stretch it and add the other doors to it before making the mold. The bodies are hard plastic and easy to work with as far as using epoxy, body fillers and paints.

Back